Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across another manufacturer that makes the front brush bar for the ML's?... gotta have one with the tabs on it so there is the option to get the PIAA lights put on. Found some on ebay but none have the tabs to put the PIAA's on... wonderin in anyone had a source or found it somewhere else rather than payin large $$$ from the dealer. Cheers[:D]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,135 Posts
RE: Brush Bar w/ lights

I adapted Hella FF200s to the factory bar, which has threaded holes on th backside. It takes a little modification to the light mounting foot, but is pretty slick.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
RE: Brush Bar w/ lights

Hey bud, sorry this is OT but how do you like the REMUS ?? Where did you get it ?? And how does it make your vehicle sound ??

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,135 Posts
RE: Remus exhaust

MLOffRoad - 2/22/2005 9:18 AM

Hey bud, sorry this is OT but how do you like the REMUS ?? Where did you get it ?? And how does it make your vehicle sound ??
I got the cat-back system over 6 years ago at Plus One Motorsports in Portland http://www.plusonemotorsports.com/. I've liked it. It gives a little throatier sound without being obnoxious, and the tips look pretty good.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
RE: Remus exhaust

Cool .. thxs for the info.

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
Yup. I've got the black powder coated Manik Bar with light tabs.

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that brush guards don't really give much protection. Someone must have hit the brush guard when the car was parked, because it got pushed up and back and the bar put a dent on the hood and the uprights cut into the plastic bumper. There probably would have been less damage if the impact was absorbed by the plastic bumpers (cheaper to replace, too).

I plan on getting on of these, when I have the $$$:

Its a TJM T1 aluminum bumper; it replaces the whole plastic cover and doesn't reduce the aproach angle like brush guards, plus it offers real impact protection unlike a brush guard. I am going to Line-X it because the chrome look is way too tacky.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Your ML looks nice with the white lettering out on those BFG's. What size tire are you running ??

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
hey chia, how is the ride when you changed your tire to BFG. was it rubbing or anything? I'm planning to get a set just for OFF roading. Can you mesure the height of the tire? whenever you have time.

TIA...jim

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
They are 32" Jim ... just like my tires right now. I will probably get a set of MTR's mounted on my old 16's just for off-roading in the same size as his BFG's. I suggest you do the same if the tire you are getting is for off-roading only. [:D]

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
I suggest you do the same if the tire you are getting is for off-roading only.
That's exactly what I'm planning to do[:)] SO it's 32" it can add up a 2" ground clearance to my OEM.

Thanks

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Yup ... you can fit 35's but thats pushing it (lots of rubbing). Im getting 33's for my 18's once I wear these down.

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
The 265/75-16 measures just under 32". It fits great, really fills up the wheel wells, and there is no rubbing at full lock or full flex front and rear. The tire stores will be reluctant to fit them, but they will fit. Don't let them scare you [:)].

You may also want to adjust the torsion bars in the front to level it out, and create a bit more space in the wheel well, but this is not necessary.

The tires ride great. There noise level is about the same as the OE General Grabbers, but they are slightly louder at above 70 mph. They ride very well, have decent handling, and feel secure in rain and light snow. Also, the 2" height difference is really noticeable for the first few weeks. You will like it, and when you get back into a 'stock' ML you will really notive the difference.

The 33" 285/75 R16 may fit, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure Wolfgang runs this size. The local tire place said there was more than enough clearance at full lock in the front. I'm not sure if the 33" tires will rub at full flex, though.

One final thing you sould consider is getting a full size spare tire. The stock 'cookie cutter' spare will not work with 32" tires. The ABS, ESP, BAS and other electronics will be confused with the different wheel speeds and you will not be able to drive safely.

·
Registered
1938 170V Cabro A
22 Posts
I found just what your looking for autoanything 858-569-8111 in Ca. for about $250 including freight. Easy to install but got what I paid for. it had rust spots in 2 months. Now there's no rain so I can't tell. The jurys out on stainless steel?

·
Registered
03 ML500
789 Posts
Having experienced the OEM and Manik brush bar, they don't offer any impact protection. Just looks and protection againts "brush"[:)][:)] I like the Waag too, but no skid plate.
I had the Hellas 4000 in the Manik bar with a bolt-on home made support (don't know how to weld yet)
Jimb, all the tire info is in Wolfgang's page. I have been using BFG's forever and no complaints yet.

·
Registered
'99 ML 430
272 Posts
Hi Dennis,

Once again thanks for the info. I Need to replace my brush guard because it has been damaged. Love the look of yours - It is the one for me[:D]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts