Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

From the replys it seems that many SLK350 built in Nov 2004 are not having oil usage problems - mine

• None - Nov. 2004

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • None - Jan. 2005

• Lots - March 2005

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 1 QT- oct 2004

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • None - 08/04 Build Euro Deliv - 11K miles

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • None - Oct 2004

• None - Oct '04

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • 3 qts - Dec 2004

• None - Jul 2004

• None - Sept 2004

• None - Dec. '04

• None - March 2005

• Lots-Dec '04

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the replys it seems that many SLK350 built in Nov 2004 are not having oil usage problems - mine included.

Lets see if there is a pattern here. Go ahead and add your usage level as "none", "some", "lots" and a date in the format of month year of the build. If its already there please don't add another. See my example.

Lets see what pops up.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
25 reads and only 4 votes? Let's help each other out here and see if there is a pattern. Could help out MB to find the problem if it relates back to a built date or lot.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
I agree. Now 43 views and 4 votes. If you lookers aren't SLK owners, who are you guys? Guess it could be worse. I guess non-owners could vote thus skewing the results but where are all those people who have been complaining about oil usage? Oh well, it is only mid afternoon west coast time so maybe more people will vote this evening[8D]

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
malibuite - 5/2/2005 6:23 PM

I agree. Now 43 views and 4 votes. If you lookers aren't SLK owners, who are you guys? Guess it could be worse. I guess non-owners could vote thus skewing the results but where are all those people who have been complaining about oil usage? Oh well, it is only mid afternoon west coast time so maybe more people will vote this evening[8D]
Thanks. Maybe people don't know where the build date is or they are still at work, play, etc.

Build date is on the drivers side door frame.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
My car was built in mid November. I checked the oil tonight about an hour after I got home and it was at the full mark. 2200 miles.

Roberta

Love the Gibson, Snowball. I grew up and still live near Les Paul's home town of Waukesha, WI. I used to own a 1962 Les Paul Jr. SG. Like years, it slipped away.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I voted with 1 quart for October 2004. That's with about 4000miles on the clock.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roberta - 5/2/2005 7:47 PM

My car was built in mid November. I checked the oil tonight about an hour after I got home and it was at the full mark. 2200 miles.

Roberta

Love the Gibson, Snowball. I grew up and still live near Les Paul's home town of Waukesha, WI. I used to own a 1962 Les Paul Jr. SG. Like years, it slipped away.
Thanks. Its the closest thing I could fidn to my Tangerine Burst Les Paul Class 5.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
malibuite - 5/3/2005 6:29 PM

Snowball - 5/3/2005 11:17 AM

Any more owners that use oil care to vote on this one?
Yes, its strange that there appeared to be a lot of posts on oil usage but only 2 have voted.
3 with oil usage, all the rest non.
4 Oct. 2 with 2 without
1 March with
Nov, Dec looked like good months.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
malibuite - 5/4/2005 9:44 AM

Nov, Dec looked like good months.
...and January (I'm a January build)[8D][/QUOTE]

Sorry. Yes Jan was a great month.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
After all the previous posts, I've been dreading it - (drove my car back from Bremen on the 10th of Oct last year,155 most of the way back on the autobahn's, drove it like I stole it since then - red lining it, 140 - 150mph when I can get away with it) - checked the oil today, and ................. guess wot ............ not used a drop[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

p.s. bit worried bout our friends who are having their engines replaced - do MB actually know what the problem is, or are they trying to buy time?[:(!][:(!]

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
Maybe most of the lookers but non voters are newbies like me who have just got their new SLK and have just heard of this problem. I will be monitoring this for sure and will let you know. Unlike Woolly I am being a good boy and keeping the right foot light for the first 1000 miles....

·
Registered
515 Posts
I for one, would not buy a MB SLK 350 until MB corporate completes an objective evaluation and makes a public statement to that effect as well as makes everyone who bought one of these problem children, dare I say LEMONs 'whole'. This is from someone who very nearly ordered a 55 AMG last month until I started deading this forum. I don't mind waiting; I just hope MB doesn't go out of business before they become reliable again.[:(!]

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
I will have a look at the weekend should be about 1000 miles then.

Treated it gently so far - no hard braking or acceleration, varied the revs < 4000.

All the usual stuff the book says to do.

Bit nervous about looking to be honest but that is the only way to find out.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
reallife - 5/4/2005 8:16 PM

I for one, would not buy a MB SLK 350 until MB corporate completes an objective evaluation and makes a public statement to that effect as well as makes everyone who bought one of these problem children, dare I say LEMONs 'whole'. This is from someone who very nearly ordered a 55 AMG last month until I started deading this forum. I don't mind waiting; I just hope MB doesn't go out of business before they become reliable again.[:(!]
I understand your concern, but do you think MB makes on purpose engines that 'fail'? It's not their goal and they will do what they can to ensure that any problem that may exist, is fixed.

The engine is a new one and has been much hyped by MB, and whilst you'll find people with defective engines, you'll also find owners that have 10k trouble free miles or more.

So basically, the problems some people were having on this forum gave you cold feet and you opted out, although you really had no idea if your car was going to be troubefree or not.

e.g. My 55 AMG must have been one of the first that was built (delivered in October of 2004) and with 5000miles on it, I've had zero actual problem.

Personally, I think it's your loss. You takes your chances with EVERYTHING in this life. You might end up buying a Honda and still end up with one of the few cars that actually has problems. The biggest difference with MB owners is that when a problem DOES occur, they don't keep it between themselves and the dealer, they want to, and will spout it out on all the forums to bring awareness to problems that exist with their cars. And whilst I have nothing against this, after all, it is a good thing to 'know' as much as we can about the cars we buy (MB being an expensive brand after all), it does however mean that you'll also find owners who reports zero problems with their cars.

It's funny, but the more I roam around various automotive forums, MB forums seem to be the ones with the most 'complaining' owners of them all. Buy a Ferrari, and you'll almost certainly have a bug here or there, but do they complain? No, they accept it as part of the car, yet the car itself is sometimes much more expensive then an MB...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Regarding M-B reliability issues: "Talk is cheap"

I don't mind waiting on the sidelines until they get this oil burning engine problem under control. From the forums it appears to be limited to the 350 engine and I'll be ordering the 55 so the problem might not even affect my planned purchase. Why take a chance, let MB get this thing solved, make all the buyers of these defective engines 'whole' and they'll get my business. If they try to bury this issue under a smokescreen (sorry) I'll vote Japanese. [8D]

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
Mine was built Oct. '04 and was fine until 1846 miles, when the check oil light came on for the first time. 1.5 quarts were added and all was fine until 2547 miles when check oil came on again, this time needing 1 quart. My dealer denied any knowledge of problems with the 350 engine or any TSB's but has scheduled me for the dreaded oil consumption test starting on 5/11. For those wondering about returning in 620 miles, that's about 1000km, which is the standard MB uses in defining excess consumption. When it's finally proven that my motor is bad, this car has got to go. Nothing short of a free replacement ( '06) would come close to just compensation for a $53000 lemon. BTW check out lemonlaw.com for assistance if you are in the same situation. Legal representation is free (in PA); the manufacturers must pay all costs, even if the plaintiff is unsuccessful.

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Just past 1000 miles - checked this morning and the oil level is on max.

Assuming that was the level when delivered I have not lost any oil during the run in period.

Will check again at 2000 miles and see what that shows.

Feel sorry for the guys that have a problem with this - until the cause is found I am not confident that the problem will not occur on my car though.

So far so good anyways [:)]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts