Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Business Class - Pics of my car

3037 Views 21 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  barry putnam
Hello All,
This is my car the S320. Following are the few modifications i did to the exterior:

**18x8.5 AMG Monoblocks with 245/45-18 Continental ContiExtreme Contacts

**S600 Grill

**Clear Corners

**4X Zaino Swirlfiller with Showcar Gloss Enhancer

Future mods: Osram/Phillips 6K Xenon upgrade and K&N Air filter

I do not put my hands in the engine, so there wont ever be any engine mods other than the air filter..

Comments or moans are welcome!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
Looking sharp !! [8D]Well done ///S320 !!![;)]You have done almost exactly the s...

Looking sharp !!
[8D]
Well done ///S320 !!!
[;)]

You have done almost exactly the same mods as me.

In addition I've got the rear clear corners and clear fender repeaters
I went for 255's instead of 245's to protect my beloved 18x8.5 original AMGs

I added a S600 grill just after I brought the car and figured I'd go all the way and add S600 & V12 side badges (I know, not for the purists amongst us)

My interior is pretty much standard apart from the factory benz centre telephone console and walnut gear selector (10 fold improvement on the walking stick type factory thingy).
I upgraded the sound system to something worthy of the car of this calabre with an Alpine IVA Minidisc/CDR-RW/TV/MP3/PS2/DVD player 6.5" widescreen

I get my car back on Monday - its gone in for a tranny overhaul.

Back to your car, I would seriously consider clear rear corners

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gill.
Tell me more about your Alpine sound system, it seems interesting.

Thanks Gill.
Tell me more about your Alpine sound system, it seems interesting.

· Registered
1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
313 Posts
To w140gill and s320.

Hey you guys ..you got s600 emblems huh...you probably gonna get alot more people staaring at your cars this way... not that people dont stare at an s-class period... i am jealous now, even though i got an s500.....lol.just kidding !!

On a serious note ..i considered the 19" but i was told not to cuz of rough ride and might damage the rim...both of you guys have the 18" monoblock...how does that ride( is it firm...and how is the continental in the winter in chicago s320, i am 2 hours north of you)...i know s320 you have the 245/18 and thats what tire rack recommended to me. But when i did the research on the grand edition..it has 255/18....is there a big difference between the two?

W140..can you get some pictures of your dvd systems and how you hooked it up...will it work if one put in the phone area?

Finally..any one of you tinted their cars yet..if some..what percentage is best?

Thanks in advance guys....and beautiful car s320..love the amg monoblock

ghost

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ghost,
Actually i dont have the s600 emblems on mine. I think i would keep it they way...

Hi Ghost,
Actually i dont have the s600 emblems on mine. I think i would keep it they way it is. Reason being that i love my inline 6 engine and the 600 actually has a different hood cover (the same one as V8s that has air vents near the vipers).

The continentals are so far great, i have only put 400 miles on em, and they will only be used till september. After that i will put on my stock rims as they have winter tires on them. With my AMGs i have noticed a significant performace in cornering.

No tints ever. The only cars i see have tints are rice boys driving their civics! Also, the orginal glass is dark enough for me. And, in chicago, you can only get rear and side windows tinted.

hope this helps!
///S320

· Registered
444 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just noticed after your last post that your bonnet (hood) is slighty differe...

Hi Guys,

I just noticed after your last post that your bonnet (hood) is slighty different to the european spec cars.

All 140's in UK have the air vent near the wipers you speak of. In addition we have fender blinkers and front headlamp wash wipers throughout the range

(with the exception of headlamp wipers on the S280 - which also isnt available in LWB. I guess this doesnt apply to you guys as the S280 was never released in the US)

I'll post detail of my audio setup during the week guys. ///S320 i'm so jealous of your shine ;-)

Ghost....I can honestly say that the difference between the standard 235x60x16 and the 255x45x18 is negligable. The rolling radius is the same and the ride quality almost as good. I've not felt any 'twitchyness' in the steering. Its important that all 4 wheels are re-tracked as soon as you change sizes.

You may also need to purchase a new bolt set as the original ones have a slighty too large head. I bought a set of 16 + 4 AMG locks from the dealer for £118 (about $150)

[:)]

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paint

Gill,
I can help you step by step to acheive the paint shine i have. It takes time, and some love. Iam sure you can dedicate both for your Merc!

It took me 4 weeks to get where it is right now. For about 6-8 months we have cold weather with snow (and off course iceing on the cake "salt") so she basically was suffering with bad shine all over.

///S320

· Registered
444 Posts
Please do //S320, I could do with some pointers to get my paint in shape. I usually, rins...

Please do //S320, I could do with some pointers to get my paint in shape. I usually, rinse , wash, rinse, dry then sometimes polish (usually every few months) with a silicone based resin polish called Autoglym. I also use this on the interior woodwork with stunning results!!

The roof and trunk lid of my car is in the worst shape. I can feel the grit in paint when I wash as I pass the sponge over the surface. Polishing reduces it temporarily.

I've been told that a clay bar might help. I've never used a clay bar in my life and wouldn't know what to do with one.

BTW, after looking at your pictures ,I actually prefer the clean front end look without the wash wipers, I am considering removing them. I'm sure that most will agree that they are far from functional.

They distract from the clean look just like the post 97 factory afterthought parking radar.

I'm also going to have to sort out the paint work on my wife's Audi A3...bet you've never seen one of these before....

[8)]

Attachments

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gill,
Thats a cute little German car! I had a ride this weekend in my co-workers A6. I li...

Gill,
Thats a cute little German car! I had a ride this weekend in my co-workers A6. I liked it.

Anyways, back to paint. When you are ready to do, let me know. You need atleast 2 to 4 hours depanding on the temp you are working on. Lets say, i highly prefer temps around 60 to 70 degrees. This weekend i was at work and i was working with a guy frm London and he told me that its mostly foggy there...

When its hot, the water dries quickly and then when you apply show car polish and gloss enhancer, it dries out quick too.

You need to buy Product # Z5 and Gloss Enhancer from
www.zainobros.com. They really work. Iam very very picky about the items i use on my car (i only fill my gasoline from Mobile with only 93 grade, as i know they dont mix their gas with other chemicals) So, i can safely say, Zaino works best. If you use it correctly.

I started using it this year and results are infront of you.

Apart from Zaino you need:
**Meguires Gold Class Car wash
**Any top of the line leather drying cloth
**Top quality sponge
**Mothers or Meguires wheel cleaner for clear coats
**Any tire cleaner of your choice (i like Meguires)
**A soft brush for cleaning brake dust (soft, so that your AMGs dont get scratched)
**For gloss enhancer, 100% pure cotton

When you are ready, let me know. Oh by the way, did anyone buy the new Led Zeppelin re-mastered cd?? boy, i cant get over it!! [:0]

///S320

· Registered
1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
313 Posts
meguires and wheels

Hey s320:

After doing some research and asking around...i was told zaino and meguires are the best for detailing. They recommended for me to use meguires gold class for detailing. I noticed you also mentioned zaino's wax enhancer...(z5)...would the gold class alone work good, or do you really need zaino'e enhancer?

Finally, one question back to the rims...is it alot more noticeable when you moved up form 16 stock to 18 amg..or is it negleciable?

thanks in advance

ghost

· Registered
2007 S550 Sport
928 Posts
Problem w/ people changing their 320 to 600.

People that take a 320 and try to make it look like a 600 only goes to prove that they dont really care about mercedes for the car it is, but how they can try and make themselves look rich and powerful in the eyes of others.

If you can only afford a 320, so what? It is a fantastic car and engineered the same way a 600 is. So you get a smaller engine..... big deal. Are we all turning into a civilization that feels if they dont show the world they have the best ( even when it is not the best ) we are nothing?

Brad

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Problem w/ people changing their 320 to 600.

People that take a 320 and try to make it look like a 600 only goes to prove that they dont really care about mercedes for the car it is, but how they can try and make themselves look rich and powerful in the eyes of others.

If you can only afford a 320, so what? It is a fantastic car and engineered the same way a 600 is. So you get a smaller engine..... big deal. Are we all turning into a civilization that feels if they dont show the world they have the best ( even when it is not the best ) we are nothing?

Brad
Hi Brad,
I agree with you. Actually i think that my 3.2 I6 engine just needs an autobhan to fly on. Its perfectly engineered to move a car of this size and weight efficiently.

The s600 grill in the front was not to make my car a 600. Its there just to make it look slightly different than the stock. Besides, i did not rebadge my car, so if anyone sees her, they know its an I6 engine!

///S320

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: meguires and wheels

Hey s320:

After doing some research and asking around...i was told zaino and meguires are the best for detailing. They recommended for me to use meguires gold class for detailing. I noticed you also mentioned zaino's wax enhancer...(z5)...would the gold class alone work good, or do you really need zaino'e enhancer?

Finally, one question back to the rims...is it alot more noticeable when you moved up form 16 stock to 18 amg..or is it negleciable?

thanks in advance

ghost
Its personal preference ghost. You decide what product you want. In my previous post the products i listed were my choice.

The wheels agian are your own choice. I dont think i would ask anyone any opinion about putting anything in or on my car. Just that, different people think differently and thats not bad.

Good luck!
///S320

· Registered
1995 S420
553 Posts
Re: Re: Problem w/ people changing their 320 to 600.

Brad
Hi Brad,
I agree with you. Actually i think that my 3.2 I6 engine just needs an autobhan to fly on. Its perfectly engineered to move a car of this size and weight efficiently.

The s600 grill in the front was not to make my car a 600. Its there just to make it look slightly different than the stock. Besides, i did not rebadge my car, so if anyone sees her, they know its an I6 engine!

///S320
///S320,
Don't worry about that other disparaging post. Your car does look great. A little personalisation does not depreciate the car, except maybe make it a bit unimportant to an authentic collector. It is the same as adding AMG wheels, or getting it repainted to a non-factory colour. You have our blessings :)

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Re: Re: Problem w/ people changing their 320 to 600.

///S320,
Don't worry about that other disparaging post. Your car does look great. A little personalisation does not depreciate the car, except maybe make it a bit unimportant to an authentic collector. It is the same as adding AMG wheels, or getting it repainted to a non-factory colour. You have our blessings :)
Thanks Chad!

[:p]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.