Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'04 C230K SS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a bunch of CLEAR bumper lights, but I want smoked ones. Does anyone know where I could find those?

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
no i dont - ive been looking too as my car is black...but what i can tell you - and what i am doing is tinting them myself....you can get hollywood tints, or go to your local paint jobber and ask for tints...they blend right into the clear coat...

spray one light coat of clear
spray your tint coat mix until happy with build up
clear again to seal

i am toying with the idea of tinting the inner housing to let the high gloss plastic outer finish be the finish...but waiting for the lenses to show up...then i will decide

just make sure you get automotive grade tint, people use testors, and hobby tints - thats a joke - they are just that, hobby tints...ive sprayed so many headlamps, tailamps and corners over the years and never had a problem....because its an automotive finish - of course you have to prep for it...

ppg and dupont make tints
jake

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
"if you guys find one" - your asking about tinted ones?

i bought mine on ebay after looking around...not sure of quality - also the owners manual says you change the bulb by removing the lens from the front side, so i am wondering if this can be a pop and play (take off the oem lens, and replace with the aftermarket one, or if they (aftermarket) had to redesign it enough as to not be a plug and play - and if the whole asselmby needs to be removed from the back side....

anyone help with that idea?
thanks
jake

·
Registered
'04 C230K SS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HOtGQ, I found them on eBay...only on there =/ ... But yea, I was going to get the clear ones, then get them tinted if I couldn't find the already smoked ones. haha, I finally got my car back today...soOOO happy! so much more fun messin wit people in this car than the ML..lol

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
SOCALBENZ - right...but can you install the aftermarket lens on the oem bumper and housing...or do you have to install the aftermarket housing to the oem bumper? - i have not received my lamps yet - but it looks like i bought a whole housing unit with lens...seems to me if i were the one to manufacture and market these... "IF" the lenses just snap in - i would have only tooled up to maufacture the lens....

thanks for any help
jake

·
Registered
05 C230 SSK
89 Posts
Yes- I ordered clear lenses off of ebay and poped out the orange ones and poped on the clear. I have to admit the fit is not "quite as good" as the OEM ones but my experience has been pretty good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts