Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1987 300D turbo 237.000, 1994 S420 80.000K
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1994 S350 turbodiesel this is the first time this happened I start the car and blue smoke came out of the tail pipe the driver behind me on a convertible was beaching and hollering for a good reason and I assumed because it must a smell like burning oil. then drove several blocks and the smoke continuous to pore out the tail pipe I got in to the freeway for the next 35 miles no smoke at all run perfectly, after parking home checked under the hood I disconnected the turbo intake hose and there is some oil in front of the impeller, check the coolant reservoir and their is oil floating on top in edition there is oil evidence oozing out from manifold gasket at the #1 cylinder head connection, and the last thing I check was oil consumption and yes it burnt one quart 35 miles. First I thought the turbo oil gasket and bearing maybe gone even though I rebuild it but oil in the coolant? Any ideas as to what I am facing. Thanks :confused::surrender:

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket failure to me... but I'm no expert, especially when it comes to diesel engines.

If you can DIY i can't imagine it'd be too costly of a job, but it sounds like the top of the motor is in need of a rebuild. Get'er done and put more miles on it!

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
I have to agree! Oil in the coolant a good sign of blown head gasket !! I have a deezel truck and my other hangout is on there forum. When this prob shows up generally head gasket!

Smokie

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
I had an '84 Chevy Celebrity Wagon 4.3L V6 Diesel that eventually had exhaust soot showing up in the coolant reservoir, but not oil.

But anytime you have exhaust soot, oil or coolant where only one of those three should be, you have a head gasket with some bad spots, because those three share some common areas, and the gaskets try to keep them separated. "...oil evidence oozing out from manifold gasket..." - yep, bad gasket.

After I removed the heads, I saw both of our Chevy's head gaskets had deteriorated material between a cylinder and a coolant channel. This happened around 125K miles. Apparently during the exhaust stroke some of the exhaust went into the water channel and then into the reservoir. I replaced the gaskets, took the heads to a shop to check for being flat, and the problem went away. That engine had the cam inside, not overhead like all the 140 engines, so it was a lot easier and quicker to repair.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
When we bought our '97 S320 2 years ago, I knew it had an oil leak between the head and block towards the right back, and dripped sometimes on the exhaust, and I knew about the 6-cylinders having the gasket problem due to aluminum head and iron block expanding/cooling at different rates, which eventually rubs away at the gasket the wrong way.

Anyway, I had that fixed - new gasket and head rebuilt, but forgot about some oil being in the reservoir tank also, like yours. Not being a diesel, I saw only brown in with the green/yellow coolant. After the fix, the tank still had some oil in it, so I had the repair place clean out the tank and flush the radiator which should have been part of the original job, and they did it for no add'l cost. Finally, the tank looked normal.

Make sure whoever fixes the gasket problem cleans the tank and flushes the radiator too.

I cleaned off the oil residue that had "cooked" onto the exhaust pipe which trailed back just a little, with WD-40, because that oil never burned off, and you could smell it. Diesel oil might be a little harder to clean in the tank and radiator - I still have an MB diesel, owned another one, and that Chevy.

For some reason I like the uniqueness of diesels, and fuel mileage, and general longevity and low maintenance, but I've made so many oil messes I think this 300D is my last diesel...also, the fuel cost hasn't been an advantage for years now.

·
Premium Member
1987 300D turbo 237.000, 1994 S420 80.000K
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I decide to get reed of it no revers and now head gasket, well maybe some one ells want to play with it.........any buyers here? :surrender: :surrender:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts