Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THe buttons on my 2001 CLK430 Cab steering wheel are losing their transparent coating which is peeling off like clear stickey snot. Apparently something I applied to clean wheel dissolved the clear coating on the buttons. Looks like little clear boogers around the edges and most of coating is gone. Can the buttons be replaced? Where can they be purchased except from the dealer who wants $250 + to replace.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
20 Posts
I have the same problem

I have a 2002 CLK430 Coupe and I have the same problem. The buttons are like they have tape residue all over them or something and all attempts to clean them just seem to make it worse. The whole steering wheel surface is actually really "sticky" too. I just purchased the car and that's the way I got it. I really didn't notice it until I tried to clean it up, then it got really bad........

·
Registered
clk
198 Posts
You can replace the controls yourself. All you have to do is remove the airbag and change them out. The last price I got for the controls were @ $100.00 from the dealer. The job shouldn't take longer than 1 hr.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
theradiostationguy said:
I have a 2002 CLK430 Coupe and I have the same problem. The buttons are like they have tape residue all over them or something and all attempts to clean them just seem to make it worse. The whole steering wheel surface is actually really "sticky" too. I just purchased the car and that's the way I got it. I really didn't notice it until I tried to clean it up, then it got really bad........

Yep. That's it exactly.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
20 Posts
Thanks

Thanks, I will stop by my dealer and see what's what with replacements. I used some goo gone on them yesterday and I kind of like the look and feel of the buttons without the rubber coating..... maybe I'll leave them like that, who knows.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts