Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats going on? My mom is about to buy this 1987 Mercedes Benz 300E, it has an automatic transmission and inline six cylinder engine, does $2500 sound good? It was an exciting drive and the car got to 80mph quickly, and back down to 0 decently as well. The guy selling it says he never put 91 octane gas in the tank eventhough thats what the owners manual calls for, would this damage anything? He did have other receipts for regular maintance and replacemnt of the alternator and starter, etc. The car has 210,000 miles on it, whenever on a drive and I get out I could smell something could be oil or brakes since i did a brake test. The guy selling it says that it uses a little oil, i saw a little leak spot on the driveway, but i think it also burns some. could this oil burning turn into a problem? how much milage can or has been seen on one of these 6 cylinders and the auto transmission? Is there a search bar in this forum? How about a FAQ? or some links? one more question about the car, the passenger side power seat does not slide forward however it does slide back, is this a common problem? whats the most likely culprit? Thanks alot ,
Zach

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
is your mom a mechanic and/or a car enthusiast? if she isn't, this car is a bad choice for her. might be a great choice for you, a young guy. but in my experience, most middle-aged women don't like the hassles associated with owning an 18-year old car with over 200,000 miles that leak oil and will inevitably need a lot of visits to the mechanic...

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Well said Janoz..
M103 engines have been known to routinely go 300K plus
given being serviced religiously. It is like anything else. If it was well maintained and not abused by a young driver it will continue to provide reliable transportation. However, given the mileage it is inevitable that it will need parts replaced unless they already have been. Things like wheel bearings, shocks and struts, engine mounts, exhaust components, belts & hoses and of course routine maintenance items.

Your best bet is to find out a little more about the cars history and maintenance records. Offer $2,000

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry it took me long. Anyways i still live at home and will be doing most if not all of the work on the 300e, i currently work on Mazda RX-7's but my mom wants a back seat/sports car type of deal. My mom is a medium car enthusiast and she like benz, she drives my 1st gen rx7 a lot, she used to have a triumph spitfire so i guess. I want to learn how to work on the car, where is an informational website i can learn about it? i think i saw it has a M104 engine? 3.0 liter inline six, right? how much horsepower? i think i saw 190hp. 0-60 in 7.5? 0-1/4mile in 16.0? it seems like the interior blower motor fan never stops running and is in automatic mode. im still searching my self on the net, but thanks anyways.
Zach

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
1987 model year 300E has a 3 Litre SOHC engine (M103)
M104 is the twin cam version which came in 300CE (coupe)
The 50 state version M103 produced 177 hp. @5700rpm.
and 188 ft.lbs. of torque @4100 rpm.
It has a 9.0:1 compression ratio and uses CIS fuel injection system (continuous injection systeme)
also known as KE-jetronic III electo mechanical injection. Factory says its good for 137mph. I have seen an indicated 140 in mine (89 300E) same engine.
Zero to 60 is more like 7.8 to 8 secs.

If you still hear the blower even after switching to full off, you will need a blower control unit.(actual pushbutton unit w/ temp. dial)

Great car by any standard, not quick off the line because it starts in 2nd gear but able to cruise comfortably at 100 plus for long distances.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts