·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300E, 2012 Mercedes C250 Luxury
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all, two quick questions:

Our 1993 300E has some scratches on the rear bumper, see photo here:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Can this be fixed by using some sort of touch-up paints? If so where could I buy such paint? If this is not fixable with touch-up paints, what options do I have to make it look better?

Also, I bought a code reader from eBay, and after using the code reader, now for some reason one of the "circulation (??)" light is flashing, see photos here:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What is this flashing light stands for, and what should I do to fix it? Many thanks!

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
13,172 Posts
Don't bother trying to repair such an inexpensive part. autopartsplace dot com has them for new for $47 and change. Look under bumper "trim"

No answer on the blinking the rec. light. Why purchase a code reader on ebay when you can build one from Radio Shack parts for less than $10??

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't bother trying to repair such an inexpensive part. autopartsplace dot com has them for new for $47 and change. Look under bumper "trim"

No answer on the blinking the rec. light. Why purchase a code reader on ebay when you can build one from Radio Shack parts for less than $10??

Good Luck,
Jayare
Hi Jayare, thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate that. By the way, can this be a DIY project? I have never replaced a rear bumper trim before. Is there any step-by-step youtube or picture tutorials out there that I could learn how to do this myself? Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, a mechanic friend told me that if I want to try to clear the codes (check engine light on), and drive for a while to see if the codes would come back right away, I could just disconnect the car battery and wait for 5-10 minutes. Then it should clear all the error codes. Is this true? Can anyone please confirm this? Thanks!

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
NO. It's a temporary fix. If there's a short in one of the systems, or something's not functioning or communicating like it should, the CEL will return. Best to find out what it means and then make a decision to fix it.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
13,172 Posts
Chuang,

Please use the search feature of the forum. Look for "reading codes". Your car has a built in code reader anyway (if it is an original CA car) and you'll find, by reading other threads, what the codes are, how to read them and how to clear them. If for any reason you need to disconnect your battery, make damn sure you have the code for the radio. Otherwise, you'll need to visit the dealer to get it.

It only takes basic mechanical skills and minor tools to remove the rear bumper from the car and replace the impact strip. I think there are 8 bolts that hold the bumper on the car. Again, using the search function will lead you in the right direction.

If you are un-sure of your abilities, find a good MB shop. You have mentioned in other post about working with some shop that works on mostly Pacific rim imports. They are not the guys you want to deal with. In the main topic headers of Benzworld, you will find one for "Suggested" repair facilities. Go there and see what you find or perhaps another Bay area member can point you in the right direction.

For my money, get the mechanical things sorted out first then move on to minor cosmetic issues..

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
1992 400e
17 Posts

Good Luck,

Jayare
man thanks for the link,i was about to bondo and paint mine,now i shall R&R.
:thumbsup: :bowdown:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, the circulation light went off by itself for some reason. When I was trying to reset the #7 slot codes, I would hear some sort of "fluid" running around the engine type of sound, does anyone know what's that?? Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts