Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my bushing for the front wheel control arm that is rear of tie rods (furthest back & item #17 in attachment).

I have new bushings ordered and on the way, but am wondering if this can be done with wheel side (knuckle) still connected, and somehow use a home made press with large c-clamp to remove/install bushing.

Has anyone tried this before, or would it be easier to just take it all apart and take it to someone that has a press ???

Also, the new bushing kits are "UPDATED" from stock with some type of spring washer, does that go between bushing and bracket, or on outside of bracket before bolt head & nut? Also attached a picture of kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I need to replace my bushing for the front wheel control arm that is rear of tie rods (furthest back & item #17 in attachment).

I have new bushings ordered and on the way, but am wondering if this can be done with wheel side (knuckle) still connected, and somehow use a home made press with large c-clamp to remove/install bushing.

Has anyone tried this before, or would it be easier to just take it all apart and take it to someone that has a press ???

Also, the new bushing kits are "UPDATED" from stock with some type of spring washer, does that go between bushing and bracket, or on outside of bracket before bolt head & nut? Also attached a picture of kit.
Ou have to remove the control arm from the car and press these out otherwise you are going to be fighting the strut and axel all day.

The new style bushings are exactly like the old style except the washers that go on the end of the rubber are spring. They should fit between the bushing and the support ( I think ).
You will be able to tell as there will be a gap if you try to put them on the outside under the nut or the screw head.

Remember you have to do the left AND right side if you change to these bushings.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I will do both sides, but do not have a press! Even if I did have a press, would I not need some type of bushing tool that would fit inside the control arm to push the bushing in/out.

I am thinking about getting a piece of steel pipe that I can use to put on one end that I can use a large c-clamp to push bushing into, and a large socket to push with, to get it out of control arm, just don't know if I have enough force to do it (as I have never done it like that before).

Since the airmatic strut is also on this control arm, do I need to disengage power/control to strut before starting disassembly or does that not matter?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I will do both sides, but do not have a press! Even if I did have a press, would I not need some type of bushing tool that would fit inside the control arm to push the bushing in/out.

I am thinking about getting a piece of steel pipe that I can use to put on one end that I can use a large c-clamp to push bushing into, and a large socket to push with, to get it out of control arm, just don't know if I have enough force to do it (as I have never done it like that before).

Since the airmatic strut is also on this control arm, do I need to disengage power/control to strut before starting disassembly or does that not matter?
I honestly don;t think the bushings will be that hard to get out. Autozone will rent you a bushing tool for free.

As far as the strut goes, The strut will be extended all the way since the car is jacked up.And you are not removing any lines or anything so you should be okay there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts