Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a 1973 450 SL.

Owned one 30+ years ago and remember it being a fun vehicle. I prefer the smaller bumpers, the engine and no cat converter.

Currently own a '95 E320 cabriolet.

Know something about the E320 but almost nothing about a 1973 450SL, today.

What should I look for in the vehicle?

What's a fair price for a nice 150K mile 450SL?

Thank you and kind regards,

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Thinking about buying a 1973 450 SL.

Owned one 30+ years ago and remember it being a fun vehicle. I prefer the smaller bumpers, the engine and no cat converter.

Currently own a '95 E320 cabriolet.

Know something about the E320 but almost nothing about a 1973 450SL, today.

What should I look for in the vehicle?

What's a fair price for a nice 150K mile 450SL?

Thank you and kind regards,
There are buying guides in the stickies (Encyclopedia Germanica) and then at this site too.. The price guide at mb107.com is out of date, but their prices for a 1973 450SL look about right. Maybe a bit high?

What you are looking at, is a 107 SL with Djetronic electric fuel injection. They were only made in 1972-1975. The 72 and 73 are very similar and don't have cats. (I have a 72). Encyclopedia Germanica has a section on the Djet which may be worth reading (covers common faults)

The D-jets, although very simple (even elegant ;) ) can be tricky if someone has messed with them.

I would start the engine from cold and watch as it warms up. It should at first idle quite fast for short period, then slow down a bit and gradually increase to about 1100rpm. It should then gradually go down to about 700rpm as engine warms up. If it starts to rev much higher and surges, then it may have the common sticky Aux Air Valve. Make sure engine idles smoothly. Then take for a run. It should be quite peppy and transmission should change smoothly. If it is a warm day and you get the car fully warmed up, stop, have a chat and try starting again after about 30min. If it won't start easily, it may have the common hot-start problem.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I own a 73, and love it.............. the first two years are special in my opinion...................

It all depends on the condition and maintenance records.............

If you have a link that we can see what condition it's in, it might help..................

I live three hours north of Detroit, and might be able to look at it with you, what part of the United States do you reside in???

As for a fair price, it depends on condition, anywhere from $2000 to $20,000.......................................

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,468 Posts
Many areas it has lived the last forty plus years are prone to rust. Any rust visible is a deal breaker for me.

Location of "United States" is ridiculous IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
rowdie
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing