Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes. This week has been problem after problem. I broke my key off in my door today. Didnt even put much pressure on it but i guess to much. How can i go about getting another key? My remote has a code (129 760 00/10 16) Is that the code i need to get another key cut? Sadly all my insurance papers and drivers licence are in the car. Will Mercedes cut me a key just with the code? My car is sitting in the ghetto at a friends so i want to get it out of there asap. Also does anyone know how i can get my lock poped? If someone does and could PM me how that would be awesome. I tryed getting a coat hanger in through the window but they are way to tight of a seal.

Thanks, Chris

·
Administrator
8,714 Posts
Chris, do I assume you only have one key?

Usually the cars have three or four including a valet key and a flat key. Any of these should allow you to get into the car from the passenger side.

Once you get this problem fixed I would recommend that you order spare keys :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
8,714 Posts
I suppose you can't get a pair of small point nosed pliers onto the broken key?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
That code is a part number. To order a key you must give the dealer the VIN and proof of ownership. If you have CAA, get them to open it or get a tow truck driver to open it. It is a bit tricky, CAA guy took over 2 hours when this happened to me at the border. Luckily on the canadian side. On the US side they would have towed it immediately because of car bomb threat paranoia.

·
Greek God of the R129
8,365 Posts
Call a lock smith or a club.
They have tools to open the door then pull key out of the lock.
They can cut you a cheep key like you had from the old.
Mercedes keys don't brake easy.
( The center is made of steel. )

If you want to do it yourself.
If you have a thin fishing rod or a wire with a bend about 4' to rich from one door to the other to pull the handle.
You go in from the space between the the glass and the top to the other side.
HAha.
Two hrs. 10 minutes is plenty. ;)
You go to the dealer with your title and drivers license.
They can order the key, is going to take a few days.
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of manually poping the top from the back and hoping that would give me enough room to get something in to pop the lock. Anyone attempted this? My car is an hour away so would be nice to actually get into it instead of failing again lol.
As for getting the key out im told to use a scroll saw blade and try to pull it out that way. i also have some picks at work im going to take. Dealership told me 3 days for the key. The key must have had a small cack or somethhing on it cause it deinatly didnt take much to snap it off.

·
Greek God of the R129
8,365 Posts
Haha.
I see you like to do things the hard way.
You could have a key from the dealer by now, $35.
This is the cheapest way, then with this key you'll be driving the car home.
Ones home you can work it easier.

Or if you are lucky and you pull the key out, cut an other,
more money and low quality key.

Don't screw up the door lock is like $ 350

How are you going in the trunk to open the cylinders?
You must remove the panels to get to them.
It is not easy.
Yes you can lock them.
Opening them is an other story.
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
24 Posts
dealer can cut you a flat key right away at the parts dept. they charged me $35 and didn't need anything but proof of ownership and vin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have got the car home. i got the half of key out of the door and put it in the ignition. Then used the other half to push it in the rest of the way to start it. The mercedes dealerships here can not cut me a key. I had to order it.

·
Greek God of the R129
8,365 Posts
One screw up was excused you didn't know.
Second, you pushed the broken key in.
I hope you were able to get the key out.
If not.
May the Gods, help you.
Or maybe Zeus could. ;) Haha.
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
Should have used 'super glue', then you can get that broken part out later.

Frankly, it would be cheaper to have the car towed home instead of pushing in the broken key. Now you likely would have to tow it to the Dealer and pay $$$ for them to remove that broken key, and then order/cut a new key.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts