Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2015 GLK-350
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All---new to this forum, but figured it might be helpful to seek out the knowledge of others.

I purchased a CPO 2015 GLK-350 in the late fall of 2018. Almost instantly following purchased, I noticed a smell in my garage--a faint smell of burning plastic/rubber. At first, I wasn't entirely sure where the smell was originating--I couldn't place it; I wasn't sure it was my vehicle and not the ancient garage itself. It wasn't until I noticed the same smell in an empty parking lot upon exiting the vehicle that I realized the smell was coming from the front end of the GLK. Sticking my nose to the hood sealed the deal--the smell was overwhelming.

I took it into the dealership in February of 2019---initially, techs could not replicate the smell. Eventually, one was able to and discovered an oil leak on the front of the engine. It was noted that the driver's side front cover was leaking oil---it was resealed. Despite this resolution, the smell persisted---after a call to the service department, I was told the smell may persist until the oil had burned off.

I continued to wait for the smell to "burn off"---by July of 2019, I gave up, and took the car in again--I switched from the dealership I purchased the GLK from to a service department closer to my home. This time, issue was noted to be the engine front timing cover leaking oil, as well as the cam magnets leaking oil. Both leaks were addressed and fixed.

Despite that fix, the smell continued to persist. I returned the car in November of 2019 to have the issue addressed, again. Yet another oil leak was discovered, this time from the front right cylinder head cover. Additionally, there as a coolant leak from the coolant line, resulting in coolant dripping onto the serpentine belt. The cylinder was resealed, and the coolant o-ring and serpentine belt were both replaced.

You may be shocked to know....but, the smell. It is still there. There's nothing quite as pleasant as burning rubber when you step outside of your $30,000 vehicle. Just really sends the message that you've made a solid decision in purchasing the car.

So...back to the shop it went yesterday--were now in February of 2020. Supposedly, the issue now is that there are or were rodents in the intake manifold---and they had chewed threw the seals, resulting in---you guessed it--another oil leak. This repair, however, will not be covered under warranty--understandably so, assuming there are or were indeed rodents (of this, I have no proof).

For a solid year, this vehicle has smelled of burning plastic/rubber. I have allotted a considerable amount of time following each "repair" to allow residual oil to burn off of whatever parts it may have leaked upon. Each time I have returned, there has have a new problem--a new leak---a new cause. But never a complete solution and eradication of this smell.

Can anyone think of something that is being over looked? I'll likely move forward with the current needed repairs, and then--if the smell continues, which I believe it will given the track record--I will be returning to the car market, tail between legs, utterly disappointed that this experience with Mercedes has been worse than past experiences with lesser vehicles.

W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
The fact that is never goes away tell me that something is continuing to leak and drip onto a hot surface, as otherwise it would have long burnt off by now.

If you can't say for sure that it smells like burning oil, or rubber, or coolant, you will have to be Toucan Sam and "follow your nose". Something can only burn/smoke it it touches something hot so that narrows your search down to the really hot surfaces. Exhaust manifold/pipes, engine block, etc. Start up the car cold some Saturday morning and observe while it's warming up. Look for light smoke (oil on a hot surface) or anything that could be touching hot parts.

W163 Crash Test Driver
You should be injecting a dye to the oil and tracen it from there
Assuming it's engine oil that is leaking/burning, yes. Could also be power steering, coolant or transmission fluid.

Registered
2002 Mercedes Benz C320 Wagon
The burning smell is coming from the rear passenger side of the engine. Right behind the last coil pack on the passenger side, there are 4 torx screws. Remove them and the cover they hold down. you鈥檒l see a gasket that should be there. If it is or If it isn鈥檛, clean the area real well and apply Permatex 90 min gasket maker. Follow the instructions on the package and put the cover back on and the 4 torx screws also.
You won鈥檛 have any oil smell again.

I know because that鈥檚 where my oil smell was coming from and I have never ever ever smelled it again.

W163 Crash Test Driver
What Loya is referring to is the oil separator or in Mercedes speak, the "centrifuge". The rubber seal is not available as a separate part, but comes with the cover. If yours is leaking, rather than goop everything up with gasket maker, I would just get a new cover. They go for around $45.

Registered
You that right there Plana? That kind of BS, look down your nose, talk is the reason why the world is so F-Ed up. Because you, yes you, are too busy judging and trying to be better than the next person, you forget that the mission. The mission to help each other. So F-ing what if I used gasket maker? How the F do you know if it鈥檚 鈥済ooped up鈥? Because it sure IS NOT. Not everyone has endless pockets like others and have to do what we have to do. Get off that high horse, or pull that horse out of your ass and get back to the reason why we are here....for advice and help from others who share our love for Mercedes Benz.

AND REF,
You could do whatever it is that you need to do, whether it is to buy a part for $50 or use gasket maker for $6. The oil smell will no longer be there once you address the CENTERFUGE.

W163 Crash Test Driver
You that right there Plana? That kind of BS, look down your nose, talk is the reason why the world is so F-Ed up. Because you, yes you, are too busy judging and trying to be better than the next person, you forget that the mission. The mission to help each other. So F-ing what if I used gasket maker? How the F do you know if it鈥檚 鈥済ooped up鈥? Because it sure IS NOT. Not everyone has endless pockets like others and have to do what we have to do. Get off that high horse, or pull that horse out of your ass and get back to the reason why we are here....for advice and help from others who share our love for Mercedes Benz.

AND REF,
You could do whatever it is that you need to do, whether it is to buy a part for $50 or use gasket maker for $6. The oil smell will no longer be there once you address the CENTERFUGE.
Wow, that was a very disproportionate response to a silly comment about gasket maker. Nothing I wrote had anything to do with you or your abilities, so you can relax now. I didn鈥檛 attack you.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
I know because that鈥檚 where my oil smell was coming from and I have never ever ever smelled it again.
So, OP has never ever looked at his post again.

You on the other hand have "found" a leak for him and applied band aid. Let's see how long it lasts.

2020-03-16_222617.png

Registered
A band aid? That鈥檚 hilarious. Hilarious for you to think that your way is the only way. It鈥檚 been 8 months and still holding. I have no doubt in my abilities or in my advice. You on the other hand should at least give some solution to the problem at hand instead of shoving your foot in your mouth. Who does your work? Where鈥檚 your shop? How many have you owned? Really it doesn鈥檛 matter because you,just like Plana, don鈥檛 bother me with your 鈥淚 know everything鈥 bs. But obviously I鈥檓 doing something right if I bother you. KMA and please refrain from derogatory comments when I post. It鈥檚 just childish. Help the person who needs it, not your ego.

Plana,
So you can鈥檛 be serious with your response, right? You鈥檙e trying to pull the old 鈥渓et me insult you but when you say something back I鈥檒l deny insulting you鈥 act???

these responses from two educated adult men are laughable and reminiscent of immature high school football players when the new kid comes to school. Guess once a bully always a bully. Dad was right people don鈥檛 ever change.

W163 Crash Test Driver
A band aid? That鈥檚 hilarious. Hilarious for you to think that your way is the only way. It鈥檚 been 8 months and still holding. I have no doubt in my abilities or in my advice. You on the other hand should at least give some solution to the problem at hand instead of shoving your foot in your mouth. Who does your work? Where鈥檚 your shop? How many have you owned? Really it doesn鈥檛 matter because you,just like Plana, don鈥檛 bother me with your 鈥淚 know everything鈥 bs. But obviously I鈥檓 doing something right if I bother you. KMA and please refrain from derogatory comments when I post. It鈥檚 just childish. Help the person who needs it, not your ego.

Plana,
So you can鈥檛 be serious with your response, right? You鈥檙e trying to pull the old 鈥渓et me insult you but when you say something back I鈥檒l deny insulting you鈥 act???

these responses from two educated adult men are laughable and reminiscent of immature high school football players when the new kid comes to school. Guess once a bully always a bully. Dad was right people don鈥檛 ever change.
The only ego wounded here is yours. You are having a full blown defensive tantrum over gasket maker.

I will say it again. I wasn't attacking or insulting you or your abilities. You can choose to believe me or not, but that's on you.

Registered
So you鈥檙e so arrogant to not see that by quoting me and then calling my process 鈥済ooping it up鈥 NOT insulting. Then to call my name 鈥淟oya鈥? Not even the respect to put the whole thing. AND THEN. To blame me for getting upset because You insulted me? Well sir, it is. It鈥檚 insulting to say the least. Not even an apology because you did that, but you apologized for me when I wasn鈥檛 due to apologize. Maybe a little less 鈥淢ercedes talk鈥 and some etiquette or manners lessons should be in your future.
Every one has a different process as to how they do something but it鈥檚 insulting to belittle them when you voice your way while dumbing down theirs.

So noSir, it鈥檚 not on me. Again, if you鈥檙e not actually helping the topic, please no more. No more. Obviously you鈥檒l never get it.

W163 Crash Test Driver
Fine, I am truly sorry if my posts have offended you in any way. Please accept my sincere apology for this misunderstanding.

Now, can we get back to our mutual love of Mercedes?

Registered
Thank you and I appreciate that. I鈥檒l never bring this up again.

Im down to learn more . So please continue advising us and pointing us in the right direction. I know I am grateful for your willingness to share your knowledge here in this forum. Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts