Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 ML 430
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I'm new to this forum, although I've been lurking for a long while now.

I'm thinking of buying a '92 300E, The car has 128K miles on it and the seller says it's in very good mechanical and cosmetic condition. He want's $4000 for it.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this is a fair asking price? Also, he mentioned that the only maintenance he's done to it are brakes and oil.

How difficult are these cars to mantain and what kind of maintenance can I expect to see on this car?

Any information you could provide would help me

Thanks!

·
Moderately subtle
94 E500, 97 500SL
12,184 Posts
rain///man said:
Hello.

I'm thinking of buying a '92 300E, The car has 128K miles on it and the seller says it's in very good mechanical and cosmetic condition. He want's $4000 for it.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this is a fair asking price? Also, he mentioned that the only maintenance he's done to it are brakes and oil.

How difficult are these cars to mantain and what kind of maintenance can I expect to see on this car?

Thanks!
Take it to a dealer and have it inspected, especially drive train and suspension. I'm assuming you've verified electricals work. Price seems OK provided there's not another $4k of work to be done.

·
Registered
1992 W124 300ce sportline , {1992 W201 2.6 (totalled) }
395 Posts
rain///man said:
Hello.

Thanks!
Check for head gasket repair !!- if not check for radiator filler cap and fluid to see if it is clean -- 100 K is where a head gasket can start failing..

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The price seems reasonable but it's really hard to say without more information. The best way to know a good deal is to learn the market - go look at a lot of cars. There's a lot of junk out there so if this is a nice car that drives out nicely it's probably a fair deal. A 92 300E is one of the best cars there is for a DIYer - fairly simple and quite a bit of room in the engine bay. There is a repair book available - Haynes, as well as the factory service CD. That was a good year for a good car.

·
Registered
99 ML 430
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all that information. I'll take it to a dealer and get a compression and leak down test done on it.

Just one other question, are parts very readily available for these cars?

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes C280, 2000 Mercedes E320 4-Matic
373 Posts
They aren't to hard to come by, between my mechanic and online I have gotten parts that I have needed.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
MB literally made more than a million of the 124 chassis. Most parts can be found on ebay, breaker yards, etc.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It actually kind of scares me that the guy says the only maintenance he's done is brakes and oil. These cars tend to be higher maintenance than that... So yes, the inspection is very important.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts