Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The remote locking/unlocking of the trunk lock has failed. Locking still works manually, and the trunk open function is still fine, so I think there are likely some broke bits in the mechanism. I can hear the actuator moving, trying to do something, so probably a linkage.

Is accessing the trunk lock as simple popping the multiple slot covers on the trim by the lip of the trunk, undoing the fasteners beneath, and lifting off that trim strip?

If this is a common failure, and someone can suggest what to look for, that would expedite things !!

Regards -- Roger

·
Registered
745 Posts
Is accessing the trunk lock as simple popping the multiple slot covers on the trim by the lip of the trunk, undoing the fasteners beneath, and lifting off that trim strip?

Yes...using a very thin blade or mini-screwdriver, pry the 'little squares' off the trim piece. These are actually caps that fit onto the posts below to anchor the trim. Also remove the round sensor/switch on the center left of the trim; pry and pull, it's a friction-fit. With this stuff removed, the piece lifts more or less straight up; some minor back and forth 'jiggling' (technical term) may be necessary to help it out.

Someone else will have to help you with what to look for once the trim is out of the way

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
After the panel removal, you will see that most parts are located on the right side, then there is a rod that goes to the lock, it slides out.
Memorize the rods position.
Not easy to see.

Most likely the vacuum actuator is leaking.
If you remove or adjust the center lock, DO NOT CLOSE THE TRUNK.

If the adjustment is not right, you will not be able to open the trunk.
So play with it a few times with the trunk open.

Look on my thread.
Raping the trunk.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

Thanks for the input - sounds like the trim is a cinch !!

I did look for the aam post on 'Raping the trunk', both as a search and by going through all of your posts. A pointer / link would be helpful. I did see your post 'Soft Moaning noise when engine is turned off' , but figured that probably came somewhat later....

Regards -- Roger

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sensor switch on trunk lip edge - friction fit on 1999 ??

Hello,

Finally got a bunch of other car work out of the way and can tackle this project....

I started to pull the trim off the trunk lip, and then hit the round sensor/switch (towards the driver side of center). I did pry up the hard plastic retaining ring at the bottom, but when I started to pull up it seemed quite attached to something below. I just want to confirm it is a friction fit on the '99 before I pull on it and break something - the wife would be less than amused.... It also seems that a whole lot of the trunk trim has to be removed to allow the trim piece below the lip to be removed??

Thanks -- Roger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts