Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
C55, 745Li, Elgrand
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hong Kong is importing bulletproof Maybach 57, it cost around 20Mil HKD....so around 2,564,000USD. This car is going to be in the B7 level (the highest level) Which can stand against mines, rifles, and rockets. Originally the 57 weight around 2.5 tons, but now is 4.5 tons.

One of these bulletproof Maybach have already bought by a Japanese company.

·
Registered
S500, C320, 330xi
26 Posts
Do you know who the armourer of the car is? Also is the car really B7? Most cars are only B6/B7.

The 2.5M price tag includes HK's vehicular tax so the car is only about 1.25M right? That means the armour costs about 750,000 USD? That sounds quite steep even for B7 protection.

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
well if ur life is at such a threat that u need mega million dollar bullet proof cars.. then u better kill urself before someone else has to do it.. or simply put ur life is not worth a shit!!

·
Registered
S500, C320, 330xi
26 Posts
Natant - 7/6/2005 10:11 AM

Or drive a 1980's Fiat uno, that way most people wont even notice you.
The Maybach is too rare even in rich places like Hong Kong so it stands out too much. It's not a good idea to have a secure vehicle that grabs so much attention. In Latin America, many corporate execs and business people armour a Chrysler to blend in with traffic..

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is very true 450SEL 6.9, I remember having an argument with somebody on another forum about the relevance of an armoured E class - the guy was saying that there was no need for an armoured e class because people important enough to need an armoured vehicle would most likely be able to afford an S class, I tried to explain to him that people who genuinely fear for their lives often want to be as inconspicuous as possible - the e class offers just a wee bit More discretion than an S class. He didn't seem to grasp my point at all.

·
Registered
S500, C320, 330xi
26 Posts
Good to talk to you again tjmotor. Another senseless terrorist attack today so the world is definitely not getting any safer. My condolences to those whose lives were abruptly cut short.

Since no armoured car is impregnable, being able to blend in and most of all having a highly trained driver are the most important considerations. The E-Class can be more discreet so you are correct that it is not an issue of affordability. There is also a question of level of protection. The E-Guard is only handgun protected, S-Class is assault rifle B6/B7 class which means the windows are not armoured to the same level as the steel. Of course, Mercedes does have a G500 Guard that has full B7/B7 armour, but again there's a question of whether it will stand out too much in a city sprawl and whether it is suited for driving around tight city streets.

The E-Class Guard is intended to compete with the BMW Protection 5-Series or Audi A6 Security. These cars can be good chase or follow vehicles for the bodyguards to use. However I think many security experts are now using SUVs as chase vehicles because of their ground clearance and off-road capabilities.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts