Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Burlwood armrest this past weekend and when I went to open my compartment today the stupid thing fell off. I got the armrest from Jerry and it came with two adhesive strips down each side. I took the leather/plastic cover off and put the burlwood over the black plastic and it does not stick as I believe the adhesive is not makeing contact with the black cover. Was I just suppose to put the cover over the original armrest? Baffled, as it didn't sit right just puttin it over the stock one... any help would be appreciated... cheers guys

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
You can buy double sided tape (like whats on the bottom of the armrest now) at a hardware store like Home Depot or something. Just put it all over the bottom of your new armrest until it makes contact and sticks.

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what I was thinking pize but thought maybe it just went over the factory one... cheers mate

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
I guess I'm missing the picture here but all I did was

take the burl arm rest cover, remove the red plastic strips covering the double sided 3M tape {there were four strips total}, I pressed the cover over the existing cushion [did not remove a thing] and held firm pressure for several seconds. It stuck and has stuck ever since. If it ever falls off I will just get more double sided tape and re-press in place. it won't fall off though. I just tried to remove it with all my might and it is not budging. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lochs... how do U get it to fit right over the factory one?... the factory still tends to stick out at the bottom and on the back... hmmm maybe I'll try that again... but I did buy some double sided tape so we'll see...

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
If you can post some pictures I would like to see what it looks like was thinking of doing this myself? Does it match the factory burlwood?

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
I'll take a picture later today!

pize98 - 4/14/2005 12:41 AM

If you can post some pictures I would like to see what it looks like was thinking of doing this myself? Does it match the factory burlwood?
It looks very nice and it does match very well!

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
I see you also have a '99 ML430

GOAT - 4/14/2005 11:38 PM

Lochs... how do U get it to fit right over the factory one?... the factory still tends to stick out at the bottom and on the back... hmmm maybe I'll try that again... but I did buy some double sided tape so we'll see...
I wonder if the cover you got is not formed correctly. I'll take some pics and post them later today of mine.

Maybe the double sided tape is too thick?

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Pictures

The arm rest burlwood matches my burlwood steering wheel and burl 3-vent trim. They are all darker then the oem "burlwood" plastic pieces that reside on the dash and door handles--but the contrast isn't that drastic to bother me.

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice Lochs... gonna go put my old cover on and try to press down hard and see what happens... btw where did U get the burl rear window switchplate cover?... I want one too [:D]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts