Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL500, Later VIN, ESP
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped off the airbox to troubleshoot a misfire issue and apparently I also popped off the passenger rear airbox clip/post somehow. Perhaps it got brittle from heat and/or age or I just lifted the front of the airbox a bit too far lifting it out and the plastic/rubber post separated from the valve cover nub. I don't see an obvious way to fix this -- no screw or nut. Looks like it was molded onto the metal nub. Did a search and didn't find anything. Any help here is appreciated! Can this be fixed?

Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire

·
Registered
'96 SL 500
106 Posts
They are not to expensive to buy new.

Not sure on part number, someone should have it handy. If it's original MB part, it might have a part number on it.

I removed the other end on mine that is in the valve cover with some plumbers grips. Carefully, as I did not want anything to shear off. The metal disc with the rubber remains is what you want to remove, it's got a threaded rod on the other side that screws into the valve cover. In the meantime I don't think it's a huge issue if it is broken. But something you want to get replaced over the next few months.

Unscrew the nut off what is left of the rubber bit and re-use that on your new mount. Both ends are basically the same for these mounts.

Buy two, one for the other side as well. Worth getting new vacuum hoses if your ones are old/brittle. There might be a leakage in the rubber boot between the MAF and the throttle body causing poor running. It's not the easiest to replace though. You will probably break it when removing it. I bought a genuine MB part for that, but aftermarket for the other vacuum hoses. The throttle body may also be quite dirty. I replaced all those hoses and boots and cleaned the TB shortly after I bought my 1996 SL500. It's the same engine as yours, M119 with individual coils on spark plugs so generally they are quite good compared to earlier ones with the distributors which can cause issues.

I would check and/or replace spark plugs too as well as air filters. I'm not sure how long you have owned the car or it's previous service history or mileage so it's hard to comment.

·
Registered
1997 SL500, Later VIN, ESP
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are not to expensive to buy new.

Not sure on part number, someone should have it handy. If it's original MB part, it might have a part number on it.

I removed the other end on mine that is in the valve cover with some plumbers grips. Carefully, as I did not want anything to shear off. The metal disc with the rubber remains is what you want to remove, it's got a threaded rod on the other side that screws into the valve cover. In the meantime I don't think it's a huge issue if it is broken. But something you want to get replaced over the next few months.

Unscrew the nut off what is left of the rubber bit and re-use that on your new mount. Both ends are basically the same for these mounts.

Buy two, one for the other side as well. Worth getting new vacuum hoses if your ones are old/brittle. There might be a leakage in the rubber boot between the MAF and the throttle body causing poor running. It's not the easiest to replace though. You will probably break it when removing it. I bought a genuine MB part for that, but aftermarket for the other vacuum hoses. The throttle body may also be quite dirty. I replaced all those hoses and boots and cleaned the TB shortly after I bought my 1996 SL500. It's the same engine as yours, M119 with individual coils on spark plugs so generally they are quite good compared to earlier ones with the distributors which can cause issues.

I would check and/or replace spark plugs too as well as air filters. I'm not sure how long you have owned the car or it's previous service history or mileage so it's hard to comment.
Thanks for that mikes129! I didn't realize that leftover top nub was screwed on -- it didn't budge when I tried to turn it by hand.
For my '97 Part# is​
103-988-01-11. Today when I searched that part number I got other Benzworld threads that did not pop up yesterday when searching by keywords.

·
Registered
1995 SL320, SL500, 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
1,176 Posts
1039880111 - BUFFER Air cleaner to cylinder

1020940072 - NUT Air cleaner to cylinder

You will need 2 of each... and these can be PITA to unscrew (leftover) at times

Regards,
D

EDIT: Just did these recently:

If you have M119 car, the chances are you either already replaced the airbox rearwards mounting points, or if you have not - they may be missing by now... Rubber deteriorates over time, and snaps off, and what's left is just the mounting plate, screwed into the valve covers.

After 25+ years, mine were a bitch to remove, even with the locking pliers, these finally gave out after moderate "tap" or two on the edge mounted plate. Passenger side - I did have to unscrew wire rail and lift it upwards so I can slide the locking pliers under for leverage. Still, this side gave in only after a tap on the edge... I did use the anti-seize on the new pieces. Here is 20+ years more? 🍻

1 - 4 of 4 Posts