Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shifter has come loose and I am looking for a way to fix it. I was unsuccessful finding parts. It actually comes up enough I can see wires but I can push it back in. when I shift into drive and park it will come loose again. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Would this work?
Mask around the good show surfaces.
Clean 1st with rubbing alcohol to remove any slippery stuff...
Perhaps "Glue" is in place taped or weighted.
Note: use Clear Silicone RTV, which will remain flexible and when you need to remove it you saw around it to separate the silicone bead & 2 parts with dental floss.
No marring & not a permanent either.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the tab broke off on the end closest to the ashtray, open the ashtray door and slide a piece flat spring stock under the wood until the tip of the spring stock contacts the shifter bezel. Mark and remove the spring stock at the ashtray side and mark the bezel where the spring stock made contact. Remove the spring stock cut to size. Lift up the bezel and score the creating a slot for the spring stock end in the bezel with a small saw blade. Push and hold the bezel into place. Apply an adhesive like jb weld onto the upper side only of the ashtray tip of the spring steel. Move the spring steel under the wood and into the notch on the bezel that you have created by scoring it. Hold the glued spring steel in place until dry.
Hint: spring steel =old feeler gauge

·
Registered
35 Posts
If the tab broke off on the end closest to the ashtray, open the ashtray door and slide a piece flat spring stock under the wood until the tip of the spring stock contacts the shifter bezel. Mark and remove the spring stock at the ashtray side and mark the bezel where the spring stock made contact. Remove the spring stock cut to size. Lift up the bezel and score the creating a slot for the spring stock end in the bezel with a small saw blade. Push and hold the bezel into place. Apply an adhesive like jb weld onto the upper side only of the ashtray tip of the spring steel. Move the spring steel under the wood and into the notch on the bezel that you have created by scoring it. Hold the glued spring steel in place until dry.
Hint: spring steel =old feeler gauge
I repaired this same problem on my 02 coupe using epoxy putty... I recreated the broken off tab (yes, the one closest to the ashtray) by cleaning the area with alcohol, and then mixing a small amount of epoxy putty... mooshing and pressing it into place so as to assure good adhesion... then forming a slight "hook" or new tab. Then I test pressed it into it's place while the putty was still soft to ensure that an indentation where the bezel fits in was made... let the putty harden for 30 minutes, and then snap back into place, epoxy "tab" in first and snapping in the side and rear (closest to cup holder) tab last... good as new, but will snap back out if ever needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts