Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the local dealer today saw a gl450 arriving. this new one had a black rubber rear bumper guard on top middle of the rear bumper ( to protect from scratches when unloading/loading) I've never seen this before! anyone else seen this? Is it available from parts dept?

I also saw a picture on the web of a gl with a cover over the spare with compartment for storage etc.(like on the c class etc.) is this available?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
We all know that a Steel plate is available to protect the mid-top of bumper. Never heard of a plastic. Do you have a picture ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry didnt have camera with me, but it was black rubber no option listed on window sticker. ?????
 

·
Registered
Capri Blue GL 450,Ash leather, Off Road Package
Joined
·
57 Posts
masmms said:
north america

Ok....well there goes that theory......there was some talke earlier that the GL's for Europe had the bumper plate option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I got 320cdi delivered last week . I does come with a plastic guard on rear bumper . I did no see this guard Last Dec. in showroom when I order the truck .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
picture please . I bougt the steel bumper plate and if the truck shows with the plastic plate, the plate is up for sale :(
 

·
Registered
Capri Blue GL 450,Ash leather, Off Road Package
Joined
·
57 Posts
GLDriver said:
picture please . I bougt the steel bumper plate and if the truck shows with the plastic plate, the plate is up for sale :(

Uh-oh.......:eek: I bought one too......have it already to mount on the bumper!!!! If this is true, then I guess we have to eat the loss or figure out how to get the plastic one off put the chrome one on ( which I think would look nicer )
 

·
Registered
2008 SL550
Joined
·
613 Posts
blittle said:
Uh-oh.......:eek: I bought one too......have it already to mount on the bumper!!!! If this is true, then I guess we have to eat the loss or figure out how to get the plastic one off put the chrome one on ( which I think would look nicer )
I agree blittle. Chrome would look better...will be anxious to see pics from poster above or you may get your car before he posts. Strange they would offer chorme to EU and black to US market?
 

·
Registered
07 GL450 05 645Ci
Joined
·
123 Posts
blittle said:
Uh-oh.......:eek: I bought one too......have it already to mount on the bumper!!!! If this is true, then I guess we have to eat the loss or figure out how to get the plastic one off put the chrome one on ( which I think would look nicer )
+ 1
 

·
Registered
07 GL320 CDI Black/Mac
Joined
·
129 Posts
nevadajack said:
I agree blittle. Chrome would look better...will be anxious to see pics from poster above or you may get your car before he posts. Strange they would offer chorme to EU and black to US market?
However, NJ, the EU version also has the chrome window surrounds, right? Why don't they think us poor Americans are worthy of a little bling;) ?
 

·
Registered
2008 SL550
Joined
·
613 Posts
carpersn said:
However, NJ, the EU version also has the chrome window surrounds, right? Why don't they think us poor Americans are worthy of a little bling;) ?
MBUSA operates in their own little world, thinking they know what the US buyer wants and needs. They either do not offer all of the available options or they offer options in packages that buyers do not want or need.

Their US marketing, order processing and fulfillment is one screwed up situation...we deserve better and should demand better.
 

·
Registered
Capri Blue GL 450,Ash leather, Off Road Package
Joined
·
57 Posts
Isn't it amazing that what you think you ordered may not be what you actually get and what you think you ordered and what you actually get are not what was actually available????:confused: :confused: All controlled by some murky interaction between MBUSA, MBUSI, and DC back in Germany :banghead: I'm getting cranky as I wait for delivery.............
 

·
Registered
GL450 Alabaster White/Black Interior
Joined
·
14 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures. In my opinion, they should have continued to have nothing on the bumper and/or made the stainless one an option. It never ceases to amaze me what company's will do to save a buck (although in this case there was nothing there before so I guess they are actually spending a few bucks--literally). This plastic thing looks more at home on a budget SUV than a $60,000 Mercedes. Just my opinion but I don't like the way this plastic thing looks and I am very thankful mine did not come with it.
 

·
Registered
2008 SL550
Joined
·
613 Posts
LegendInMyOwnMind said:
Thanks for posting the pictures. In my opinion, they should have continued to have nothing on the bumper and/or made the stainless one an option. It never ceases to amaze me what company's will do to save a buck (although in this case there was nothing there before so I guess they are actually spending a few bucks--literally). This plastic thing looks more at home on a budget SUV than a $60,000 Mercedes. Just my opinion but I don't like the way this plastic thing looks and I am very thankful mine did not come with it.
I agree...my first reaction is "it looks shitty!" It does not appear to wrap around the edge of the bumper like the chrome one does. I will have to see if my dealer can remove this piece of crap and install the chrome one.
 

·
Registered
Capri Blue GL 450,Ash leather, Off Road Package
Joined
·
57 Posts
weimingmri said:
here is the pic of bumper guard
Gallery :: Untitled :: IMGP4631

Yes....thanks for the pic.........well, for me at least, I'll have to check with the dealer and see if the body people can check in their computers and see how the plastic one is attached. I have my stainless one ready to go and I want it on there! I don't want to damage my bumper by simply prying on the plastic.:mad:
 

·
Registered
07 GL450 05 645Ci
Joined
·
123 Posts
blittle said:
Yes....thanks for the pic.........well, for me at least, I'll have to check with the dealer and see if the body people can check in their computers and see how the plastic one is attached. I have my stainless one ready to go and I want it on there! I don't want to damage my bumper by simply prying on the plastic.:mad:
I'd be willing to bet it uses the same holes the ROW uses to attach the chrome one. If we can get the black plastic one off (should be fairly easy), it will make installing the chrome one much better (without tape.)
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top