Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear springs of my CDI were replaced at 108k miles by PO. Some time ago I noticed that there was a break in both of the springs (this is a known weakness of the W211). But, in both cases, the break is in the bottom-most portion of the spring, perhaps 180 degrees into the first coil from the bottom. As a result, the entire spring is perfectly seated and everything seems perfectly stable.

Is there any pressing need to replace the springs?

I'll be interested to see what my mechanic has to say...dropped it off today for (I assume) ball joints.

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
2,438 Posts
On my '07 E320 a 3 inch piece broke off on the RR. It was too big to bounce out of the spring and made an interesting clatter at low speeds.
If not for the noise I wouldn't have noticed. There was no apparent ride height difference.
I replaced both rears and again noticed no remarkable difference in ride though the noise was gone.
Skippy

·
Registered
87 Mercedes 300 SDL, 95 s320, 97 e420 (grandma's), 2004 E500 4matic wagon advantgarde
339 Posts
On my previous 140, I had that happen a 2 times. In reality, until it broke over half a coil on the one, it didn't cause any ride height differences. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
968 Posts
just had this happen last month on my CDI. original drivers side front spring broke at 446k miles due to corrosion (and most likely fatigue) check out IDparts for the sprigs, they have German made aftermarket springs that are 1/2 the cost of OEM springs.

·
Registered
2007 W211 E320 Bluetec
540 Posts
I'm dealing with this issue now myself. To me, the bottom of the rear springs appears to look overly corroded. Looking more into this issue it would appear that the spring has no sleeve and sit on bare metal, moving up and down...
MB parts catalogue offers or should I say suggest replacing the spring seat every time you change them but looking at this spring seat, it's nothing more than vinyl tubing that's been cut in half. So I think over time, it slips away. I did not find this on my car. So I'm thinking of slipping a piece of vinyl tubing over the bottom part of the spring. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 W211 E320 Bluetec
540 Posts
Well, I was wrong. These shims are metal. Very thin aluminum. Have a peak. What's interesting to note is that each side is made of 2 shims. One has a number 1 stamped in and the other number 2. So I guess the two shims together facilitate some kind of micro movement for the bottom of the spring? I'm just guessing here.

Something is not adding up. Perhaps they have me too many. EPC clearly shows one per side. Hmmm

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts