Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
ML 500 FEb 2003
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody knows what this button with a washer looking thing underneath it. It is on top of dash above instruments panel. You can lift it up with your finger nail about 12mm didn,t force it any further. Any suggestions Thanks Cliff

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
What happens when you press the button?

Bluefin 565 - 5/15/2005 5:18 PM

Just wondering if anybody knows what this button with a washer looking thing underneath it. It is on top of dash above instruments panel. You can lift it up with your finger nail about 12mm didn,t force it any further. Any suggestions Thanks Cliff
Must be an Aussie thing. MLs in the States don't have that button...unless it was installed by an owner for whatever purpose I have no idea. Do you see wires connected inside the washer hole? Just curious.

·
Registered
ML500, 2005
412 Posts
Cover it up and the headlights will go on, this is the sensor for the automatic headlights, found on only later ML's and mostly 500 or special edition.
jd

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Sounds like the dummy day time running light sensor

jdanish - 5/15/2005 6:54 PM

Cover it up and the headlights will go on, this is the sensor for the automatic headlights, found on only later ML's and mostly 500 or special edition.
jd
for the DRLs used to prevent accidents with the legally blind and over 70 crowd. Again--Not a 48 state option for normally imported MLs. Does it in fact cause the regular headlights to go on or just the special DRL bulbs located in the high beam area of the '02 and beyond projection Hella housings? Just curious. This is not a cost effective mod for a '99 like I have. Or even possible? Nice to have I suppose but not needed as one can logically turn on their own headlights when it is dark outside.

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
LOCHS 2: From my 2005 ML500SE owners manaul page 108! When the light switch is on auto and the engine running the low beam headlights--tail and parking lights--license plate lamps---side marker lamps will illuminate when the little black button senses darkness. If you hadn't spent so much on your mods and blower you too could have a newer ML with this wonderful MB feature that turns your headlights OFF during a lightning storm or bright freeway exit lights. Needless to say I don't use this feature. However if you put the switch in auto when you lock the vehicle and unlock with the fob when you return, the parking, tail, and interior lights come on. The ladies like that!! [8D]

·
Registered
ML 500 FEb 2003
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Covered Button up nothing happened put hand over the outside of windscreen above where the mirror is located which has little looking globes behind the glass and lights go on. Pulled up button further about 30mm had <PC> written on side and numbers on the other. Any more suggestions Cliff

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
dakat - 5/15/2005 9:03 PM

LOCHS 2: From my 2005 ML500SE owners manaul page 108! When the light switch is on auto and the engine running the low beam headlights--tail and parking lights--license plate lamps---side marker lamps will illuminate when the little black button senses darkness.
I know this from all of the '05 350s I get as loaners as I drop more coin on my ancient ML430. Thought maybe Canada & elsewhere was different...

If you hadn't spent so much on your mods and blower you too could have a newer ML with this wonderful MB feature that turns your headlights OFF during a lightning storm or bright freeway exit lights.
Yes, I'm missing out on this incredible safety feature. [:D]
I'm relegated to manually turning on my bi-xenon headlights and hella micro de xenon driving lights...ouch I pulled a muscle in my forearm.[:0][:(!]

Needless to say I don't use this feature.
How surprising. Why wouldn't you! lol

However if you put the switch in auto when you lock the vehicle and unlock with the fob when you return, the parking, tail, and interior lights come on. The ladies like that!! [8D]
Now that's what I'm talking about baby! money, money, money, mon-ey. And you don't lose any power from your battery reserve I assume? They'll appreciate that even more. [8D][:D]

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Bluefin 565 - 5/15/2005 7:09 PM

Covered Button up nothing happened put hand over the outside of windscreen above where the mirror is located which has little looking globes behind the glass and lights go on. Pulled up button further about 30mm had <PC> written on side and numbers on the other. Any more suggestions Cliff
Cliff, might be the sun sensor for the new for 2002 climate system.

·
Registered
2002 ML55K
2,292 Posts
Yes, its a sensor of some sort. The problem is that it's new with the 2002 model and that's also the year automatic headlights and automatic climate control both came out so it's anyone's guess what it does.

It's clearly not the only auto headlight sensor (I drove around with a leather glove over it and nothing happened) but I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of many sensors that work in concert. MB tends to make things fairly complex to handle situations like partial shade. Personally, I like the Toyota model better, just turn the lights off when you open the driver's side door.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
jdbower - 5/16/2005 5:04 AM
It's clearly not the only auto headlight sensor..
Hello Jeff, as far as I have figured the headlight sensor is integrated with the rain sensor. Bosch has some info on this, although I'm not sure they are the actual supplier for the ML. Toyota is one of their best customers, so they may have the Bosch system. Not sure.

====> <a href="http://rb-k.bosch.de/en/start/product_s_BE_5_REGENS.html"> more</a>

·
Registered
'02 ML 500
44 Posts
I believe the button is a sun load sensor. When the sun hits it, it increases the fan speed slightly on the A/C to keep the cabin more comfortable. On a sunny day, you can cover and uncover it and notice the fan speed change after a few seconds ('02+ I suppose).

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
MLMoose - 5/16/2005 8:03 AM

I believe the button is a sun load sensor. When the sun hits it, it increases the fan speed slightly on the A/C to keep the cabin more comfortable. On a sunny day, you can cover and uncover it and notice the fan speed change after a few seconds ('02+ I suppose).
Ja, MLMoose. And here I googled some info why this sun sensor is similar to a light detector, which might be quite confusing! This gismo is definately new to me.

====> <a href="http://www.bhtcgroup.de/en/sonnensensor.htm"> more</a>

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Wolfgang

I just wanted to chime in and let you know your free [to all of us out here anyway]contributions to the ML world are immeasureble. I just wanted to say thank you very much on behalf of those you don't typically hear it from. [8D]

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Lochs

You are welcome, Lochs. You might also like to take a look at this page I recently updated.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/performanceml.html

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
You're just tempting me to spend more money...

Wolfgang - 5/16/2005 7:02 PM

You are welcome, Lochs. You might also like to take a look at this page I recently updated.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/performanceml.html

lol. Thanks for sharing. Now, I need to go brush up on my deutsche and see what's available.[:I]

·
Registered
'02ML320
806 Posts
auto light function doesnt always work. its quite annoying. auto light on our bimmer is just as useless, but at least on bmw's, auto mode turns the lights on by default, but on mb its backward so its off until the car feels its dark enough. and whats up with not being able to turn the foglights on without turning the stalk all the way...

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,231 Posts
The button on the dash is a sensor that is used by the automatic climate control system to lower the cabin temperature when it detects radiant heat from sunlight. On multi-zone systems, it actually has the ability to determine the direction of the light and activate the appropriate cooling zone.

The sensor for the automatic headlamps is located in the rain sensor unit, as part of the rearview mirror housing. It is supposed to “look ahead� so that your headlights will be activated prior to entering a dark roadway, such as a tunnel.

- RODNEY

1 - 20 of 32 Posts