Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
slk 350
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my salesman called and told me my 350 just arrived.Today i'm leaving for Florida for a week.He said it would be in the showroom when I get back.My luck they will be hosting a field trip for 3rd graders along with an ice cream truck.I guess I can wait another week, but it's sooooooo hard.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I would call the salesman and insist that your car be kept in the back area and that people not have access to it.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Duo-Art - 3/16/2005 7:24 AM

I would call the salesman and insist that your car be kept in the back area and that people not have access to it.
Exactly. And check the mileage when it gets delivered to you (actually, tell them that you want it with less then 10miles on the odo when you pick it up).

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
patrooper - 3/16/2005 11:58 AM

He said it would be in the showroom when I get back.My luck they will be hosting a field trip for 3rd graders along with an ice cream truck.
I won't have thought they'd have it in the showroom the entire week ... maybe. [:0]

My dealer in their showroom, has several static display cars, and the rest are cars that are going out to customers that day. So those cars change daily!!! [8D]

So patrooper may find that his car doesn't go on the showroom floor until the day of collection. [:D]

(Hope that made sense) [8)]

·
Registered
slk 350
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have a car outside that they can demo so I don't think my car will be driven.Plus they can put the rear spoiler and areowings on the car.I certainly have something to look forward to.

·
Registered
2009 slk55 amg/ performance pkg.
191 Posts
Your car should not be in the show room.
When your sales person is not working other sales person will take the apotunity to show the car to get a sale. Just think of some one wearing jeans and the back pockets has metal pocket botton. they sit and rub and asjust the east without thinking thier pocket with the mettal bottons are messing up the leather. how about kids with thier hands dirty who come with thier parents. for example they just had icecreame arround the corner from the dealer ship or eaven bettter they had the ice creame at the dealer ship..
have them keep it in the back.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
I would be worried about a week at the dealer especially if you have not completed the transaction. After all, until you actually pay for it or sign the loan agreement it still belongs to the dealer. TEST DRIVE, TEST DRIVE, SURE YOU CAN HAVE A TEST DRIVE.

As soon as my car arrived I went in a sealed the transaction. I waited two days to pick it up becaise of dealer prep and bad weather. It was kept in a back room bewteen the service area and show room with a sign on it that said "sold". When I originally went in for a test drive the dealer showed us an SLK in this area just so we could see a different color and interior. However, he would not let me sit in it or even open the door since it was "sold".

If possible, complete the transaction before you leave. Then you have the leverage of legal ownership. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
rickboy - 3/16/2005 2:01 PM

I would be worried about a week at the dealer especially if you have not completed the transaction. After all, until you actually pay for it or sign the loan agreement it still belongs to the dealer. TEST DRIVE, TEST DRIVE, SURE YOU CAN HAVE A TEST DRIVE.

As soon as my car arrived I went in a sealed the transaction. I waited two days to pick it up becaise of dealer prep and bad weather. It was kept in a back room bewteen the service area and show room with a sign on it that said "sold". When I originally went in for a test drive the dealer showed us an SLK in this area just so we could see a different color and interior. However, he would not let me sit in it or even open the door since it was "sold".

If possible, complete the transaction before you leave. Then you have the leverage of legal ownership. Just my thoughts.
I mentioned in a previous thread that ownership does not always matter. I went to one Mercedes dealer and the only SLK he had on the lot was sold and being prepped. In fact, the new owners were waiting in the waiting room for it. The sales person convinced the prep guys to let us take it for a spin and off we went...even onto the freeway....in a "Sold" car.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
malibuite - 3/17/2005 7:55 AM
I mentioned in a previous thread that ownership does not always matter. I went to one Mercedes dealer and the only SLK he had on the lot was sold and being prepped. In fact, the new owners were waiting in the waiting room for it. The sales person convinced the prep guys to let us take it for a spin and off we went...even onto the freeway....in a "Sold" car.
I find this a little hard to believe. While the new owners were waiting? Did you see them yourself? If true, it is sheer arrogance. Imagine receiving your new car, and the engine is hot because some person just redlined an engine with 10 miles on it.

Incredible. I would never buy from a place like this, and I would tell them so. (And anyone else who cares to listen.)

roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
No test drives!

Before my car was delivered to the dealership, I wrote them a letter with a number of things I wanted checked, done, or not done. They honoured all of that. Included in the letter was the following:

"You have given me an undertaking to ensure that the vehicle is driven the absolute minimum before delivery, and certainly not for purposes other than one road inspection. I count on that."

The vehicle was delivered with 15km (9miles) on the odometer. I thanked the dealer, and left a happy camper.

roadsta

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
roadsta - 3/17/2005 3:17 AM

I find this a little hard to believe. While the new owners were waiting? Did you see them yourself? If true, it is sheer arrogance. Imagine receiving your new car, and the engine is hot because some person just redlined an engine with 10 miles on it.

Incredible. I would never buy from a place like this, and I would tell them so. (And anyone else who cares to listen.)

roadsta
I did not see the owners before I left for the test drive but did see them when I got back. The guys prepping the car absolutely did not want us to take it but the salesman persisted and won. Actually, I was very careful with the car knowing it was sold, and other than putting a few extra miles on it, did no damage. In fact, I don't think I would ever redline a demo car sold or not.

I did not purchase from this dealer for this very reason and when they did call later re purchasing a car I told them why I would not be purchasing from them as I did not want my new car driven by strangers after I had paid for it.

And, by the way, the dealer is in Beverly Hills so I would say arrogance is an understatement[;)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK320
71 Posts
RE: No test drives!

roadsta - 3/17/2005 6:24 AM

Before my car was delivered to the dealership, I wrote them a letter with a number of things I wanted checked, done, or not done. They honoured all of that. Included in the letter was the following:

"You have given me an undertaking to ensure that the vehicle is driven the absolute minimum before delivery, and certainly not for purposes other than one road inspection. I count on that."

The vehicle was delivered with 15km (9miles) on the odometer. I thanked the dealer, and left a happy camper.

roadsta
Roadsta, would you be OK with posting what was in your letter to the dealership? It sounds like a good idea and I would like to do something similar before picking up my SLK next year. Thanks.

-Sam

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
malibuite - 3/18/2005 12:04 AM

roadsta - 3/17/2005 3:17 AM

roadsta
I did not see the owners before I left for the test drive but did see them when I got back. The guys prepping the car absolutely did not want us to take it but the salesman persisted and won. Actually, I was very careful with the car knowing it was sold, and other than putting a few extra miles on it, did no damage. In fact, I don't think I would ever redline a demo car sold or not.

I did not purchase from this dealer for this very reason and when they did call later re purchasing a car I told them why I would not be purchasing from them as I did not want my new car driven by strangers after I had paid for it.

And, by the way, the dealer is in Beverly Hills so I would say arrogance is an understatement[;)]
I rest my case - you did not buy from this dealer. I hope a dealer or two reads this. Trust cuts both ways.

roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
RE: No test drives!

SLKfan - 3/19/2005 2:22 PM

Roadsta, would you be OK with posting what was in your letter to the dealership? It sounds like a good idea and I would like to do something similar before picking up my SLK next year. Thanks.

-Sam
No worries mate. Here you go:

To: XXXXXX, XXXXXX Mercedes

XXXXX,

Finally it is not too long before I can take delivery of the SLK I ordered. I would really like to thank you for the good service to date, the information you sent me, and the interest you share in this car.

As you have figured out by now, I am a very interested customer and I look at things in detail.

Before delivery, could you please ensure the following:

1. I do not want holes drilled in the front bumper. I will get a slimline number plate. I would be happy to discuss the options / brackets, etc but for now please ensure that no holes are drilled. Let’s discuss on the day of delivery.

2. You have given me an undertaking to ensure that the vehicle is driven the absolute minimum before delivery, and certainly not for purposes other than one road inspection. I count on that.

3. I understand that Mercedes uses fully synthetic oil. Could you please confirm that this will be the case with this car, and confirm with me upon delivery. [This was probably superfluous.]

4. Please ensure that the fabric wind deflector, the tool to remove the antenna, and other standard accessories are with the car.

5. Please do not stick any stickers on the car.

6. I have read about some customers who had problems with noise inside the car with the roof up. This was solved with the application of silicone on some rubber seals. (Mercedes recall / technical solution.)

7. I also read that some customers had issues with

a. wheel alignment
b. some suspension issues?
c. some COMAND systems did not have the latest software installed in its memory.

Please ensure that all these and other recall issues have been attended to.

Thank you,

XXXXX

1 - 16 of 16 Posts