1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow moggers
I broke a shift lever in the top if the
Transmission, it's the lever pointing down
And moves the plate on top of the transmission.
The lever is repaired, and feels like it is shifting
Correctly but upon test drive it grinds and pops
Out of 5th gear, it will not completely go in to 5th.
Is there something I could have wrong with
The reassembly? Is there an adjustment?
Thanks for any ideas...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Use the clutch Frank... :D

Are you certain that the repair is perfect? That gear is closest to the doghouse too - check clearances, perhaps you put a slight bend in the upper lever when you were breaking the lower part. I'm thinking the lower lever angle is off though.

Is there any chance that a "foreign element" made it's way inside the gearbox while you had the top off?

Microbiology final is in the morning, but I'm going to bed and sleep on your problem :thumbsup:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
upon sleeping on it... could my problem be with
the 5th gear/ fork or ?? I mean, could something
be wrong with only the 5th gear that caused the broken
lever?
I test drove it and all the other gears seem to
engage fine.

why use the clutch Bryan?? ; )

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Frank, where did the lever break? And do you have any idea as to why? Was 5th working before? If it was working before I would suspect that your geometry between the lever and shift plate is somehow off. Sometimes if a shift fork doesn't move the collar 100%, torque will throw it back towards neutral..
Do you have access to another shift plate that you could swap on? I seem to remember that you were in possession of more than one mog.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Doc, Did you remove both the top cover and the shift plate from the transmission? It can be tricky to get the shift plate back on so all of the forks in their proper places. I think you might have missed on the one shift fork for that gear. I would pop the cover off and look though all the holes in the shift plate with a good flash light and make sure everything is where it is suppose to be.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Von, my mog addiction is only one deep. : )
I did not remove the shift plate, but Scott
suggested pulling the pto/side plate off to
check/ verify that the forks and collars are where
they should be......

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
a small update...when i dropped the bottom cover to the trans....i found that darn setscrew #22...fell out with the oil...
almost 2 years ago I had an episode with my transmission and since it was working fine i never "fixed" it....well, now the setscrew fell out and could be part of why 5th gear will not work properly?
I will be getting into it again this weekend and hopefully 1. fix setscrew 2. be able to shift into 5th again...yea...:eek:

btw...is the screw from this cluster?

i still need to raise the back end to spin the cluster with a mirror to see the set screw home..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update...
I was able to follow drembedded's instructions and got the setscrew into position and was happy...no drilling holes in the case necessary..

About the not shifting....
After thinking about it, I began to look for something that would keep the shifter from going all the way into 5th gear..turned the trans cover over and saw what appeared to be an adjusting screw right where the shift lever was while pressing into 5th..and when i turned the top plate over to adjust this screw, i felt dumb.....it was a screw holding on the cover plate to the shifting rod...there were 2 sets of (3) screws..I inadvertently switched them and the longer ones were keeping it from fully engaging in 5th...DOH!!...
soooo...another lesson learned the hard way...:D

·
Registered
520 Posts
[
Chop..[soooo...another lesson learned the hard way...:D[/QUOTE]

Well Frank at least through your sharing of your "lesson" with all of us,
we might get to skip having THAT problem. Thanks for sharing!
And good luck with your drive shaft.
Regards
Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts