Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove my front bumper and replace the chrome on my 1989 560SEL. Has anyone done this in here? Is bumper removal difficult?

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
I recall a recent post where this question was asked and from what I can remember the front bumper comes off in about 10 minutes and the rear takes about 20 ... or is it vice versa? Not a big deal either way.

I would do a search.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,279 Posts

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,129 Posts
iv just completed this task on a 560 sec us. bumper! ya the bumper comes off just like they say. if there is no corosion or rust. but i found it to be a very trying task dismantaling the bumper itself. if there is rust ect on these bolt/ screws it will be even more dificult. the guid rails have to be taken off also to get at the 2 bolts that hold the flang pieces. a rubber malet is useful also. & do it on a table that you can get to all 4 sides. the butterfly nuts clips dont hold either so you have to pull on them as you unscrew.when i put mine together ill be gluing those pesky [email protected]#ing butterfly nuts in there slots on the crome. let us know how it turned out. good luck. P.S. now that your this far you should paint

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
^^^ to make life easier, I would use a generous dose of PB Blaster the night before the project. That should make rusty bolts MUCH easier to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,129 Posts
^^^ to make life easier, I would use a generous dose of PB Blaster the night before the project. That should make rusty bolts MUCH easier to deal with.
mine wernt rusted at all, but spraying them definatly cant hurt. but its a job.& i havent tried putting it together yet.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
PB Blaster is a trade name for a spray on Liquid Wrench type rust dissolver. It works pretty well but nothing works better than AeroKroil by Kano Labs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts