Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
(W163) 2005 ML 350 2002 ML 500 1999 ML 430
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Resolve issue with fuel pump first. Even if immobilizer is questionable engine will crank, start and stall.

With scanner look in engine live data for driver authorization.
I have an icarsoft i980 would that do it? It does crank just no start

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I bought a multimeter so if someone could tell me exactly what wires to test, how and when (key on or off) that would be great. I also bought a fuel pressure gauge and made a jumper wire. Based on what I’m reading I should jump fuel pump relay K3 at terminals 30 and 87 making sure to touch the two silver parts. What should I do if it cranks? Immediately remove the wire? If it doesn’t what would the next step be? Thank you

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,715 Posts
I bought a multimeter so if someone could tell me exactly what wires to test, how and when (key on or off) that would be great. I also bought a fuel pressure gauge and made a jumper wire. Based on what I’m reading I should jump fuel pump relay K3 at terminals 30 and 87 making sure to touch the two silver parts. What should I do if it cranks? Immediately remove the wire? If it doesn’t what would the next step be? Thank you
Before you jump any relays take pictures of the area. Wide angle first, then close up.
No need to smoke engine control module.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Check battery voltage first What is it?

I did in post 48. As has been said you will get voltage only for a few seconds. That is why you need a second person
Your fuse box is in the footwell correct? Open it look for the nut with brown wire.
Go back to post 48

If there is air in the line as drx suggested. You could have a column of air in the line. Air is a fluid so if pump is on you will still have the column of air and a column of gas pushing it
Since no ingnition the injectors are not open enough to bleed the air out.

The start on a Mercedes is not like say my gmc. If I run out of gas in my gmc I can crank it till the battery is dead. Mercedes you can not continually crank. But successive start attempts would bleed air out on an ml don’t know how many it take..

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Resolve issue with fuel pump first. Even if immobilizer is questionable engine will crank, start and stall.

My carsoft scanner does have a live data function. Doesn’t the engine have to be running to get live data?

Thank You!

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,715 Posts
My carsoft scanner does have a live data function. Doesn’t the engine have to be running to get live data?

Thank You!
No, engine does not have to be running to look at live data.

Have you sorted issue with fuel feed?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
No, engine does not have to be running to look at live data.

Have you sorted issue with fuel feed?
Yes everything is connected as it should be. Radio Alarm LED blinks once to indicate key is being recognized. Vehicle cranks but won’t start. I will check live data feed.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
As recommended by Witek_M here are the results of the engine live data for driver authorization. 199 Immobilizer shows NOT ACTIVE. 197 Status of drive authorization as immobilizer is activated. Does this mean something is wrong with the immobilizer? What exactly is the immobilizer is that the coil ring that goes around the key hole with the two wires and box that clip onto the steering wheel? Thank You

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

I have posted the results in the post above. Please let me know what you think about it.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
How much fuel is in tank?

You are going nowhere until you remove the air trapped in the fuel line. Have you connected the fuel pressure gauge?

You are barking up the wrong tree checking the immobilizer. It’s fine, until you get a short crank-immediate stall condition.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
How much fuel is in tank?

You are going nowhere until you remove the air trapped in the fuel line. Have you connected the fuel pressure gauge?
I have 3/8 fuel in the tank, I cranked the engine a few times and pressed the Schrader valve to let air out while having someone else crank the engine. Fuel pressure shows up as 0.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,715 Posts
I have 3/8 fuel in the tank, I cranked the engine a few times and pressed the Schrader valve to let air out while having someone else crank the engine. Fuel pressure shows up as 0.
Have you checked voltage at the fuse and pump?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,715 Posts
As recommended by Witek_M here are the results of the engine live data for driver authorization. 199 Immobilizer shows NOT ACTIVE. 197 Status of drive authorization as immobilizer is activated. Does this mean something is wrong with the immobilizer? What exactly is the immobilizer is that the coil ring that goes around the key hole with the two wires and box that clip onto the steering wheel? Thank You
View attachment 2632610
Only important values are 196 and 199.
197 means that immobilizer is installed and initialized.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
I have 3/8 fuel in the tank, I cranked the engine a few times and pressed the Schrader valve to let air out while having someone else crank the engine.
Very good. Repeat this procedure until fuel comes out of the Schrader valve.

The immobilizer is fine. Forget about it.

If you aren’t winning, check the installation of the fuel pump, fuel filter and lines. Something isn’t correct. Is the pump running? Is the fuel line pinched somewhere?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Very good. Repeat this procedure until fuel comes out of the Schrader valve.

The immobilizer is fine. Forget about it.

If you aren’t winning, check the installation of the fuel pump, fuel filter and lines. Something isn’t correct. Is the pump running? Is the fuel line pinched somewhere?
Wouldn’t that kill the starter if I continue doing it? Installation of fuel pump filter and lines are correct, everything is right and pump isn’t making any noise. It is a new pump and not a cheap one.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,405 Posts
If you don’t want to burn out your starter, run the pump by bypassing the relay. Remove the F2k2 relay and bridge sockets 30 and 87 with a bent metal strip or jumper made with wire and spade connectors. That should work if the pump is plugged in.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Boss this keeps me scratching my head.

But just was thinking assuming everything thing is connected correctly. You said you were not cheap on the pump.

But what brand fuel filter did you use?

What brand fuel pumps did you install?

Brand and part number please.

I am hoping you have access to the pump, if it were me I would unplug the filter electrical connector attach my volt meter, jump the relay and see if I have voltage.

If there is 12+ volts then bad pump or something is connected Incorrectly.

If no voltage then it is electrical and start going backwards.

Please check your battery voltage.

I just read another tread where the poster replaced fuel filter and other items.
No start, one parts was the crank shaft position sensor as well. Takes it out, puts the old one in, it starts! The replacement was not a Bosch. You would not be the first to have a bad part out of the box. Say fuel filter.

Just to be cleari I believe in the post he has pressure just using it it illustrate bad new part.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts