Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I had a headlight burn out about 6 months ago. No big deal, I put a new one in. About a month ago, one of the back lights for the passenger vent burned out. I replaced it as well. 2 days ago, the center vent back light burned out, so I replaced it too. Now last night, the back light for the climate control burned out. They all definitely have burnt filaments, its not a loose connection or anything. Is this normal to have 3 different interior bulbs all burn out within a month of each other? Is it just coincidence or after 10 years do they all burn out at almost the same time?

·
Registered
2001 E430 220K mi. Obsidian Black metallic, Ash/Orion Grey interior
1,252 Posts
If it was the same bulb(s) burning out repeatedly, I would be concerned. But, at 10 years old, you should expect that most of these bulbs have reached the end of their design life. Sounds like coincidence to me...
Fred

First, I had a headlight burn out about 6 months ago. No big deal, I put a new one in. About a month ago, one of the back lights for the passenger vent burned out. I replaced it as well. 2 days ago, the center vent back light burned out, so I replaced it too. Now last night, the back light for the climate control burned out. They all definitely have burnt filaments, its not a loose connection or anything. Is this normal to have 3 different interior bulbs all burn out within a month of each other? Is it just coincidence or after 10 years do they all burn out at almost the same time?

·
Registered
2001 E320
58 Posts
Sooner or later all will burn out. Mine went from the front to the back and the inside (climate control, reading light, etc.). I would worry if the same bulb burns out repeatedly. For external bulbs, I would replace them in pair. Otherwise, one side is brighter than the other side.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
By lowering the intensity of the interior lights, you may prolong the life of the remaining original bulbs.

·
Registered
2000 E430
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not shocked they are burning out in general, just the timing of one right after the other seemed odd. Luckily, none of the same ones have burned out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts