Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying this used 1999 SLK 230 with 88k miles on it. Owner says it is in great condition and is clean etc, and is going to let me take to mechanic be4 i buy. Price im shooting for is 8-9k. What are your experiences, and knowledge of 1999 SLK's that are 10 years old. I just love this model, esp with some minor mods and the price is so affordable. Is it possible the repairs may be even more than a 05 model in the longrun (r171)? Honestly In ways I like the r170 better, but if going to spend nearly 20k on an newer r170 would rather get a 05 model for resale value. I've read all over the internet that the SLK 230 is a great and reliable car with easy maintenance. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Well as far as I know the maintenance stuff you might experience soon could be:

MAF sensor (200$)
Spark Plugs
Depending on the condition of the transmission right now (They can last 150k miles)
Fuel Pump (maybe within 20k it might need changed)
Trunk Hydraulic lifts
PSE or Hydraulic rams for the roof

As far as I know that is the most common stuff with that mileage. I'll tell you about my 2000 SLK230. It has 96k miles, I just redid the clutch (other owner probably didn't take care of it at all). The clutch was slipping even when we bought it, but very minor. Replaced 2 shift linkage parts, manual transmission only. Replaced faulty MAF sensor. Replaced spark plugs. No problems with any hydraulic rams for the convertible top. Replaced the 2 pumps for the trunk.

I, personally, have done some performance mods.. so it could affect what goes wrong sooner, etc. That is just my experience with the SLK230, I've had mine since April... but it is right at the mileage point where you need to be careful

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Man, BTW the car in question is an Automatic. Really considering buying unless theres a big risk I'm going to be spending over 5grand in repairs in the next year or so. From your post seems like if this car was kept in a good care should be cool. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
My only thing to say is the Rams for the roof, there are 4 in total I believe, can go out kind of at random. As I said, I had been opening and closing mine almost 4 times a day... I have no problems still. Some people have had problems at the same mileage though! The Rams, to replace ALL 4 can be almost 4000$, but you CAN replace them individually for less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow did not know the hydrolic/ram things would be so costly. I was more worried about the mechanics and function of the car that make it drive. Maybe I just don't know enough about cars (cause I really don't). So I'm going to read more about how the engine/mechanics function cause thats all I'm really afraid of. I wan't to make sure the car will drive good for a while until I could possibly sell it again in a year or two. Thanks for the additional advice hehe I won't be putting the top up & down thats for sure until I really need to when it gets warmer out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I concur

The comments posted are on point. I have had mine for about 6 months and have had no major mechanical issues apart from 1 ram for the roof. The dealer quoted over $4K to replace all 5 rams and I found an indy to replace the faulty one for $700.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm thinking about buying this used 1999 SLK 230 with 88k miles on it. Owner says it is in great condition and is clean etc, and is going to let me take to mechanic be4 i buy. Price im shooting for is 8-9k. What are your experiences, and knowledge of 1999 SLK's that are 10 years old. I just love this model, esp with some minor mods and the price is so affordable. Is it possible the repairs may be even more than a 05 model in the longrun (r171)? Honestly In ways I like the r170 better, but if going to spend nearly 20k on an newer r170 would rather get a 05 model for resale value. I've read all over the internet that the SLK 230 is a great and reliable car with easy maintenance. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
I am the first and only owner of my '98 auto model/55K mi (build year is 1997): Battery replaced after 5 years. Camshaft sensor after 9 years (even though that was probably not necessary - I think the noise motivating was ultimately traced to a $20 idler pulley). Nothing else even though I drive it all year around, in sun or snow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Six months ago I bought a 98-230 with 65,000 miles on it for $12,500. Garage kept not a scratch on it, one owner, 60yr old woman, all records. The first thing I would suggest is to change all the fluids. I took it to a indy mech. and had the engine flushed, trans. fluid, dirr. fluid, power steering, brake fluid and the trans, mount changed out. Costs-$575.00. I would also do some basic easy maintanance yourself.

Oil changes can be done for about $47.00 (get a topsider)
Spark plugs can be changed out for about $12.00
Air filter-$11.00
cabin filter-$22.00
Fuel filter-$18.00 ( I take my truck to one of those basic oil changing places and gave him $20.00 to replace fuel filter)
Changed belts-$45.00--did not show any wear but probably time to change anyway.
Lubricated all hinges

The only repair that has been required is a camshaft sensor ( per check engine light). Bought it for $120.00 and installed in about 10 minutes.

I buy most everything off the net. The sticky's on this sight has saved me so much $$$$$$.

Car runs and looks brand new.

ps when she gave me all the records, she still had the window sticker. She ordered it in 1998 and it took ten months to get it. The sticker is for $43.650.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just bought mine Nov 1st. 99 SLK Auto Sport 59K miles for 11,300. I don't think it was the best $$ deal but the car is in good condition. This site has allowed me to do the following myself. 7-8K is a steal in my opinion.

Changed oil
Changed diff fluid
Changed air filter
Fixed power steering leak and changed most of the fluid
Fixed windshield washer leak
Checked motor mounts (good)
Checked spark plugs (good)
Checked PSE pump it was ok(controls locks and alarm etc)

Left to do is:
Fuel filter
Cabin filter
Tranny fluid maybe it works just fine(might just leave it till 100K)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought '98 SLK for $13k 2,5 years ago with 90k miles on it. So far I replaced transmission (rebuilded $3000), 2 Main cilinders for roof ($700), trunk shocks ($70) twice. Thats it! All job done myself (exept transmission). It is 106k miles now, car runs perfect.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Had mine nearly 3 years, No faults to speak of :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies guys.

Tosha.3: Ouch 3k on the transmission? What was wrong with it and what should I lookout for a bad transmission?

·
Registered
179 Posts
it was fine when I bought it, but after month or two it starts to kick when I put it on "D" and from 1st gear to 2nd. Later become worse and worse, untill one day it stuck on limp mode (2nd gear) . So I think 90k miles it is close to limit for automation transmission (may be it is just myne). I bought refurbished trans from Arizona for $2500 ($500 for labor in indy shop) and now I'm good for next 100k! Look for any kicking in transmission behavior.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
So I think 90k miles it is close to limit for automation transmission (may be it is just myne).
90K Miles the transmission should just be run in. The same auto transmission (722.6) is used in much bigger benzes (E Class, M class, S class, etc.) with much bigger engines and 200K+ without problems is common. All the AMG models uses only this gearbox, since it is the strongest box that MB makes.

So you must have had a dud or badly mistreated box.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
slk generally is a very low maintenance ride compared to the new slk. my brother has a 171 and it keeps going back and fort to the shop more than i do. hehehe. considering that he got it bnew from the dealership

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mileage diplay. Tamper proof?

Hello guys. I have been thinking lately to get myself an slk 230 '96 which i found for sale. Owner says its in good condition and runs well. Mileage at 65K plus based on dashboard display. Can this digital mileage be in anyway reset or tampered to show lower mileage to impress buyers? Generally the unit looks well interior and exterior. Can anybody help with my concern? Thanks guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts