Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz E320
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just successfully completed resealing my valve and breather covers when I was reconnecting hoses at the rear of the engine and bumped into the connector for the master cylinder on the intake manifold and broke it. It was so brittle that it just snapped right off. I got the remnants of the connector out of the hose, then went to my dealer and ordered the following.

Code:
[U]Item no.	Part number		Designation/description	[/U]
11		A 111 997 05 45		[B]SEAL RING[/B]
					CONNECTION PIECE,BRAKE PRESSURE LINE

17		A 111 141 02 42		[B]CLAMPING RING[/B]
					CONNECTION PIECE, BRAKE PRESSURE LINE

23		A 111 141 00 81		[B]CAP[/B]
					CONNECTION PIECE, BRAKE PRESSURE LINE

62		A 003 997 02 86		[B]PLUG[/B]
					CONNECTOR
Upon receiving the parts I realized I was either missing some or they were different than what was on the car. The part I broke was a tan (likely formerly white or clear) part in the center that the hose slid onto and was not included in the parts I ordered.

Further still, I couldn't figure out how to get the broken piece out. I removed the cap (23) and tried pulling gently with a pair of pliers but it wouldn't slide out and just broke more. Below are pictures of the broken piece and where it is located on the intake manifold. I am beginning to suspect either the intake manifold has to be removed and the connector released from behind, or the large outer ring on the intake manifold (pictured) has to come off somehow.

I've done plenty of work on my car and this is the first time I've felt like I'm just at a total loss. I have access to both WIS and EPC and have been unable to locate any parts for or information about this connector and its replacement beyond the diagram above. I couldn't find anything on this forum or online either. If anyone can provide any information on how to replace this connector as well as the part numbers I need or refer me to any resources that would help I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I wish I had a solid answer for you, but I have not had the pleasure. There are two threads on it in the 163 forum:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1656214-brake-booster-pipe.html
and
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1656608-brake-booster-vacuum-line-connection-engine.html

In the latter the last poster is talking about it being a PITA to remove, but apparently once he got it out (he didn't follow up) it went back together properly. 43sqd (active in both threads) is an MB tech but he didn't really offer much in the way of a how-to.

In the first thread one guy just talked about it "clicking into place" and another said he just used tape.

Good luck with it; please do post back with something definitive when you figure it out. Your posts reflect some decent mechanical ability/thought so hopefully you'll get there without too much more difficulty.

The manifold itself comes off pretty easily if that will help to get at it. If you do end up having to go that route, replace the horrible-design vacuum line for the switchover valve that is at the front/bottom of the manifold while you have it out.

Good luck.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,984 Posts
I have replaced this thingamajig on my E430, it's not too bad once you get all the parts together in your hand. If I remember correctly, the plug (#62) is just that and not used on vehicles with power brakes. As for the pictures, I cannot see any but the parts listing you supplied, do you have better pictures of the broken/stuck piece?

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz E320
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I had a solid answer for you, but I have not had the pleasure. There are two threads on it in the 163 forum:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1656214-brake-booster-pipe.html
and
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1656608-brake-booster-vacuum-line-connection-engine.html

In the latter the last poster is talking about it being a PITA to remove, but apparently once he got it out (he didn't follow up) it went back together properly. 43sqd (active in both threads) is an MB tech but he didn't really offer much in the way of a how-to.
From the links you provided it looks like Mercedes revised the design at some point. It's strange that it's not reflected in EPC. Their hoses end inside the opening, where as mine (before I broke it) ended outside, slipped onto a connector similar to that which is used for laboratory gas and water hoses which was then fitted inside the opening.

In the first thread one guy just talked about it "clicking into place" and another said he just used tape.
That's how I got the car home from where I was working on it when it became clear I wasn't going to be able to fix this quickly. I cleared the opening of any plastic fragments, taped it up, and drove it. You couldn't even tell there was a problem. However, I've never been one to jury rig things as a permanent fix. I'm a glutton for punishment, I suppose.

Good luck with it; please do post back with something definitive when you figure it out.
I'll be sure to. It's important to give back to the forum and I know just how frustrating it can be when someone starts a thread with the same problem as you and then disappears or says "Fixed it, never mind!" without giving any information.

Your posts reflect some decent mechanical ability/thought so hopefully you'll get there without too much more difficulty.
Thanks, that means a lot, especially coming from you.

The manifold itself comes off pretty easily if that will help to get at it. If you do end up having to go that route, replace the horrible-design vacuum line for the switchover valve that is at the front/bottom of the manifold while you have it out.

Good luck.
I'm hoping that won't be necessary and beginning to think it wouldn't really help anyway. Looking at the car again, the large plastic outer ring seems to be part of the manifold itself and it looks like there's a wall behind the connector. I think the next step is to make sure the hose is the correct diameter to fit inside the parts I bought and just throw caution to the wind and rip out what's left of the old connector.

I have replaced this thingamajig on my E430, it's not too bad once you get all the parts together in your hand. If I remember correctly, the plug (#62) is just that and not used on vehicles with power brakes. As for the pictures, I cannot see any but the parts listing you supplied, do you have better pictures of the broken/stuck piece?
Thanks, that makes things a bit clearer. I read your post just after looking more closely at 62 and being befuddled by its lack of any way for air to pass through. It's odd that you can't see the picture. I've viewed this thread on multiple computers and it always rendered fine. I'll attach it directly to this post. See my description of the broken part at the beginning.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,984 Posts
Thanks, that makes things a bit clearer. I read your post just after looking more closely at 62 and being befuddled by its lack of any way for air to pass through. It's odd that you can't see the picture. I've viewed this thread on multiple computers and it always rendered fine. I'll attach it directly to this post. See my description of the broken part at the beginning.
AHA! Ok, so that's what mine looked like when it snapped. I used a dash hook (the one used to remove the instrument cluster) and just reached down that hole and gently eased out the white piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz E320
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and I just so happen to have a set! The part number is W 140 589 02 33 00 for anyone who needs them in the future. Thanks much for taking the time to make a diagram. Another user suggested the same thing but deleted his post. I guess it's time to give this a try. Did you need any other parts, or were you able to get it connected with only 11, 17, and 23?

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz E320
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eventually I got it. Sorry it took me so long to report back. As others have said, the plug (62) is just that and is not involved. Unfortunately, in my case there was not enough clearance between the engine and the firewall to use the instrument cluster hook. I suspect it would work on M112 engined vehicles with larger engine bays such as the ML. I ended up fashioning a similar but shorter tool out of a coat hanger, using a pair of pliers to get a strong enough grip on it, hooking it behind the piece, and pulling.

After it started to come out a bit, I tried to use pliers to pull it out from the front, but it was so brittle it just broke into more pieces.

Eventually, after what seemed like an immeasurable amount of time spent pulling it out a bit from the back, breaking off a piece of the front, then doing it again, it broke out completely and was removed.

Here's a picture of the tool I made, the pieces of the connector, and the seal ring that was behind it. The outer black piece disappeared. It either disintegrated or fell into the engine bay as I pulled the rest out.

As you can see in my earlier picture, the connector left quite a bit of debris that you wouldn't want going into your engine. I vacuumed out the opening then cleaned it out with a rag. Afterwards it looked like this. My homemade tool left some scratches as a good deal of force was required to get the connector out. Perhaps it would have been wise to file down the end of the wire.

Here's the order in which the new parts are installed into the engine, the seal ring being the first, followed by the clamping ring and cap.

Here's what the parts look like installed in the engine. At this point you should just be able to press the hose in.

However, I found it easier to do with the cap off and threaded onto the hose. The clamping ring has little metal teeth that lock onto the hose and keep it in place. It takes a lot of force to get the hose into them. I also threaded the old seal ring onto hose after the cap in an attempt to provide a snugger fit and better seal. If you really want to go crazy, you should be able to fit another seal ring on the clamping ring between it and the opening.

Here's a final shot of the parts installed and the hose attached.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts

Excellent stuff. Sticky nomination, do I hear a second? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2001 E430
195 Posts
I had this exact same problem about 2 months ago and used a bent clothes hanger to get it out too. I almost did a DIY writeup but was too lazy. Looks like I should have as it would have possibly helped you a little quicker. Oh I almost forgot to mention the dealer told me it would take 3-4 days to get the hose so I had it over nighted from RMeuropean and even with the high expense of overnight shipping it was still cheaper then the dealer quoted me.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 1998 E320, 1986 300SDL, 1981 300SD, 1981 240D (rip)
55 Posts
Great write-up & pictures. Is it possible to stack the cap onto the hose and then fit the hose into the clamping ring and finally press the cap onto the clamping ring? (Rather than pressing the hose into the whole assembly?)

·
Registered
2001 E320 Brilliant Silver/Charcoal 2002 E320 Special Edition
286 Posts
Great Job!

Great pictures and write up! I commend you for following up and giving us a chance to learn something new.
:goojob:

Thanks!

Yes vote for Sticky.

·
Registered
98 320
440 Posts
I just did this last week. I put the cap and the clamp onto the hose and then pressed them into the opening on the block. Not easy but it worked.

·
Registered
2000 Merc. E320 4matic Wagon 210.282 Desert Silver
827 Posts
Nice! Another vote for a sticky.

Is this a result of the hippie environmental materials they used on the cars in the 90's? Are they continuing to use wiring and tubing that decomposes in ten years?

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz E320
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone, glad I could help.

I noticed the images broke for some reason so I'm re-uploading them here for longevity. There's nothing more maddening then coming across a useful DIY years after it was posted rendered useless by missing images.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts