Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 SL
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE GOOD NEWS, I'VE BEEN GIVEN A 1985 380 SL FROM A FORGETFUL (KIND DESCRIPTION) ELDERLY UNCLE,
THE BAD NEWS, IT HAS BEEN SITTING WITH A DEAD BATTERY FOR A YEAR IN HIS GARAGE. MY DAD INSPECTED THE CAR AND SAID THE KEY FOB, LEATHER TURNS BUT DOES NOT TURN THE KEY IN THE IGNITION? COULD THE LEATHER KEY FOB HAVE SEPARATED FROM THE KEY SHAFT- I WON'T HAVE A CHANCE TO INSPECT UNTILL THIS SATURDAY WHEN I DRIVE 1 HOUR AWAY WITH MY PICK UP AND FRIENDS TO REPLACE THE BATTERY OR RECHARGE THE OLD ONE.

IT APPEARS THAT MY UNCLE WHO LOVES CARS BUT NO LONGER HAS THE ENERGY OR MIND TO MAINTAIN THEM AND COULD NOT GET THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION HIMSELF AND LEFT IT IN THE ON POSITION DRAINING THE BATTERY.

QUESTION 1. I HAVE RESTORED 50'S AND 60'S VINTAGE CARS BUT AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH DA BENZ, AS I PREPARE MY TOOLBOX WITH THINGS TO BRING TO TRY AND START THE CAR, HAS ANYONE EVER HAD A BROKEN KEY LIKE THIS AND ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO FIX IT OR GRAB WITH SOME OFFSET PLIERS MAYBE TO TURN IT OR PULL IT OUT IN THE INTERIM?

2. THE CAR IS BLACK, WITH 121,000 MILES, AND ACCORDING TO MY FATHER IT DROVE AND OPERATED WELL ONE YEAR AGO, AND IT'S APPEARANCE IS NUMBER 2-3. BESIDES TIMING CHAIN CHECK, BELTS AND HOSES WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU SUGGEST BEFORE CRANKING THE ENGINE. ?

3. WILL THE STAND FOR THE STEEL ROOF FIT IN THE BED OF STANDARD SHORT BED CHEVY PICK Up.? DOES ANYONE KNOW THE DIMENSIONS OF THE ROOF STAND?

4. I AM BRINGING A NEW BATTERY, AND BATTERY CHARGERS, I BELIEVE THE BATTERY IS IN THE TRUNK, ANY SPECIAL TECHNIQUES FOR JUMPSTARTING.?

ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HELP IS APPRECIATED THANKS IN ADVANCE,

BRIAN RENO- BARRINGTON IL

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,251 Posts
THE GOOD NEWS, I'VE BEEN GIVEN A 1985 380 SL FROM A FORGETFUL (KIND DESCRIPTION) ELDERLY UNCLE,
Hi Brian, welcome to the 107 Nation. I think you'll find the answers to these questions and more here but many of us would respectfully request that you lower your caps. Typing in all caps is the equivalent of yelling when you type. Of course, I'd yell too if someone had just given me my first 107. As a matter of fact, I think I did.

THE BAD NEWS, IT HAS BEEN SITTING WITH A DEAD BATTERY FOR A YEAR IN HIS GARAGE.
That's longer than they like to sit but it's not fatal.

MY DAD INSPECTED THE CAR AND SAID THE KEY FOB, LEATHER TURNS BUT DOES NOT TURN THE KEY IN THE IGNITION? COULD THE LEATHER KEY FOB HAVE SEPARATED FROM THE KEY SHAFT- I WON'T HAVE A CHANCE TO INSPECT UNTILL THIS SATURDAY WHEN I DRIVE 1 HOUR AWAY WITH MY PICK UP AND FRIENDS TO REPLACE THE BATTERY OR RECHARGE THE OLD ONE. IT APPEARS THAT MY UNCLE WHO LOVES CARS BUT NO LONGER HAS THE ENERGY OR MIND TO MAINTAIN THEM AND COULD NOT GET THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION HIMSELF AND LEFT IT IN THE ON POSITION DRAINING THE BATTERY.
Does it look like this?

Is that the only key? Most likely, the rubber head has snapped off the key shaft. The leather should be removable but is somewhat rare so try to save it if you can. If you can't they're usually on ebay fairly cheap. Your local Benz dealer will be able to provide you with replacement keys (pricier than what you'd pay for a key at Home Depot but you can't buy one there. You need to show proof of ownership to the dealer to get the keys.

QUESTION 1. I HAVE RESTORED 50'S AND 60'S VINTAGE CARS BUT AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH DA BENZ, AS I PREPARE MY TOOLBOX WITH THINGS TO BRING TO TRY AND START THE CAR, HAS ANYONE EVER HAD A BROKEN KEY LIKE THIS AND ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO FIX IT OR GRAB WITH SOME OFFSET PLIERS MAYBE TO TURN IT OR PULL IT OUT IN THE INTERIM?
I'd try something in a needlenose but I haven't heard of anyone having this issue. Perhaps someone else will chime in with a response.

2. THE CAR IS BLACK, WITH 121,000 MILES, AND ACCORDING TO MY FATHER IT DROVE AND OPERATED WELL ONE YEAR AGO, AND IT'S APPEARANCE IS NUMBER 2-3. BESIDES TIMING CHAIN CHECK, BELTS AND HOSES WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU SUGGEST BEFORE CRANKING THE ENGINE. ?
Drain the oil and refill. Nine Quarts! Replace the fuel filter located under the car just inboard of the right rear wheel. You'll see it in a cluster containing the fuel pump, filter and fuel accumulator. Don't try anything fancy like turning the motor without power to the distributor or you may fry expensive electricals.

3. WILL THE STAND FOR THE STEEL ROOF FIT IN THE BED OF STANDARD SHORT BED CHEVY PICK Up.? DOES ANYONE KNOW THE DIMENSIONS OF THE ROOF STAND?
Yes. Mine is stored right now but it's about 2 x 3. (more or less).

4. I AM BRINGING A NEW BATTERY, AND BATTERY CHARGERS, I BELIEVE THE BATTERY IS IN THE TRUNK, ANY SPECIAL TECHNIQUES FOR JUMPSTARTING.?
Be careful with the clamps that hold the batter box cover shut. The years have not been kind to these parts and they may separate without care when opening. Otherwise, it's your basic pos to pos and neg to neg.

ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HELP IS APPRECIATED THANKS IN ADVANCE,

BRIAN RENO- BARRINGTON IL
Let us know how you make out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts