Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ML350
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:
Can anyone tell me if there is a bug/stone shield available for my 2004 ML 350 Inspiration? The WeatherTech one advertised by a variety of suppliers does not fit under the hood center because of the grill mount brackets, and EGR does not seem to make one for that year/model.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,627 Posts
Yes, there are plenty and in many colors - check ************* dot com. However, I'd say skip the darn bug shield - they're simply ugly on the clean lines of the ML. I had one on my 02 320 and though it worked, it was hideous and hated the thing. On my 05 500, I decided to try the 3M protective film. For over 4 years now, I've been through snow, stones, ice and xtreme heat with this shield and I have to say that this thing is amazing. Even saved one of my headlamps during a late night "very large bird hit." Get the film.

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
Ditto Darkman's comments. I have had the 3M product on all my Ms and they work quite well. On my MY05, I had the front portion of the roof covered to prevent grit under the Benevento windshield from abrading the paint.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,627 Posts
Ditto Darkman's comments. I have had the 3M product on all my Ms and they work quite well. On my MY05, I had the front portion of the roof covered to prevent grit under the Benevento windshield from abrading the paint.
I did the entire front facia, hood, headlamps along with the front and rear bumpers. The film couldn't take the heat from the round fogs though, so after several tries with different thicknesses, we gave up on that - too bad. The installer had xtra film, so he custom cut pieces to cover the rear fender flares - my kids have a habit of sliding on the flares when coming out of the truck. This was done in Dec. 05 and to date, it still looks like the first day it was put on - not even the bird strike section looks bad, until you really zoom in close.

·
Registered
2004 ML350
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Understood, and appreciated, all. I'm considering a 'bra' instead now for long 'buggy' trips to Florida. Any comments/recommendations?

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Understood, and appreciated, all. I'm considering a 'bra' instead now for long 'buggy' trips to Florida. Any comments/recommendations?
Anything that comes in contact with paint will rub and could cause scratches. Ask me how I know... I'm about to go pick up my truck from the shop in a few minutes. I just had the roof repainted to get rid of some nasty scratches.

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
909 Posts
So will bug juice baking in the sun. Ask me how I know <g>.... So it becomes six of one or one half dozen of another.

If you are doing long distance trips often then personally I lean towards the hood guard. If not then it is better for your vehicle in the long run to just wash it immediately after each trip.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,627 Posts
No! No!! No!!! Don't get a bra (besides the fact that your breasts aren't thet nipply). Bras trap dust, bugs and whatever back there and if it ever rains while you're on your trip, moisture will build up under the bra and just cause havoc on your paint. If you can't get the film, get the bug shield instead. They look way better than the bra and protect better. I know, I have used all of them and I drive mostly highways from MD to GA to FL to LA. I have seen bug effects, big ones, hit birds and seen the havoc that comes with trapped moisture.

·
Registered
2004 ML350
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.......I'm thinking I would remove the bra after long trips - keeping only for inter-state trips (and/or love-bug season!).

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
.......I'm thinking I would remove the bra after long trips - keeping only for inter-state trips (and/or love-bug season!).
Oh the places this thread could go...and won't because this is a family-friendly forum.

I suppose this is an option. I still think cleaning is better than having something rubbing on the paint, no matter how short the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts