Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 E350 CDI & 2017 C300 Cabrio
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a couple to look at, and found a very nice single owner, clean carfax, black, with 90k miles on it. I have the repair/maint history from the dealership which looks decent and the car is in very nice shape, save for a few chips here and there, but overall paint looks very nice as do the wheels and undercarrieage. It is going to my independent benz mechanic for a good look before I pull the trigger. Right now my game plan is for him to check for any codes, inspect the suspension, exhaust, fuel & brake lines, brake system, belts & hoses. I'm also going to have him pull the engine cover and take a look at the injectors. If all goes well, I'll have him do fluid & filter changes (brake, oil, tranny, fuel, air) and start fresh. I've searched the CDI on this forum up and down, and am looking for anything else that you experts may think is necessary to take a hard look at pre-purchase. This will be my main driver, although I will have other options available. I'd like to utilize this car for family vacations and other mid-distant travel, so I'm hoping for dependability. Any additional input is appreciated.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
Hopefully he has pulled an injector on one of these engines previously.

It's an aluminum head, and sometimes injectors don't come out easily.

I'd think twice regarding putting this engine in the hands of someone without factory training and access to factory documentation.

·
Registered
2012 E350 CDI & 2017 C300 Cabrio
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I've done some pretty good research!

Didn't have my mechanic pull the injectors, just do a visual (& nasal) inspection to check for leaky seals and any of the tell tale signs of the melting plastic/insulation from the cover. It checked out well.

Everything else passed muster, so tomorrow I'll be picking up the CDI and a 2005 CLK Cabrio, which my mechanic was gushing about. It's a very well maintained, low mileage vehicle in excellent shape. My wife is very excited. She didn't really care for the 70 280SL that I had. Being a vintage car, it did need a bit of attention, but a very fun car to drive as well as being a head turner.

Next week, the CDI will be at the mechanics for a full service and fix a few minor things my mechanic found, and then the following week, I'm going to have the tranny in the CLK serviced along with a brake flush. Hopefully, tomorrow will the be start of many good days with the 2 Benz.

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
You should get some good service out of the cdi. Mine is smooth and refined and very classy.

I'm nearing 100k miles on my 2006 and I'm looking for 500,000 more.. The body and electronics probably won't make it but the engine... No problems..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts