Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1991 Mercedes 190E 2.3. The front bumper has a gaping hole off to the passenger side (left-side in photo). I used black weather proof tape to hide the hole but isnt pretty. I am considering a bumper repair kit but aren't sure of the quality of that approach.

Anyone know where i can purchase a replacement front bumper which can be shipped to Canada?

Thanks

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,494 Posts
Actually if you blow up the picture you'll see he taped up the impact strip. Go to the junkyard and get another one. Either that or go to the local dealer and see how much they cost.

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sorry. I wish i had a better photo but the taped region is best viewed in the full sized photo, not the thumbnail. I should have pointed an arrow to it but the region in question is really off to the far left on the bumper NOT the rectangular tow hook (?) hole.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I see it now.

Pull a good used bumper from the yard. You'll need some flat blade screw drivers and long nose pliers to pry off the plastic bumper impact strip. If the foam is bad on yours, get the one from the surplus unit.

Or get a new one.

Bumper comes off with 2 17mm bolts per side on chassis frame, and 2 10mm bolts at the rearmost portion of the bumpers closest to the front wheels.

Be sure to remove the outside air temp sensor so you don't snag it when taking the heavy front bumper off.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
I see it now.

Pull a good used bumper from the yard. You'll need some flat blade screw drivers and long nose pliers to pry off the plastic bumper impact strip. If the foam is bad on yours, get the one from the surplus unit.

Or get a new one.

Bumper comes off with 2 17mm bolts per side on chassis frame, and 2 10mm bolts at the rearmost portion of the bumpers closest to the front wheels.

Be sure to remove the outside air temp sensor so you don't snag it when taking the heavy front bumper off.
yeah what he said....
:thumbsup:

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
looks like you only need an impact strip

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks like you only need an impact strip
Jippi! Can you tell me more about this "impact strip"? I've been looking around and my impression it is bumper like and it fits overtop an existing bumper. Sounds Franksteinish.

Thanks for the education. Are there any better pics of it in action?

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
impact strip is just the black piece.

stealing this from rik.

normally black but rik color matched it to the car. impact strip alone.

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
impact strip is just the black piece.
So to be clear here are photos of my bumper. You can see the black tape (which covers the gaping hole in the black bumper)

The issue for me is the black bumper (a hole off to the passenger side at about 2" x 3" wide) not the underlying green piece.

Is the black piece in my photo called "impact strip"?

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to give u an idea, the impact strip cost $265 to replace direct from MB. Sadly no junkyard in my area has it so I'm definitely going to check around online.

Anyone have success with bumper repair kits?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Just to give u an idea, the impact strip cost $265 to replace direct from MB. Sadly no junkyard in my area has it so I'm definitely going to check around online.

Anyone have success with bumper repair kits?
Maybe you're pertaining to the whole bumper (skirt included). The impact strip is less than that.

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe you're pertaining to the whole bumper (skirt included). The impact strip is less than that.
Here's the email direct from MB. I sent them the above photos.

Good morning,

The black outer cover in your photo is called a rail $265.60 plus tax. The upper part is part of the bumper assembly $1347.00

Kevin

Nasty prices for pieces of plastic.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Took off my bumper for the first time this weekend and found a block heater. This car never ceases to amaze me..

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.3 Limited #566/700
1,740 Posts
Here's the email direct from MB. I sent them the above photos.

Good morning,

The black outer cover in your photo is called a rail $265.60 plus tax. The upper part is part of the bumper assembly $1347.00

Kevin

Nasty prices for pieces of plastic.
Sounds about right. When an SUV backed into me, only my impact strip was damaged but the insurance company decided to give me a whole new front bumper. Total cost? 1.6k.
I'm suprised i didn't get a salvage title since that's like half the cost of the car lmao.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts