Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Looks pretty good, although I would prefer red to blue if I were to go away from white. I had put red LEDs in a SAAB before (custom lighting, not using the factory light pipes) and was very pleased with the look. Red light doesn't hurt your night vision as much, which is why I went with that color. I added a couple of small green LEDs to point at the odometer, so I could see the red digits on the tenths place (mechanical odometer).

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
899 Posts
OOOOO MAAAAAAANN .......

I Just replacd ALL my Dash bulbs fom MB for 76$S.

B

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Just want to post a few pics on IC removal learned from the thread and posting here.

Post #22 showed the proper tools, this is the cheap one I made by bending a iron wire-type cloth hanger, also learned from the posts and threads here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 E320 190,000 miles sold 97 E320 288,000
64 Posts
One more note on the replacement bulbs. I think that all the bulbs are available from Autohauz, including the 2 watt bulbs that go into the yellow holders (79 cents each). This is much cheaper than the dealer. I just replaced both my 2 watt bulbs (yellow holder) with the bulbs from Autohauz.

·
Registered
1998 ml-320 stock,oem bug deflector, nerf bars, leather gray upholstery, delivery date 25 nov 97
662 Posts
a wee bit of claraty

will these "hooks" you refer to work on pulling the instrument cluster on the 1998 ml 320 ? just wanted to be shure befor i did something wrong and screwed the instrument cluster ;)

thanks !!

cnb

my bad i see now this is for the 210 E series

To remove the instrument panel is straight forward. It is merely held in place be friction. You can make up two small hooks out of a coat hanger and then insert them into the small gap just above the wooden trim on the left and right. If you insert the hooks (making them quite small and about 4 inches long with a good grip hold on the other end and then with the hook facing towards the cluster you can pull the cluster out. If you cant get the hook to catch level with the wooden trim then you can just hook onto the lip of the cluster just above the wood trim carfully. If you cant get it to move, then try one side then the other, it should come.

PS when you get the cluster out,dont disconnect the cables as it can cause an Airbag fault light to come on! Good Luck..

·
Registered
97 Mercedes E420, 2000 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet
25 Posts
Having trouble getting my dash cluster to budge. I made two pretty sturdy wire hooks and have tried multiple times to get my dash to come out, but it just won't move. Does anyone know another method, or perhaps a spot where I can squirt some silicon lubricant to un-bind this thing?
Driving around with a burnt bulb in the dash is driving me nuts!!

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Put

some painters tape to prevent scratches.If the hooks are not too stout insert both into one side and pull firmly and then alternate sides.TAKES SOME OOOMPH ON SOME AND OTHERS COME OUT JUST LOOKING SIDEWAYS AT THEM.:eek::bowdown:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently replaced all the meter cluster bulbs in my 97 E420. Now my cruise will not engage at >60 mph. Worked fine enroute to appointment. Mechanic laughed it off and said no way bulb replacement caused problem. Anyone out there know if there is a relation?
I don't think so either. Your cruise control unit is underneath the ashtray.
You have to remove the side panel of the centerconsole (screws are in the back by the rear seat vents) and after remove ashtray screws and remove ashtray.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hey guys, apparently our benzes will start AND run just fine with the instrument cluster removed.

however i do not know if the car will store the added miles while driving without the cluster. LOL
It will run and miles wont b put in.
When you put it back check engine light will show but it will b gone after a few startups (unless you do have problems) Or you can just remove the battery connection and replace it in 10 minutes or so.
You can leave the left connection on all you have to remove is the one on the right and no speedometer no miles are being counted.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,173 Posts
my tiny bulbs are stuck in the socket base no way of pulling them out
thats the way they are made. the tiny bulbs are sold as a unit with the base. Available from the dealer. The larger bulbs (similar to a type 194) come out of the base.

the larger bulbs are the cluster illumination. the smaller bulbs are for the various indicators and the illumination for the odometer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just want to post a few pics on IC removal learned from the thread and posting here.

Post #22 showed the proper tools, this is the cheap one I made by bending a iron wire-type cloth hanger, also learned from the posts and threads here.
I fashioned hooks out of clothes hangers too but couldn't get them to latch on. I was able to get my cluster out eventually using a paint can lid remover and prying the lip of the cluster with lots of effort.

Looking at the sides of the removed instrument cluster, I figured out why my hanger didn't work. My hanger was a little too thick to slip into the notches where the tool is supposed to hook onto. Also the notches are a little below where the tool enters so you have to slide it down after inserting to latch.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I fashioned hooks out of clothes hangers too but couldn't get them to latch on. I was able to get my cluster out eventually using a paint can lid remover and prying the lip of the cluster with lots of effort.

Looking at the sides of the removed instrument cluster, I figured out why my hanger didn't work. My hanger was a little too thick to slip into the notches where the tool is supposed to hook onto. Also the notches are a little below where the tool enters so you have to slide it down after inserting to latch.
Not necessarily to slip into the notches, just hook wherever you can pull it out.

·
Registered
2000 E320
100 Posts
Another Instrument Cluster Light Bulb Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After putting up with dim back lighting on my instrument cluster on my 2000 E320 for too long I read the many comments on this site concerning the light bulb replacemants. I bought the MB tools for removing the cluster at $22 and found only one tool is necessary since cluster removal is one side 1/8 inch at a time so one tool can be used first on the right then on the left.
The bulbs are dificult to remove with a screw driver so I found a 1/4 drive 6mm socket is just right for a removal and bulb install tool. Now all is bright. Regards...

·
Registered
35 Posts
will these "hooks" you refer to work on pulling the instrument cluster on the 1998 ml 320 ? just wanted to be shure befor i did something wrong and screwed the instrument cluster ;)

thanks !!

cnb

my bad i see now this is for the 210 E series
All MB clusters are screwless. You can buy the tool for like $10 on ebay.
Same tool for all MB all years.

·
Registered
2000 E320
100 Posts
Another Instrument Cluster Light Bulb Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After putting up with dim back lighting on my instrument cluster on my 2000 E320 for too long I read the many comments on this site concerning the light bulb replacemants. I bought the MB tools for removing the cluster at $22 and found only one tool is necessary since cluster removal is one side 1/8 inch at a time so one tool can be used first on the right then on the left.
The bulbs are dificult to remove with a screw driver so I found a 1/4 drive 6mm socket is just right for a removal and bulb install tool. Now all is bright. Regards...

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz E320
108 Posts
I changed my bubls for 1.5V to get a brighter light, they have been in for 2 years and not given a problems, You can always turn the brightness down with the swtich too...
I just found this thread and wanted to know what LED bulb you used, I'm planning on changing out the 2 bulbs in the Yellow Socket holder, but I have no idea what type of LED would go in it. Im planning on swapping the lights from orange to either U.V, blue or red, haven't decided yet. I know it might be a noob question, but I'm honestly confused as to the type of LED to order, I dont want to find out later that the LED I bought didnt fit the bulb holder itself.

If anyone can take a look at this site and recommend the bulb to me, it would really help me out

Miniature Wedge Base Bulbs - Super Bright LEDs

Thank you.

·
Registered
2004 SL500; 2003 E320; 2001 ML430 Sport; 1999 E320 Wagon
404 Posts
Having had some issues pulling the instrument panel, I thought I'd add the following picture to help locate where the catches are. They are lower than I was looking and the spot the hook goes in is very tight. I'm using the ebay tool which is plenty strong. Honestly, you have to pull quite hard to release the cluster.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 76 Posts