Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I drove to school today, another beautiful socal day, got to school, got my crap together and went to lock the door. Well I twisted the key and knew right away something was wrong, it felt like I broke the key in the lock, but I actually broke the lock. When I pulled out the key, the lock came with it. Anyone know how I could get a new lock, I might have to go by mbusa and have them take care of it. The lock has been sticky lately, but it has broken now, so the lord has forsaken me. Any help would be appreciated, thank you! If I go to MBusa I may get a courtesy car, which would rock my world, get to drive the c230 again, no problem with me, although you do get spoiled.

After that I pulled out my laptop and a screw fell out of it, man! Everything I got is falling apart.

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
I believe you're right about a visit to your dealer. Don't know if the lock cylinder is available separate. Unless you source a used door handle, but that means an unmatched key.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
If you get the whole lock system done. Could you PM me the final price from the dealer it's one of the things I might have to have done. Thanks

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
3,195 Posts
Lock inserts ar ecompatable, it is not a mission to a MB authorised lock shop to set new lock, stock and barrel to your key.

Someone thought my Merc was worth a lot a money and tried to steal it 4 months ago. Used a drillbit and cordless screwdriver. Not a way to steal my SLC (electric lock actuator).
I bought used handle, took damaged parts, went to place that made me a replacement key (MB authorised) and all is back to normal. It cost me in total ~100CND.
Later on, I realised that it was a waste of money as same story may repeat. Only then I took all parts out, put back broken parts and had them glued (2 component metal glue). I removed any levers remaining that were accessible trugh lock hole and nom my car can only be operated by the remote control. In case of flat battery, I can open boot, attach jumper leads to globe socket to unlock. Those with batt in the boot have it more simple. To be safe, I installed another electric C/L actuator in passenger door (in case one dies).

·
Registered
'79 450 SLC
456 Posts
It may be easier, and cheaper, to get a lock smith to look at it. They could probably refurbish it. And when you mean the lock came out was it the barrel or the whole handle? Either way if its just a linkage they're fairly easy to work on. Then you won't have to change all the locks in the car or have two sets of keys for one car.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lock barrel is broken near the end, the piece of metal gave up the ghost and broke a a 45* angle. This was a classical failure!

Djenka Someone really tried to steal your car, man what a chump the guy musta been. I'd think, except for getting into the car, once your in it you just pull the ignition and your there, I thought about how easy it would be to steal on of these things before. What a jerk, I couldn't imagine someone would want to steal my car, at least I hope not, I might just let them have it. People around here go for hondas, acuras, camrys, pickup, . . . , last but not least would be the benz. You couldn't sell it, maybe for scrap, the parts aren't worth enought to justify the effort to try and sell them. Where are you located, If you have RHD? They must be pretty hard up if they want to steal an old mercedes. I could have had some kids 325i at school, left the keys in the trunk. A honda motorcycle and motoscooter presented themselves in the same way. Oh well, I might not be typing now if I did though.

·
Registered
'79 450 SLC
456 Posts
daryn said:
The lock barrel is broken near the end, the piece of metal gave up the ghost and broke a a 45* angle. This was a classical failure!
Well then, that is good break. Anyway I'd still try a locksmith, they've probably encountered it before. They may be able to redo it from the passenger side lock. I can only imagine it'd be cheaper and easier than replacing ignition, doors and trunk locks, or getting an original shipped from germany.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Gusto: revisited

daryn said:

Djenka Someone really tried to steal your car, man what a chump the guy musta been. I'd think, except for getting into the car, once your in it you just pull the ignition and your there, I thought about how easy it would be to steal on of these things before. What a jerk, I couldn't imagine someone would want to steal my car, at least I hope not, I might just let them have it. People around here go for hondas, acuras, camrys, pickup, . . . , last but not least would be the benz. You couldn't sell it, maybe for scrap, the parts aren't worth enought to justify the effort to try and sell them. Where are you located, If you have RHD? They must be pretty hard up if they want to steal an old mercedes. I could have had some kids 325i at school, left the keys in the trunk. A honda motorcycle and motoscooter presented themselves in the same way. Oh well, I might not be typing now if I did though.
A new beginning, eh?
That you think of ways to shortcut speaks volumes.
It may seem easy to go for the gusto. In truth, that road is not paved well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts