Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother owns a 04 C230 Sedan w/ auto trans currently has 100K mileage. She has owned it since new. She is the market for a new car now and was just going to trade it in.

I am sure she would let me have it for $6K. What should I look for on this car. The check engine light is on (came on after a fillup).

What do I need to look for or what are the major concerns of this vehicle in particular?

Thanks,
RON

·
Registered
25 Posts
Please don't take this response the wrong way, but other than known issues that can be searched for you should just straight up ask your mom if anything is wrong with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please don't take this response the wrong way, but other than known issues that can be searched for you should just straight up ask your mom if anything is wrong with it.
I understand how forums work "newb use the Search." I was a mechanic; so I was looking for more of a technical side of things.

On here no one discusses the "head problem" other than, "the dealer said $3000." Thats of no help.

I was hoping someone had a tutorial on how to check this stuff; short of actually pulling the valve cover or head completely. As far as asking my mother its fine, but that doesn't say much (if it goes, its good to her).

This is the first Mercedes forum I have been on; and from what I have been searching most people on here take there cars in for oil changes which to me is funny.

Sorry for the thread. MODS feel free to delete.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
If you are a mechanic, find a colleague in your area that is familiar with that model and pick their brain. A good mechanic should know what to look for when purchasing a used car.

Excuse me while I shove off to the dealer to have my washer fluid topped off..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are a mechanic, find a colleague in your area that is familiar with that model and pick their brain. A good mechanic should know what to look for when purchasing a used car.

Excuse me while I shove off to the dealer to have my washer fluid topped off..
Pardon me for coming on to the Mercedes car forum and asking a Mercedes specific question. I was looking for someone to point me a the right direction as it pertains to this vehicle (C230 sport sedan).

Not to be rude, but you only justified what I was saying "find a colleague in your area that is familiar with that model and pick their brain." I personally don't know any Mercedes techs. I joined this forum to pick your brain!

Your a MOD delete the thread.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
Since the 'check engine' light is on, if you have the OBD-II diagnostics code reader, read the codes. If you don't have a code reader, take the car to car parts store; usually, they read codes for free. Without the codes, it'll be like shooting in the dark.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I understand how forums work "newb use the Search." I was a mechanic; so I was looking for more of a technical side of things.

On here no one discusses the "head problem" other than, "the dealer said $3000." Thats of no help.

I was hoping someone had a tutorial on how to check this stuff; short of actually pulling the valve cover or head completely. As far as asking my mother its fine, but that doesn't say much (if it goes, its good to her).

This is the first Mercedes forum I have been on; and from what I have been searching most people on here take there cars in for oil changes which to me is funny.

Sorry for the thread. MODS feel free to delete.
Don't get me wrong, I just bought the same year, same model, same trans just exactly 2 months ago and would be happy if someone laid it all out right here. What I said was just specifically for the car coming from your mom, to ask if something doesn't work straight up (which wouldn't matter what kind of car it is).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't get me wrong, I just bought the same year, same model, same trans just exactly 2 months ago and would be happy if someone laid it all out right here. What I said was just specifically for the car coming from your mom, to ask if something doesn't work straight up (which wouldn't matter what kind of car it is).
I here what your saying, but my Honda forum (ephatch.com) would anwser this question so much differently.

I have found a ton more info from searching web. So I kind of know what I am looking for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts