Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Burlwood or Walnut? I see this wood referred to as both, depending upon the thread or search. I guess it's officially Burlwood.

Igor restored the heck out of this unit. It's amazing how good the wood looks and how well the unit now slides. I had purchased a well worn set from someone here and knew it would need help. Igor is as good as everyone says.

Now, do I keep it? Or sell it and put the money towards some needed mechanical issues?

UPDATE/EDIT: Looks like it actually fits perfectly. I was just not giving it the shove it needed (because I was being too damned timid!). Those rear hooks do smoosh pieces of the vinyl at the rear of the tray, but since no one will see it, it's fine.

If I keep it in place I have to consider restoring the rest of the wood soon. I'm not sure which look I prefer at the moment. No rush! :)

Pardon the dust smudges on the last picture.

Part number for the top black cover is 126 680 74 89 KZ. I am not sure of the other part numbers.

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,014 Posts
Burl walnut is the same thing when it comes to Mercedes Wood , they did not offer regular walnut , only a veneer From the Burl portion of the walnut tree . That’s the Twisted part that makes those beautiful grain shapes .

Mercedes used either zebrano wood in its lower tier models or burl walnut in the higher tier models

I would just cut a few holes to fit the console

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,212 Posts
The restoration of this burled walnut roll-top storage bin is very well done.

Mercedes-Benz introduced these lockable storage bins when they started putting passenger airbags in the cars and eliminated the regular lockable glove box.

I guess they figured owners needed a lockable storage compartment.

I like them a lot, but they are kind of small and not so convenient for things like wallets and phones that always go with you in- and out- of the car. The open tray may be more useful.

YMMW.

Reactions: isthenew

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wood looks so superior to what I have in my car it's scary. Makes me want to send it all in to Igor. ;)

What's funny is how used to the open tray I have become. That is one reason why I am considering the option of selling it. The older Gen I look has grown on me and now I really like it.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,449 Posts
I almost bought one of these to restore and put in my car. And I probably will once I get the AC resolved. Mostly because the carpet in my bin is awful. And I got used to having one in my r129’s.

I was surprised and happy to learn about those rear hooks. So I looked at how they’d mount in my gen II. It looks like once I remove the carpet, those just slide under the edge of the trim. There aren’t any grooves of holes or anything.

And, I’m a bit bummed about the walnut being higher end. I think it’s the rarer of the two woods in the R129 world. So I always assumed it was more exclusive.

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,014 Posts
In the r129 there were several limited wood options including Chestnut and birds eye maple stained different colors

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was surprised and happy to learn about those rear hooks. So I looked at how they’d mount in my gen II. It looks like once I remove the carpet, those just slide under the edge of the trim. There aren’t any grooves of holes or anything.
If you can snap a pic I'd like to see as I am curious how different it looks vs my GEN I setup.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: Looks like it actually fits perfectly. I was just not giving it the shove it needed (because I was being too damned timid!). It need a very firm press down to the rear, as scary as it may seem. I just held my breath and pushed.

Those rear hooks do smoosh pieces of the vinyl at the rear of the tray, but since no one will see it, it's fine.

If I keep it in place I have to consider restoring the rest of the wood soon. The console box wood makes the rest look horrendous.

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,014 Posts
Please let us know how much Igor charged to Redo the box and if you get it , the rest of the wood

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The box was 165. I haven't asked him about a full wood restore as of yet.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A funny update for you folks. I had the console in the car and was really starting to like it. It's a terrific coffee holder. Well, last night I decided I would remove it from eBay, but that it could wait until morning. Right?

Wrong! This morning I got up and found it had sold. Whoops. Oh well. ;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, but the $200 box needs restoration due to the cracks and chips. Tack on another $165 to Igor, plus $20 to ship it to him.

Last year I saw one sell for 600 clams.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts