Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ML is starting to cost me $$$.

I took my ML to my Indie do to a highway vibration. Wanted to get the tires balenced.

He says their is a broken coil- wants $1300.00

Question- Can I replace the coil with a pull-off or do I need to purchase a complete strut assembly...either way, I'd like to go the pull off route. He said most of the cost is parts.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
You can go either way. Get spring and keep your old shock (as long as he has a good spring compressor) or change the whole strut.
1999 Mercedes Benz ML320 W163 Left Rear strut + spring | eBay
Both sides are the same and they should be changed in pairs (1633202313) only ML55 is different.
Mercedes Benz ML Rear Shock Absorber Rear Suspension Strut Assembly # 1633202313 | eBay
Maybe it was do to your rear end accident?
But they do crack, sear the forum for rear strut, oem made by KYB shipped in Sachs box. Latest list price was around $380.

·
Registered
2000 E320
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- found a pull off pair of struts (coil and shock) from a 320 that should fit for around $100 a piece. My indie would install for about $400 w alignment. Thoughs anyone?

Assuming shocks are good, is it easier just to replace the spring rather than the entire assembly?

·
Registered
2000 E320
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have read where the rear strut assembly is a pain. Is replacing the coil a DIY within reason, assuming you have a spring compressor, or do you have to completely remove the assembly regardless to replace the coil spring?

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,939 Posts
These are monster diameter coils. A very heavy duty compressor tool is a must or it will
be very dangerous to attempt.
In the amount of time it would take to do just the spring on one side it will only take a
bit longer to replace both entire rear assemblies. Based on the age of the truck doing just
the spring on one side is not recommended. Both sides should be done.

·
Registered
2000 E320
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gotcha. They are both broken anyway.

In the mean time before I get this done, how dangerous is this to drive around town?

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,939 Posts
Should not be a problem if gentle around turns especially with bumps.

Some people have driven on them a very long time, I would not do that.

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes ML350 SE, 2004 Mercedes ML350, 1999 Mercedes C280, 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser
547 Posts
if your doing a diy on taking the shock/spring assemble out...its not a complete pain in the butt but theres 3 bolts on top of the tower and one on the bottom...but the trick is you have to take the lower A arm out.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
I will do same before winter comes, my springs are nice as new but I can feel the shocks going south.
No wonder because I went over scrap yard scale with HD trailer and forklift battery on it at 9,520 lbs., later I loaded skyjack and i was close to 11,000 lbs.
I just wish I would have those big Brembo brakes on it like on ML500.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
You can go either way. Get spring and keep your old shock (as long as he has a good spring compressor) or change the whole strut.
1999 Mercedes Benz ML320 W163 Left Rear strut + spring | eBay
Both sides are the same and they should be changed in pairs (1633202313) only ML55 is different.
Mercedes Benz ML Rear Shock Absorber Rear Suspension Strut Assembly # 1633202313 | eBay
Maybe it was do to your rear end accident?
But they do crack, sear the forum for rear strut, oem made by KYB shipped in Sachs box. Latest list price was around $380.
I fitted ml 55amg rear shocks and spring unit to my ml320 and found no difference apart from firmer ride. The srings are the same. Just more pressure or smaller oil holes in the shocks.

·
Registered
'99 ML430 & '11 ML550
81 Posts
Wow - I was just told that my right rear coil was broken. Did you notice a difference in ride or appearance? I didn't on mine so I was surprised to hear about the broken coil. I had an indy locate a used coil and had him install it for about $400. The dealer was going to charge me $1,500 for replacing both rear springs/coils.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG (Silver)
1,149 Posts
I think the ML55 springs are .5" lower. Your probably not going to notice it because you stock springs were already sagging. When I replaced my 55 springs with OEM & new OEM shocks the ride height went up by almost an inch. Thats how much they sagged over 10 years.

I fitted ml 55amg rear shocks and spring unit to my ml320 and found no difference apart from firmer ride. The srings are the same. Just more pressure or smaller oil holes in the shocks.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
I think the ML55 springs are .5" lower. Your probably not going to notice it because you stock springs were already sagging. When I replaced my 55 springs with OEM & new OEM shocks the ride height went up by almost an inch. Thats how much they sagged over 10 years.
The springs are coded with dots of coloured paint. The paint code is the same on a 1999 ml320 and a 2002 ml55amg. I think the shock is the only difference, and it is something internal. Both units were the same size externally.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
Towing and suspension limits

Handling was fine but I (and also the truck) could clearly feel the weight behind us. Reward in the form of new struts is comming soon (within two months). My ML never had a hitch on it till I bought it 4 years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 E320
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I don't notice it. There is no "creaking" and the ride is firm w/no handling issues. I even jumped on the trailer hitch and bounced hard up down and noticed nothing.

I crawled under the car and did a visual inspection and the loops seem be to intact- there does appear to be a split in the paint on one side the the spring and I am wondering if that's what they are determining to be the "broken spring". I would like to get the wheels off and inspect the tops of the springs to see what's up there as well. If the paint is cracked then failure at some point appears to be imminent, but I am not sure it that has truely happen yet???

That being said, the truck and those struts are going on 13 years old and likely could use a change out anyway, but I am starting to wonder how acute I was lead to believe the problem really is.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
No, I don't notice it. There is no "creaking" and the ride is firm w/no handling issues. I even jumped on the trailer hitch and bounced hard up down and noticed nothing.

I crawled under the car and did a visual inspection and the loops seem be to intact- there does appear to be a split in the paint on one side the the spring and I am wondering if that's what they are determining to be the "broken spring". I would like to get the wheels off and inspect the tops of the springs to see what's up there as well. If the paint is cracked then failure at some point appears to be imminent, but I am not sure it that has truely happen yet???

That being said, the truck and those struts are going on 13 years old and likely could use a change out anyway, but I am starting to wonder how acute I was lead to believe the problem really is.
They usually crack at the bottom where the foam insulating stuff is. I think it holds moisture with rust being the result. If you jack up you car with the wheels hanging free, you will see if there is any cracks or breaks. That is how i found mine. It passed its anual mot test with two broken springs?, they can be hard to see. There was no handling issues at all with brocken springs, but in a bad situation that may have been different.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 5.5 liters
47 Posts
H
The springs are coded with dots of coloured paint. The paint code is the same on a 1999 ml320 and a 2002 ml55amg. I think the shock is the only difference, and it is something internal. Both units were the same size externally.
Hello
I have been trying to decipher these paint codes on my 2002 ML55 springs but to no avail. I'm trying to replace broken springs but could not find the exact paint code. Mine is white-green-brown/pink but I have seen white-blue-brown/pink and few other combo. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
H

Hello
I have been trying to decipher these paint codes on my 2002 ML55 springs but to no avail. I'm trying to replace broken springs but could not find the exact paint code. Mine is white-green-brown/pink but I have seen white-blue-brown/pink and few other combo. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Respectfully, I dont agree with the statement in the older post#14 that megadamp posted. The shocks are definitely different, but also the springs.
ML55s had a 1" shorter ride height vs. other ML models.
Anyways, I digress.

Here is what I have on the springs -
"white - blue - pink" with the tag, stripped off an ML320
"white - green" off a 2000 ML55

white green.jpg white blue pink.jpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts