Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent a few hours today assembling the various euro bumper parts I have, as well as disassembling some spare bumpers I have just to see how it all goes together, since its been several months since I took my bumpers apart to get painted and toss out the old rusty chrome pieces. I've searched the archives and searched the service CDs and can't figure out quite how to get the chrome together with the 2 small "caps". These are the pieces that cover where the long pieces and corner pieces attach. I'm trying to figure out if you attach the long and corner pieces first and screw them to the bumper, and then somehow clip or slide the caps on, or if you slide them on first, then attach, then slide over? I obviously want to do this without scratching anything, and taking apart the old bumpers didn't really clue me in to how to do it right....

Anyone done this before?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've spent a few hours today assembling the various euro bumper parts I have, as well as disassembling some spare bumpers I have just to see how it all goes together, since its been several months since I took my bumpers apart to get painted and toss out the old rusty chrome pieces. I've searched the archives and searched the service CDs and can't figure out quite how to get the chrome together with the 2 small "caps". These are the pieces that cover where the long pieces and corner pieces attach. I'm trying to figure out if you attach the long and corner pieces first and screw them to the bumper, and then somehow clip or slide the caps on, or if you slide them on first, then attach, then slide over? I obviously want to do this without scratching anything, and taking apart the old bumpers didn't really clue me in to how to do it right....

Anyone done this before?
Here's a diagram for anyone that can help Mark with his question:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Richard. I stared at that picture for a while on the EPC. Problem is, the EPC I have is for US models, and these are euro bumpers. The US front bumper I took apart was different than the euro I'm putting together, and not just in size of brackets and chrome. The attachment points are even different. The US chrome has holes along the way where the nuts with wings go into, but the euro has 4 slots in the middle that look like they are meant for a different type of nut/connector/etc. Hopefully the rear bumper is easier to go together than the front, although....I still have the question about these small "cover pieces" - #6 in the above diagram.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks Richard. I stared at that picture for a while on the EPC. Problem is, the EPC I have is for US models, and these are euro bumpers. The US front bumper I took apart was different than the euro I'm putting together, and not just in size of brackets and chrome. The attachment points are even different. The US chrome has holes along the way where the nuts with wings go into, but the euro has 4 slots in the middle that look like they are meant for a different type of nut/connector/etc. Hopefully the rear bumper is easier to go together than the front, although....I still have the question about these small "cover pieces" - #6 in the above diagram.
Hey markusmeyer;

I've never had mine apart, so I knew I couldn't help you, but was hoping that someone could start with the (U.S. bumper) diagram and help you with your euro bumpers.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
It's been a while since I swapped the US bumpers for a set of Series 1 Euro bumpers, but I don't recall any of the issues you raise.

It helped that I had a couple of Euro sets to play around with. :rolleyes:

Yours are Series 2 Euros, right?

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
If you scrounge up a euro VIN and stick that in to EPC it will pull up those drawings and they will then be correct.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been a while since I swapped the US bumpers for a set of Series 1 Euro bumpers, but I don't recall any of the issues you raise.

It helped that I had a couple of Euro sets to play around with. :rolleyes:

Yours are Series 2 Euros, right?
Yup, series 2 they are. And I have the SEC front bumper with the SEL chrome...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so I figured the chrome reassembly out. Couldn't tell by looking at existing chrome, even after disassembling two existing bumpers. But once I had the new parts out, it made sense. So far I did only the rear bumper, but here is what you do in case anyone has to do this in the future:

1) assemble the 3 main pieces - the main long strip and the two sides bolt together
2) slide the clips over the "join" sections where you just bolted them together
3) press the tabs on the clips down and under to hold the clips on place
4) attach the chrome to the bumper bar and plastic cover with the funky wing nuts and bolts...quite a few of them, about 20 or so...

A few pics attached to show the sequence and final product.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually bought everything from someone here on BW last year who sourced the bumpers from the UK I believe (used). Chrome came totally rusted/rotted, so he sourced brand new chrome (front and rear) from Germany, then lost interest in the project and I bought it all from him, disassembled the old bumpers, had the plastic painted body color, and am now reassembling/attaching them to the car finally. I believe he mentioned having paid $1500-2000 just for the chrome pieces.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I actually bought everything from someone here on BW last year who sourced the bumpers from the UK I believe (used). Chrome came totally rusted/rotted, so he sourced brand new chrome (front and rear) from Germany, then lost interest in the project and I bought it all from him, disassembled the old bumpers, had the plastic painted body color, and am now reassembling/attaching them to the car finally. I believe he mentioned having paid $1500-2000 just for the chrome pieces.
:eek: Good one you for scoring those!!!

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
I have to replace my US rear bumper with a Euro one on the Bluebird. Of course painted to match. One of the major Cosmetic jobs for this year. I'll wait until farther into Spring to do that because these roads are too awful to do it now and have it screwed up with the winter driving ...even here in So CA.

·
Registered
926 Posts
This question is for a US front bumper. The captive nuts do not stay in place on the chrome piece. The go in fine, but they move around and come out easily until the screws are through them.

I do not see a way to get the chrome, the energy absorbtion piece and the plastic painted parts together in such a way that the nuts do not come out of the chrome part before I can get the screws in them. I am seriously thinking about duct taping them in place so I can get everything together.

Am I doing something wrong or is that just standard?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Duct tape (the univeral answer) does not appear to work unless I use large pieces. I am goingo to try clear silicone. That should be ok.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I remember using small pieces of painters tape to hold them in place until the bolts were started. It won't leave any residue either where as duct tape may/ will.

Regards,

·
Registered
926 Posts
I remember using small pieces of painters tape to hold them in place until the bolts were started. It won't leave any residue either where as duct tape may/ will.

Regards,
Good to know I was not the only one. The silicone appears to be holding the nuts. I have not tried re-assembly yet. It is drying. If that does not work I will go with painters tape. Thanks

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well seems like we are all on the quest to renew our bumpers!

I found the US Rear bumper very easy to disassemble and reassemble. It was pretty much straight forward.

Markus, yes you are right it is best to assemble all the chrome and then introduce it to the bumper and plastic valance.

I am currently about to re assemble my front bumper. Waiting on parts! I was disassembling the current bumper and taking notes for reassembly. I was wondering what about using epoxy glue on the "lock" to hold those buggers in?

Also you guys know anyone that can re-chrome these bad boys? These pieces seem to add up to $500+. I was thinking of taking my rear chrome stuff off and might as well install new or refinished pieces.

Rick

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I had a wheel straighten at a plating shop that does a lot of show work. I picked up the wheel and casually asked how much it would be to replate the chrome on my bumper and grill surround. $800 for the grill and it was over @$1200 for the bumper! I'll check someplace that doesn't do show work but "blacking" out the bumpres is looking pretty good right now :) Recent pics of the AMG sedan in Japan looked pretty good with just the lower bright work done in body color.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also you guys know anyone that can re-chrome these bad boys? These pieces seem to add up to $500+. I was thinking of taking my rear chrome stuff off and might as well install new or refinished pieces.

Rick
Well, I have some extra US chrome for the rear bumper in very good condition if you are interested. Came off a wreck I have where the bottom plastic piece was broken, but chrome not affected. I took it apart in my attempt to "learn" how to put them together, until I realized the US and euro bumpers are totally different. PM me if interested...

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
I'll have a great US rear Gen I Coupe Bumper and Fascia for sale shortly. Fascia is painted Lapis Blue. Thank The Good Lord for good Euro chrome bumper parts. I'm having them polished as I write this. and will have the bottom Euro Fascia media blasted and shot ASAP.......While I can remember how the parts go back together. LOL!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts