Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
Here is a set removed from 2001 ML320 with 500 miles on it. It was spare for my two ML's which I no longer own & I never broke one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
H

Hello
I have been trying to decipher these paint codes on my 2002 ML55 springs but to no avail. I'm trying to replace broken springs but could not find the exact paint code. Mine is white-green-brown/pink but I have seen white-blue-brown/pink and few other combo. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Head over here according to what is posted color is more of a coding of the type not the fit.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 5.5 liters
47 Posts
Head over here according to what is posted color is more of a coding of the type not the fit.

Thanks. But the coding on that thread is exclusive to W140

·
Registered
47 Posts
Respectfully, I dont agree with the statement in the older post#14 that megadamp posted. The shocks are definitely different, but also the springs.
ML55s had a 1" shorter ride height vs. other ML models.
Anyways, I digress.

Here is what I have on the springs -
"white - blue - pink" with the tag, stripped off an ML320
"white - green" off a 2000 ML55

View attachment 2618576 View attachment 2618577
From what I have gathered so far, the white - green - pink is exclusive to ml55. Unfortunately the these white-green-pink coil springs are extremely hard to find. If anyone has one for sale I'm desperately in need of a pair.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Thanks. But the coding on that thread is exclusive to W140
Agreed: But it gives some insight to what the coding is about. The question is do the colors mean the same across platforms?

At this point can't you just buy the correct aftermarket springs and rebuild each unit. In the states a brand new Bilstein is only going to cost 50$ US.

A whole Sachs strut spring 150, Bilstein 325.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
From what I have gathered so far, the white - green - pink is exclusive to ml55. Unfortunately the these white-green-pink coil springs are extremely hard to find. If anyone has one for sale I'm desperately in need of a pair.

Thanks to the members PTE, sgtpepperaut -----> Rear suspension coil over Install

And some research and build them - they are not that $ when you look at what $tearlership$ will charge for oem ML55 struts.

Other options....
  • $$pend more time looking for that needle in the haystack (time=$$$ and lost time use of your w163...),
  • go with suggestions posted by the other good members here (with a standard rear strut/spring) new or pickn pull, OR
" 'bend-over' to the $tealership " and order a pair. (they'll probably include free lube....)

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
H

Hello
I have been trying to decipher these paint codes on my 2002 ML55 springs but to no avail. I'm trying to replace broken springs but could not find the exact paint code. Mine is white-green-brown/pink but I have seen white-blue-brown/pink and few other combo. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Lord Braska
Found these by accident are they your colors?

ES#2678584 - 41-173435 - Hydro-Pneumatic Shock Assembly - Priced Each - Complete Assemble, Ready To Install - Fits Left Or Right Side - Includes New Spring - Bilstein - Mercedes Benz

Hydro-Pneumatic Shock Assembly - Priced Each
Complete Assemble, Ready To Install - Fits Left Or Right Side - Includes New Spring
For Vehicles With Spare Wheel Carrier With Spare Wheel - From Chassis: A 093894, Or From Chassis: X 700000 - Must Be Replaced In Pairs

Be the first to leave a review
|
Q&A

Mfg Part # 41-173435 ECS Part # ES#2678584

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lord Braska
Found these by accident are they your colors?

ES#2678584 - 41-173435 - Hydro-Pneumatic Shock Assembly - Priced Each - Complete Assemble, Ready To Install - Fits Left Or Right Side - Includes New Spring - Bilstein - Mercedes Benz

Hydro-Pneumatic Shock Assembly - Priced Each
Complete Assemble, Ready To Install - Fits Left Or Right Side - Includes New Spring
For Vehicles With Spare Wheel Carrier With Spare Wheel - From Chassis: A 093894, Or From Chassis: X 700000 - Must Be Replaced In Pairs

Be the first to leave a review
|
Q&A

Mfg Part # 41-173435 ECS Part # ES#2678584
Yes they are. But I found these on ebay a few days ago for $120 including shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Glad to see you got it solved!

I came across them while googling rear spare tire rack ( which we did not bother to ask if you have one), the rack that is outside the rear hatch. It seems that color coding is for a ML with that rack.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
When purchasing, just ensure/confirm with seller and the AD that the photos displayed are the REAL McCoy representation and NOT just used for illustrative purposes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did ask a lot of questions about the the strut. Most seller don't know anything about the coding on these coils they just tell you it fits this or that ML. This seller made it clear I will get exactly what's in the pictures. I also ask him to remove the shocks since they where clearly damaged.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad to see you got it solved!

I came across them while googling rear spare tire rack ( which we did not bother to ask if you have one), the rack that is outside the rear hatch. It seems that color coding is for a ML with that rack.
Do you have pics of the rack? I'm sure I have just wanna make sure

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I did ask a lot of questions about the the strut. Most seller don't know anything about the coding on these coils they just tell you it fits this or that ML. This seller made it clear I will get exactly what's in the pictures. I also ask him to remove the shocks since they where clearly damaged.
Good to know you are on top of it.
Keep the other components of the struts. You may possbily need them later. :)

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Lord Braska,

Hopefully, you'll have the correct OEM ML55 springs coming your way for your fix. :)

btw,
I still think you'd be better off with coil-overs (& B6s) at the rear using existing oem top strut components.
With 18" AMG wheels, this dropped our rear from 33.5" down to 31.75". Front torsions adjusted from 32.5" to settling down at 31.5"
Replacement polyU SB bushings front and rear, PU bushing rear links.
Everything has settled nicely and the ride vs. oem ML500 is much firmer. Speed bumps are good, no bounciness with the adjusted TBs (still using oem front shocks - may swap out later)

Coil-overs 650.png

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lord Braska,

Hopefully, you'll have the correct OEM ML55 springs coming your way for your fix. :)

btw,
I still think you'd be better off with coil-overs (& B6s) at the rear using existing oem top strut components.
With 18" AMG wheels, this dropped our rear from 33.5" down to 31.75". Front torsions adjusted from 32.5" to settling down at 31.5"
Replacement polyU SB bushings front and rear, PU bushing rear links.
Everything has settled nicely and the ride vs. oem ML500 is much firmer. Speed bumps are good, no bounciness with the adjusted TBs (still using oem front shocks - may swap out later)

View attachment 2619666
Interesting modification. Im currently experiencing some bounciness due to my front shocks being extremely soft (Detroit axle) and an increased ride height to compensate for the 20" custom wheels I bought the vehicle with. But I will be replacing the front shocks with KYB excel G. I don't think I can lower the ride height right now because of the custom wheels. But I will love to experience lower ride height and improved handling.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Interesting modification. Im currently experiencing some bounciness due to my front shocks being extremely soft (Detroit axle) and an increased ride height to compensate for the 20" custom wheels I bought the vehicle with. But I will be replacing the front shocks with KYB excel G. I don't think I can lower the ride height right now because of the custom wheels. But I will love to experience lower ride height and improved handling.
Don't get me started on Detroit Axle! For my GMC Sierra I purchased a steering rack. First one I mounted, then went to have a alignment was told I had a bad mounting bushing. The mechanic showed me how the rack was moving all over on one side. Okay after a bit of arm bending they sent me a bushing, which I had to replace. Have it aligned, month later it starts leaking same side as bushing, it was like who ever rebuilt it went to lunch after rebuilding the right side and did nothing to the left! They send me a replacement, that I had to pay for up front waited 3 weeks for a refund then needed to file a complaint with the credit card to get a refund. New rack on have it aligned again. about 8 months later It failed, internal seals. I gave up on them purchased another locally. they will not answer my complaint and request for at least a store credit. I ended up paying for 2 racks and getting one, plus three alignments, Their failing products cost me over 700.00$.

My advise for anyone stay away for Detroit Axle or proceed with extreme caution!

As to Shocks Lord Braska take a look here and add your opinion

Bilstein B4 vs B6, Kyb vs OEM

21 - 39 of 39 Posts