Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. Yesterday I figure I would start my summer project. So I ripped of my Grill Gaurd and sanded it down to be repainted (and maybe add two more hella's). Also i got some Foam and molded out the shape of my custom fiberglass box i am building for the ML.

My question is, has anyone done any fiberglassing? I have read tons of posts at sounddomain and boating forums and i was just curious if anyone here had any tricks on fiberglassing

·
Registered
2000 ML320
110 Posts
I wanted to go that route, but I didn't have time to try and build It myself, and the shops that I priced, wanted astronomical fees to build a fiberglass box.

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
One important thing you must do is build some "draft" or a slight taper into your mold so you can remove the box. Then you'll need some type of parting agent applied to your mold. After that it's just a matter of applying layers of resin and cloth. Make sure to use new resin and accelerator and follow the instructions for mixing same. If you live near a lake or the ocean in NC go to a boatyard or surfboard shop and they can give you the latest on how to do it. It can be fun if done correctly. Have fun! [8D]

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
I guess I got jipped from the installers, they gave me 16 guage wire or something pretty cheap, I showed a friends dad my system, who owns an audio video company and installs extremely high end systems in houses and said I was probably losing all my power in those wires, one of his workers ironicly works at the same place I got this system done on the weekends (didn't work on my car) anyways the son of the dad just got his system for his birthday and the worker is going to install it, i'm going to talk to him if I can get streetwires or something

any ideas of what other wires I should use?

·
Registered
2000 ml 430
151 Posts
I have done quite a bit of fiberglass work. main choice is what kind of resin to use, polyester or epoxy, and what kind of fabric lay-up schedule to use. get a copy of "This Old Boat" by Don Casey, practice with a small project, then go for it.
good luck.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
BlackHawk - 5/15/2005 12:46 PM

I guess I got jipped from the installers, they gave me 16 guage wire or something pretty cheap, I showed a friends dad my system, who owns an audio video company and installs extremely high end systems in houses and said I was probably losing all my power in those wires, one of his workers ironicly works at the same place I got this system done on the weekends (didn't work on my car) anyways the son of the dad just got his system for his birthday and the worker is going to install it, i'm going to talk to him if I can get streetwires or something

any ideas of what other wires I should use?
For good wires you should get a 4 guage setup from Monster Cable, Stinger, or JL Audio. Those are the best brands I've delt with in all my previous audiophile years.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use 12ga speaker wire.. You are not going to loose that much unless you are pushing like 2000 watts. In that case the wire would melt the plastic surround.

Ignore what i just wrote... YOUR WHOLE SYSTEM IS WIRED WITH 16GA?!!!! Holy shit.. I would go rip them all new asses.. ASAP!!!

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Just to clarify, when I said 4 Gauge I only ment for power and ground wires....

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought I would post some pictures....

Let me know what you guys think... About the mold so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
I've got a question for you all

About 1 1/2 weeks ago I bought 1 MTX Thunder 7500 10" sub

4 days ago I decided I wanted another one, so I upgraded the amp and got a dual box, I had a installer do all of this work for me

the day the second sub was installed they told me to come out and look at the final product, I did and noticed one sub wasnt pumping very hard as the other, they checked the levels and stuff (i'm not very knowledgable about everything, just learning) and determined one was new (the one not pumping very hard) and the second was old (at the time about 5 days old) I have heard that subs sound better after they are worn in so this sounded reasonable, they told me to give it a week, after time it will pump out more, it has been 4 days, and it doesnt look like it is pumping out any more than it did 4 days ago, I called and told them and they said bring it in, they are about 30 minutes out, and I want to save some gas, is this normal? should I wait longer?

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
BlackHawk - 5/16/2005 10:07 PM

I've got a question for you all

About 1 1/2 weeks ago I bought 1 MTX Thunder 7500 10" sub

4 days ago I decided I wanted another one, so I upgraded the amp and got a dual box, I had a installer do all of this work for me

the day the second sub was installed they told me to come out and look at the final product, I did and noticed one sub wasnt pumping very hard as the other, they checked the levels and stuff (i'm not very knowledgable about everything, just learning) and determined one was new (the one not pumping very hard) and the second was old (at the time about 5 days old) I have heard that subs sound better after they are worn in so this sounded reasonable, they told me to give it a week, after time it will pump out more, it has been 4 days, and it doesnt look like it is pumping out any more than it did 4 days ago, I called and told them and they said bring it in, they are about 30 minutes out, and I want to save some gas, is this normal? should I wait longer?
Subs do need time to break in to sound better by loosening up, but the old and new one shouldnt be THAT much different, specially only in five days. Bring it in to them, the wiring of the subs must be faulty.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When he says wiring might be faulty dont think that you are going to have to go through the warranty to get it fixed, it might be something small that they messed up on like i said about the 2ohm and 4ohm, but if so, and you have been playing it for a long duration of time, you might mess up the subs.

Also, is that box rated for the cubic feet (of space for air) that the subs need???

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
ttaleric - 5/16/2005 10:47 PM

When he says wiring might be faulty dont think that you are going to have to go through the warranty to get it fixed, it might be something small that they messed up on like i said about the 2ohm and 4ohm, but if so, and you have been playing it for a long duration of time, you might mess up the subs.

Also, is that box rated for the cubic feet (of space for air) that the subs need???
That is exactly what I ment ... they may have wired them at two different ohm configurations.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
yeah the box is spec'd right

I'll take it to them thursday, they are out of the way and I will be going over there thursday, the amp is 4 channel so they bridged it, its plausable that they may have bridged it wrong, we will see thursday

hopefully if this gets fixed I will get more bass, my "new" sub is pumping what seems like 30% of what the week older one is

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Black,
The installer put a 4 channel amp for two subs? You must mean a 2 channel. If not, you need to exchange it out, if you REALLY want those subs to pound, i would switch amps for a Mono channel amp and tell them to re wire the subs into a 4-2ohm rating.

If you want to keep it audiobahn i would suggest A8000T. Which at 4ohms it pushes 800x1. Which will be a graceful plenty for those two MTX's. But if you REALLY have a 4 channel amp, i would suggest you keep that amp for later installment of aftermarket door speakers. Or trade it straight up for the mono amp. GOOD LUCK!!!!

-joe

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
modojojo - 5/17/2005 9:22 AM

some 4 channel amps can be bridged to 2 channels(example:75x4 or 150x2)the amp may not be the problem.

It is worse to underpower your subs. When these are rated to handel 400RMS he needs to be atleast pushing 400Watts. And i have never heard of a 4Channel amp pushing 400X2 bridged. ( i could be wrong) But i am sure if there is a 4 channel amp that does that it will cost a arm and a leg.

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
273 Posts
First, to be pushing a full 400W into a 400W RMS rated speaker is fine. To be pushing more, is asking for trouble. 400W RMS means it's rated for 100% duty cycle at 400W. If you pair it up with a 500W amp, chances are you won't blow it but you will reduce the life of the voice coil over time. I usually run my power amps in live performances about double the RMS value of the cabinet - but, that's where the levels are controlled and monitored and the power amps are purposely under utilized to ensure a good clean sine wave. In a car, you don't know if you're pushing 400W or 500W...it's just louder...best to go on the cautious side.

Second, there are plenty of 4 channel amps out there that run 2 channel bridge mode and there's even a few rare and expensive ones that can run 1 channel bridge as well...

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
It is 4 channel, A6004T, they bridged it to two (i'm not very knowledgable about this stuff except for bare basics) my total RMS sub power is 800 and the amp runs at 600rms, I talked to them about it, and they said that it wont be a problem unless you are extremely pushing it, I too wanted a A8002T

1 - 20 of 22 Posts