Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the bumpers and lower side trim are supposed to be a matte finish or polished clear coat?

I re-painted my rear bumper with dupli-color (came out quite good I must say) and am debating whether to sand and polish the clear or leave it as a semi-matte finish.

To compare, I had to do a quickie hood repair until it warms up enough to properly paint it. I painted it with a dupli-color rattle can, and dupli-color clear coat. I then wet sanded, and polished with a swirl remover, then final polish. The clear coat came out like glass (I was quite surprised).

Anyways, was wondering if I should do that to the rear bumper or leave it.

I have to say the rear bumper came out phenomenal using a rattle can dupli-color from Auto-zone, and I'm debating whether I even need to strip and re-paint it with the new color matched paint that just arrived.

I bought some paint from a site listed here, just needs to warm up to see if it will work.

Anyway, after this rambling, wondering if when the car was new if it was a polished finish for the lower sides and rear/front bumpers.

TIA.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I can get you a pic of my 124 with gloss black bumpers if you want to see what it looks like. Would that help?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,258 Posts
I think it's not so much a question of supposed to, but more of personal preference.
IMO, matte looks great when new, but is harder to keep clean.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I remember correctly, anthracite grey and the light silver/grey matte finish on the lower panels.

I used a metallic grey dupli-color, will get the right paint code tomorrow, but it turned out quite good. The hood, you can't tell from an angle, or when you're in a garage, that it was repainted. But you can definately tell in direct sunlight--but for a rattle can job, its pretty amazing.

I received the proper paint a couple days ago, just need some good weather to do the job properly.

I'm having a failed/ dead clearcoat problem--how this all started.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Don't do a matte finish, it'll look nasty when dirty and will be hard to clean, you'll have trouble trying to use a polish/wax on it as well
Do either a gloss or a satin/semi-gloss finish

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
factory finish is polished laquer with a clear coat. Just had my front and rear bumpers resprayed at the dealership body shop (Auotbahn Motors Redwood City, CA) I asked for factory original finish. They did a beautiful job. $800+ per bumper..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts