Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello lads,

my sl500 was broken in, damaged roof, dashboard and ignition. I don't really worry about the roof and dash at the moment as got my insurance involved.
My concern is the ignition, I have ordered a new ignition cylinder 1264600604 and a new ignition lock 1244623630,
by looking at the picture could anything else be required or i need to strip it down to see it? i cant really touch it until the assessor comes out for an inspection

thanks for any advice

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 500 SL,1995 E 320
71 Posts
I’m so sorry that some thief did that to your car or anyone’s property. I don’t have the answers you’re looking for, but just wanted to say that. It’s got me thinking twice about parking my car outside now. I moved from the mainland USA, Georgia to Hawaii a little over a year ago, and garages are expensive here, so I park in the parking lot with my soft top up and car cover on. Houses are so small here that I have to store my hardtop at a friend’s house. I just may put it back on until I get back.

·
Registered
1990 500 SL,1995 E 320
71 Posts
Man! I think it’s pretty tricky to do, but I believe you can manually lower the soft top and install the hardtop? At least I know I can in my 1990, but I do know the later models were a bit different. Good luck.

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i can do put the ST in but the hardtop will not lock in,
im more concern about the ignition and get The car running again

·
Registered
3 Mercedes'; 14 BMW's; 3 Other
98 Posts
Sorry can't help you, but I am very interested in this thread. I bought a '98 SL600 that was a theft recovery with the ignition out. I really need help with the process of getting it to run so i am subscribing to this. I can only hope the forum guru's reply and help us both!

Thank you for your original post!

Mike

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
two parts ordered, should have them within 2-3 weeks
I will post and progress,

If there is any could help i will be appreciated ...😎

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had no keys, nor the complete ignition assembly. I now have them and will put them in after I take care of some other issues. The mechanics of installing everything isn't a big deal, it's the computer related stuff I'm concerned about. The ignition and key I ordered are specific to this car, so I'm hoping I can just get in and start it.....

We'll see.

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had no keys, nor the complete ignition assembly. I now have them and will put them in after I take care of some other issues. The mechanics of installing everything isn't a big deal, it's the computer related stuff I'm concerned about. The ignition and key I ordered are specific to this car, so I'm hoping I can just get in and start it.....

We'll see.
Mike, as far as i was told at MB dealer if you replace ignition switch you will need a GREY codding key from MB otherwise engine will not start,

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,422 Posts
Hello lads,

my sl500 was broken in, damaged roof, dashboard and ignition. I don't really worry about the roof and dash at the moment as got my insurance involved.
My concern is the ignition, I have ordered a new ignition cylinder 1264600604 and a new ignition lock 1244623630,
by looking at the picture could anything else be required or i need to strip it down to see it? i cant really touch it until the assessor comes out for an inspection

thanks for any advice

Those parts are not for your r129 car.

Aftermarket, ignition parts, will not open the other locks.
Better buy the tumbler, comes with original cut key, casing, from MB dealer.
You may need to also replace the ignition switch...
Sorry about your problem.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those parts are not for your r129 car.

Aftermarket, ignition parts, will not open the other locks.
Better buy the tumbler, comes with original cut key, casing, from MB dealer.
You may need to also replace the ignition switch...
Sorry about your problem.

Regards,
aam.
just ordered from main dealer

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think yua are right, just double checked my emails with the dealer, they mixed up my SL and W124 :cautious: i wil call them in a few min to cnacell it if tehy can :mad:

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I picked up all my ignition parts from the dealer, they didn't say anything about a coding key....

What's up with that? I'll have to call my parts guy and recheck the MB repair system.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,422 Posts
You can install the hard top without the ignition. You just need the special wrench, or if you are...
you can improvise...;)
If,
you have no special wrench for the rear locks.
A 10mm open wrench, if you grind the sides, will also do.
If the rear lock key way is worn out.
You can take a 3/4 x6" copper tube, make one end a little oval, to go around the lock...

For the front locks, I don't remember the size, I think is a 5mm, Allen wrench.

You can also replace the ignition without codes, as long and you don't go deep, or mess with the alarm module...
OK,
maybe the radio code. Lol.
Search, and you should find.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I picked up all my ignition parts from the dealer, they didn't say anything about a coding key....

What's up with that? I'll have to call my parts guy and recheck the MB repair system.
im not sure what they meant about the codding grey key, just someone in parts department mentioned that

·
Registered
SL 500 1996
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can install the hard top without the ignition. You just need the special wrench, or if you are...
you can improvise...;)
If,
you have no special wrench for the rear locks.
A 10mm open wrench, if you grind the sides, will also do.
If the rear lock key way is worn out.
You can take a 3/4 x6" copper tube, make one end a little oval, to go around the lock...

For the front locks, I don't remember the size, I think is a 5mm, Allen wrench.

You can also replace the ignition without codes, as long and you don't go deep, or mess with the alarm module...
OK,
maybe the radio code. Lol.
Search, and you should find.

Regards,
aam.
do you mean if i replace the key barrel in ignition switch i wont need codding?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts