Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I drove my SL to work and at lunch I'm going down to have the mileage verified so I can get me one o' them high mileage badges. I wonder how I'll attach it. MB content is now over.

I did it, I bought the seats that I wanted for the Toyota. They're on a semi, on their way to be dropped off at my company's loading dock. They're supposed to arrive on Wednesday. I'm having buyer's remorse. What the hell was I thinking, throwing money at these seats? I did it right after I got back from a long trip in the Toyota, my legs and butt hurt from the ride, and I just wanted to replace them. But are the current seats really that bad? What if I'm wrong and the wires don't just plug right in? What if I miswire them and all the airbags blow as soon as I hook the battery back up? What if they're so heavy the damned thing will barely move because I've got these massive leather 14 way adjustable power seats instead of the light (badly padded and upholstered) stock seats?

Maybe I'll see them, all the buyer's remorse will disappear, and this weekend is a long weekend so I can take my time and get them installed properly. I hope.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,336 Posts
I did it right after I got back from a long trip in the Toyota, my butt hurt from the ride, and I just wanted to replace them.
Maybe you should work on your butt, instead.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too late, they're already bought and paid for.
Seats.jpg
I'll have lots of buttons to play with. The seat pad slides in or out. There's upper and lower lumbar adjustment. The headrest goes up or down with the power button. As the review said, if I can't find a comfortable position in these seats....

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,193 Posts
At least....

...at least you will now have an expensive Rav 4. In about 3 years time, the seats will be worth more than the car :)

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In about 3 years time, the seats will be worth more than the car :)
That's why I got it. It lets me haul stuff, and I can drive it until it falls apart without having to worry about losing much. The fact that I could just write a check for it instead of financing was a big bonus, too.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have we been here before? Are you sure those things will fit...?
The only thing I'm not sure about is the wiring for the occupancy sensor and the seat belts. Oh, and getting power to them, but that should be the easiest part. As far as the mounting rails go, they're the same size as nearly every other Toyota and Lexus out there: 17" center to center wide and 17.5" center to center deep. They'll bolt right in.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
I'm still confused. Why do you own only 1 Mercedes and 2 of them there Japanese things? Seems a bit deranged to me...

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still confused. Why do you own only 1 Mercedes and 2 of them there Japanese things? Seems a bit deranged to me...
Because the 1 Mercedes eats up twice as much gas as both them Japanese things put together.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ Yeah, and how well do you think that would handle hauling a dishwasher home from Lowe's?

Anyway, I'm looking for feedback from people familiar with modification of vehicles. The standard seat in a RAV has an unequal seat pedestal. The outer rail is significantly lower (~2") than the inner rail. I have two choices here, and I'm already leaning one way but I'd like to get some additional feedback.

I can modify the floor pan of the car, cutting away the metal channel they use to fasten the seat, or I can go to a machine shop and have them weld me up a new pedestal. I'm leaning toward the machine shop, both because that would leave the car untouched and the original seats could go back in, and because I don't know how much (if any) that channel lends to the structural strength of the body.

What say you?

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Eventually. When they get around to it. If they're in the mood, and you pay them. Most of the time.
Lowes is actually pretty good. It's Home Depot that left us waiting and waiting last time...

Go the machine shop route. Don't modify the vehicle floor pan unless you absolutely must.

FWIW: The original seats in my Mazda Tribute are extremely comfortable. And to think it's actually a Ford...

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,336 Posts
The standard seat in a RAV has an unequal seat pedestal. The outer rail is significantly lower (~2") than the inner rail. I'm already leaning one way.
If you are leaning AWAY from the lower rail, then you're all set.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've neglected to post on these seats for a while because it looked like I'd made a horrible mistake. The passenger seat is in and has been great. The driver seat refused to move, no matter what I did. I looked at the wiring and it seemed obvious that the seat wouldn't move without the seat CPU and this seat didn't seem to include one. Argh.

Finally broke down and ordered the electrical schematic from the Lexus dealership - $75 and it's a bound manual. No shit, a whole book just for the electrical. Every damned thing in the car (including the refrigerated fold-down center armrest/storage bin for the back seat) connects to a computer somewhere. Without digging too much more, I started calling around to find the seat CPU. No one had it available. So I looked in the book a little more.

Ah, the seat does include the CPU, it's built-in to the seat switches. I traced out the power supply for everything and it turns out I had to connect 3 wires to power and 3 more wires to ground. That gives the CPU 2 sources of power, plus the main power that gets routed to the seat motors. I hooked everything up this morning and the seat works beautifully. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get the brackets for the driver side built and then I'll install it this coming weekend. Hot damn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts