Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody please help me. I need the color code for the bottom parts and bumper on my 1994 320SL. I was able to find the color code 744 , brilliant silver on the car ID plate, however I can't find a number for the bottom that is about two shades darker. I called the mercedes dealer, he told me that he couldn't give one to me. He said mercedes doesn't give them one. I tryed to find a color chart on E-bay but the ones I found didn't show the trim colors separate. :(

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
Wen I had my front apron repaired and resprayed my friend who did it just took th 744 code in and came back with the darker bottom colour paint from Spectrum paints the 744 code was enough to identify both shades top or bottom colours.

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts
Can somebody please help me. I need the color code for the bottom parts and bumper on my 1994 320SL. I was able to find the color code 744 , brilliant silver on the car ID plate, however I can't find a number for the bottom that is about two shades darker. I called the mercedes dealer, he told me that he couldn't give one to me. He said mercedes doesn't give them one. I tryed to find a color chart on E-bay but the ones I found didn't show the trim colors separate. :(
If you ask the dealer for a small touch up pot it would have the number on it,I can't see why he can't give it to you, the colour on the bumpers etc is a slightly matt finish ,I had mine done at an indy he had a chart with the numbers on hope this helps :)

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
You can look it up on the EPC but it's far easier on PaintScratch Touch Up Paint, Spray Cans, Paint Pen It's called atlas gray metallic matt clearcoat, DB181. Matt finish means you're supposed to put a flattening agent in the clear but you can get about the same results by wet sanding with 1500-2000 and then not machine buffing. Better to do the flattening agent though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to Dr colorchip yesterday, they couldn't tell me what color code the bumper and trim should be,sugested 702 may be close. I also went to paintscratch touch up paint. They didn't show a two tone combo with both 744 silver metallic and 181 grey matt metallic, however you reccomended the 181 grey matt and it looked like it may be the one I need. I called Dr. color chip and asked if the had the 181 available, said they did so I ordered some from them. I liked the Idea of painting the stuff on then wiping it off. Sounds easy as opposed to dabbing blobs on then trying to sand and buff the bumps off later. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks guys

·
Registered
R129066 - 500 SL
28 Posts
Dear friends,
This is indeed a problem..
I just received the datacard of my 1992 R129, my color is listed as code 122, which is PERLMUTTGRAU MET. 2C
Anyway this is the main color, and the one of the bumper is another gray, darker and not glossy as the main one, it looks like acrylic satin instead.
I know everybody's likely to paint the whole car in main glossy, I'd rather keep mine with the darker acrylic satin on bumpers
As I have PERLMUTTGRAU MET. 2C, there's only one darker bumper satin color ref option, I guess we should find that..
I was hoping with the datacard, but nope.
What do you think ?
Thanks
zork

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts
Dear friends,
This is indeed a problem..
I just received the datacard of my 1992 R129, my color is listed as code 122, which is PERLMUTTGRAU MET. 2C
Anyway this is the main color, and the one of the bumper is another gray, darker and not glossy as the main one, it looks like acrylic satin instead.
I know everybody's likely to paint the whole car in main glossy, I'd rather keep mine with the darker acrylic satin on bumpers
As I have PERLMUTTGRAU MET. 2C, there's only one darker bumper satin color ref option, I guess we should find that..
I was hoping with the datacard, but nope.
What do you think ?
Thanks
zork
Hi my 90 is the same colour 122 and here's the bumper etc colour which I got from the dealer ,this is the correct one .

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts