Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone new to the forum. like a genius i broke the key tip in the ignition and im stumped on how to deal wth this i usually work on my vehicle myself due to high prices to deal with certain thing on this vehicle (2001 ml320). so far i have been considering bypassing with a push to start system my backyard guy is going to ty to take out the tumbler and remove the piece of key to have it recut to open doors or changing tumbler or ignition but i know the aam system and transponder in these things are tricky to work with. any ideas or suggestions on how to deal with this without going to stealership???????

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,971 Posts
hey everyone new to the forum. like a genius i broke the key tip in the ignition and im stumped on how to deal wth this i usually work on my vehicle myself due to high prices to deal with certain thing on this vehicle (2001 ml320). so far i have been considering bypassing with a push to start system my backyard guy is going to ty to take out the tumbler and remove the piece of key to have it recut to open doors or changing tumbler or ignition but i know the aam system and transponder in these things are tricky to work with. any ideas or suggestions on how to deal with this without going to stealership???????
Welcome Shaman369, :)

Some reading for you -

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
702 Posts
You have not specified which type key Your dealing with is it a flip key remote or a valet key?

If it is a valet key just go and order a new one it will have a transponder you’ll be set to go.

If it is a flip key you can go to your Benz dealer and just order a new blade. You can order blank blades on line but it is very hard to find somebody that can cut it. All this is dependent upon getting your blade out of the cylinder

Bobby did a post about buying a new cylinder totally and getting new keys. There are some other posts about converting to push button start . The main thing you need to know is that in some fashion you have to have an RF ID chip near the ignition cylinder Regardless. The chip is paired to the car and without it you will not be able to start.

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
602 Posts
The most important thing right now is "Can you turn the cylinder with the broken key" It's got to be in the #2 position to replace the cylinder..

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
702 Posts
Try and get the
its a key fob flipkey my only one
try and get the cylinder out as Bobby said if you can turn the cylinder that makes it easier. The wafers will hold the blade inplace. Once it is out just slamming it down (opening of cylinder downwards) on a work bench may force the blade to move close to the front so it can be grabbed with a yery fine pick. I don’t think there is a way to push it out from the back.

If you get it out order a new blade from dealer and a valet key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts