Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300TD Estate
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys..i am buying a 1991 300TE 4matic wagon, or should say "will buy" one if I get the ok from you guys here.

I am new to the 124 forum and so have no clue as to what to look for or look out for in a pre purchase inspection by myself.

I have 123 and 126 experience, so being a noobie on the 124 please break it down for me on what to reall look out for with the car...

it has 93k on it and is black on black and looks great and runs great as well...

please advise...

Thx

·
Registered
92 300TE 4matic
33 Posts
Guys..i am buying a 1991 300TE 4matic wagon, or should say "will buy" one if I get the ok from you guys here.

I am new to the 124 forum and so have no clue as to what to look for or look out for in a pre purchase inspection by myself.

I have 123 and 126 experience, so being a noobie on the 124 please break it down for me on what to reall look out for with the car...

it has 93k on it and is black on black and looks great and runs great as well...

please advise...

Thx
I have a 1992 300TE 4matic that I have had now for almost 6 years. I bought it with 59k on it. I was fortunate that the car had complete repair records, as the 4 matic unit had been replaced--a big expense that is not uncommon. Since that time I have had several major repairs: head gasket (common problem--look for leaks); AC evaporator: front axles; blower motor; ac compressor; and a radiator. The car now has almost 140k on it and it looks and drives well. I expect to be driving it for quite a while. These cars are not inexpensive to keep up, but for the value, quality and drive you get it seems worth it. And on the whole for 6 years of driving the expenses seem reasonable.

If you are serious about this car I would hire a good independent mechanic to go over the car. Past service records are highly desired as you can look to see if the head gasket and 4matic unit have ben replaced. Also, the purchase price must be reasonable ($3k-$5k) for very good condition and/or $5k -$6K for excellent condition. Please note these prices reflect my personal view-others may want to join in.

Most importantly, I cannot stress enough the value of an independent inspection and prior repair records. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1980 300TD Estate
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Burl...

I would be paying $2500 for the car...not sure of records, if any...so what do you think I might come up against at 93k...if the 4matic is toast how would I know?..and if so can I dis-engage it or is the repair that expensive?

Other cost you mentioned as well such as head gasket etc....so what I am possibly looking into as far as potential repair costs????

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
Burl...

So what I am possibly looking into as far as potential repair costs????
Possibly very little IF you get a good Pre Purchase Inspection by someone who knows these cars.....

Possibly triple the purchase price if you go in blindly.

Burl gave you good advice, take it

·
Registered
92 300TE 4matic
33 Posts
Head gasket repair by a mechanic $1300-$1500. 4 matic was replaced by mercedes in 2003 at $2700.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts