Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 C230, 1998 E320 4matic Wagon, 1988 300TE Wagon
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,
I recently purchased an E320 4matic wagon and I haven't purchased a good service manual. So please bear with me. I'm having a bit of trouble locating the anchor bolts to the lock and tumbler for the rear hatch. My key will only go in about an inch. I need to disassemble to clear an obstruction. Does anyone know the procedure?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, davidrol. I can't speak to the details of the wagon assembly, but I can tell you that depending on what you think is in there it may not be necessary to disassemble it. Locksmiths have tools that are designed to remove broken keys, etc. from locks, and many that I've known over the years would consider it a personal challenge to extract the object, failing which they would take very little money, if any. Personally, for all the aggravation, etc. that is where I would start. ;)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
What year

wagon?In thousands of openings of the hatch on our wagon I don't think we have ever had occasion to pull out the blade key and use it.We just pop the infrared and open her up:thumbsup:
ohlord:bowdown:
btw manuals are all on dvd from the dealer or online mbusa do not get the pirated versions on ebay.
Wedgeco - Broken Key Extractor Kit
or follow gregs instructions and drive to a locksmith...messing with w210 locks can lead to more headaches than you already have

·
Registered
1997 C230, 1998 E320 4matic Wagon, 1988 300TE Wagon
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a look at the inside circuit board of my pse pump the other day. I had been wet and leaded joints are green from the exposure. Hence, I can lock, but, not unlock using the remote. The console lock switch is, also, inop. I'm in the process of searching for a used and priceworthy replacement pse. I thought if I can remove the lock's cylinder, I could tap it out or separate and reassemble. The locksmith idea sounds like the best solution, yet. I thank you for your input.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
What year

I can get a pse for you I think.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
ohlord said:
Broken Key Extractor Kit - link disabled
or follow gregs instructions and drive to a locksmith...messing with w210 locks can lead to more headaches than you already have
Hey folks. Having done some locksmithing in my life I would respectfully recommend not purchasing a DIY broken key extractor kit. If used improperly they can damage the lock (relatively rare) but worse, if used improperly they can break off in the lock, and then you are definitely looking at a much more expensive repair. And it can be very tricky to extract a broken key from car locks of all types; they are a different design from house locks (which are pretty easy to work on by comparison). Although not as extreme a possible result, think of it like a DIY bomb defusing kit; if you could buy one online, should you use it? ;)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts