·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
George, I've seen what havoc my HT11A can wreak on the truck and unfortunate things around it. I personally wouldn't DIY one, unless it was really small. The forces one can transfer to the mog is insane. I've had three wheels off the ground with the bucket stuck under a buried steel beam. Made me think really hard about the mounting....

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,430 Posts
George, I've seen what havoc my HT11A can wreak on the truck and unfortunate things around it.
I agree - I ran a small hoe off a Kubota B21 tractor last fall, digging some footings. I was very surprised how much leverage and power the thing had for such a small rig.

kubota b21 backhoe - Google Image Search

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
The little tag along ones are neat, but have heard that if your not carefull, you can drag yourself into the pit you just dug. The three point variety is nice if you can use that, and the skid steer models are great for a small machine. The dedicated mog models (schaeff and Case) are no joke, and will start bending breaking stuff if your not carefull. I looked at a case mog extend-hoe that was equipped with a "wiggle wrist; bucket tilted left to right", and every part of the thing had been repaired and braced. My HT-11A could tip the whole truck if abused, somewhere on youtube or liveleak there is a video that shows an SBU with HT12, bucket stuck, standing on the stabilizers, all wheels off of the ground. Motor stalled as the fuel sloshed to one end of the tank and left it nose up. Anyway, .02 more to the pot.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The little tag along ones are neat, but have heard that if your not carefull, you can drag yourself into the pit you just dug...
ahhhhh very good point. One of the other pics on the web site showed one of the tow behind units still attached to the tow rig trailer ball while the guy was using it. Sounds real smart to me now that you mention this.

·
Registered
1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
3,310 Posts
seeing as how I reside in a somewhat wet N Ireland my perspective is skewed
However my advice would be to bit the bullet and buy a 2.5 to 3.5 tonne tracked 360 excavator,
And tow it behind your Mog.
If you are on hard ground rubber tracks are fine, in the mud you need steel.
I had direct personal experience of this with the same 10 tonne , first on the rubber tracks and a year later on what looked like the same size / width steel tracks, cleaning sheaughs.
a completely different animal

A 5 or 6 tonne would be the choosen tool for local farm usuage, easy to tow, enough power for a high % of tasks, hire in a bigger one for the remaining work
M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts