Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
500 SE (1989), 304,000 km.
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

Ok -- this is what happened. I was driving along over a speed-bump, and then it felt as though the car's suspension was dragging on the ground (it was a sound I won't forget any time soon). In panic :eek:, I stopped the car in a (thankfully) not so busy road, put on my hazard lights, and what I find is that the right-side bumper edge is lodged partly in the groove of my tire. I tried to tie it to the toe-eye with some rope, to make the journey home, but mid-way there again the same thing happens and it lodges again, before I release it once more. The only visible thing was that a tiny portion of the side bumper was ground-down and etched, that'll all, a testament to the strength of our bumpers. Also, one of my tires' studs was yanked off in the episode. Now I have to get the bumper secured, since the bolts holding it in place have broken off in parts.

Now I know that our W126s are robust -- nevertheless, do I need to worry about any tire alignment issues (had done a year ago), suspension issues, whatever?? (I can hear a creaking sound from the front of the car when I move off slowly, brake, and then move off again, which I guess is the suspension, but that sound was already there before this episode, only now it's a tad more audible.)

Hopefully I'm Ok. Let me know your thoughts.

Early summer regards,
RS :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,110 Posts
Remove the damaged bumper and get another 4-wheel alignment at your local MB dealer.

Have them inspect your suspension components at the same time.

Wouldn't surprise me if you need a new tire as well. :(

.....and have the rim checked if the tire needs to come off.

·
Registered
1990 W126 300SE - High Mileage Award
995 Posts
Sounds to me like the missing stud is th eworst of it. If you can get a new stud installed, do it, or otherwise just put a new tire on there. If you were travelling at low speed (you were, right?) you probably didn't do anything bad at all.

·
Registered
500 SE (1989), 304,000 km.
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Axel, 300 SE,

Thanks for the replies. I was going at like 10 mph (15 kph)...literally just crawling along when it happened. It's weird, I felt like staying off the highway that day, and thank heavens I did. When I say that the bumper got lodged, it didn't in any way penetrate the skin of the tire, thankfully, but got stuck only in the tire's groove. Amazingly, there is no wear on the tire, except a single dislodged winter tire stud, that's all, which doesn't compromise the safety of the tire. (I bought these tires 1 1/2 years ago and have barely driven 1,000 km. with 'em, so they're in top-notch shape.)

A few things to ask:

1) You mentioned the 4-wheel alignment once more...could I really have screwed the camber, etc. settings? (Or is the 4-wheel alignment an ideal routine yearly which I will need to get done this year at a garage in any event?)

2) Could this event really have messed with the suspension significantly?

3) I'm having my winter tires replaced with my summer set tomorrow, so the wheels will be coming off. What part of the rim should I check?

Ok, thanks for helping us out here with excellent advice.

RS :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
There is a box shape bracket that is on the underside of each fender that holds the bumper in place. They are made of pot metal and are easily replaced. If you have over sized wheels and tyres that will lead to the tyre extending closer to the bumper.

Let the dealership check the alignment, usually for free if not out, then see if it needs it.

Regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts