Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a discussion in Vintage forum I was wondering if there was an easy place to connect a hand starter switch on a 107 rather than directly to the hard-to-get-at solenoid/starter terminals.

The car we were talking about was a 75 107, but I would be interested too for my 72.

I saved the picture below, but don't know what car it is. My car does have a terminal strip like the one shown below battery. But it is cracked so I have it wrapped in insulation tape. I would like to get a replacement but seem to recall having trouble finding the number.

·
Premium Member
2015 ML250 Bluetec and 1987 560SL
3,615 Posts
There's a terminal strip in that same spot on the 380SL, but it looks different. Even so, I suspect that's where you'll do it.

Be sure to find out what to disconnect so that you don't actually start the engine, if that's your goal..

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
In a discussion in Vintage forum I was wondering if there was an easy place to connect a hand starter switch on a 107 rather than directly to the hard-to-get-at solenoid/starter terminals.

The car we were talking about was a 75 107, but I would be interested too for my 72.

I saved the picture below, but don't know what car it is. My car does have a terminal strip like the one shown below battery. But it is cracked so I have it wrapped in insulation tape. I would like to get a replacement but seem to recall having trouble finding the number.

It is listed in the FSM, but damned if I can remember where and I'm too sorry to go look... I do recall it is a terminal strip referenced... Look under the valve adjustment section, perhaps.

edit: ok, so I looked it up. Section 05-210... Also section 01-010 on compression check. you'll need to look in the electrical troubleshooting guide for the location of terminal strip, referenced in the valve adjusting guide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is listed in the FSM, but damned if I can remember where and I'm too sorry to go look... I do recall it is a terminal strip referenced... Look under the valve adjustment section, perhaps.

edit: ok, so I looked it up. Section 05-210... Also section 01-010 on compression check. you'll need to look in the electrical troubleshooting guide for the location of terminal strip, referenced in the valve adjusting guide.
Thanks for looking that up. I knew I had seen it somewhere.

BTW, On my 72 350SL, the terminal strip has just three connections. Have to check those wire colors...

Reactions: Fonzi

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Just rechecked the engine manual. Above the pictures showing how to bump engine, it says for CIS injection and has pics for 116 and 107. But no mention of EFI 71-75 that I have found.

In an earlier thread when member Norman was having a no-start problem, Lfedje said "The 3 wires to the block come from the starter (Red & Violet, Red, Violet)" for his 73. So would it be safe to assume that the same starter bump with hand switch could be used on an EFI 72-75??

Reactions: Fonzi
1 - 5 of 5 Posts